First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wanting info

Mars Hill, NC

#1 Jan 31, 2012
Anyone have personal experiences with the early college program? Would love "educated" responses please.....

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#2 Jan 31, 2012
it is worth it. take all the classes you can. you could knock your freshman year out by doing it. and its free . enter college as a sophmore

Location hidden

#3 Jan 31, 2012
sophomore*
freaking brilliant

Marion, NC

#4 Jan 31, 2012
You can take all the community college classes you want without Early College's permission. You could graduate high school and get a bachelor's degree by age 15 if you forget the stupid school rules. Early College is fine, nice kids, nice faculty, but it's a huge waste of money, squandering ungodly fortunes on obsolete laptops no kid would want. Just throwing good money after bad, but it IS a nice school, and you could do a lot worse, if you're looking to take the slowest route possible to getting an education. Good luck.
Really

Burnsville, NC

#5 Jan 31, 2012
The best source for information is McDowell County Schools Central Office. Its my understanding that it is possible to knock two years off of a four year degree. I know some students that started as Juniors, which is quite a savings.
Wanting info

Mars Hill, NC

#6 Jan 31, 2012
Thanks everyone. My daughter is applying. Please wish her luck as there are only 40 spots this year!
Wanting info

Mars Hill, NC

#7 Jan 31, 2012
Sorry that posted twice!
Really

Burnsville, NC

#8 Feb 1, 2012
freaking brilliant wrote:
You can take all the community college classes you want without Early College's permission. You could graduate high school and get a bachelor's degree by age 15 if you forget the stupid school rules. Early College is fine, nice kids, nice faculty, but it's a huge waste of money, squandering ungodly fortunes on obsolete laptops no kid would want. Just throwing good money after bad, but it IS a nice school, and you could do a lot worse, if you're looking to take the slowest route possible to getting an education. Good luck.
Its hard to tell if your just have a bad attitude, totally ignorant of facts or just a ignorant hick. Early college is one of the finist things to happen in education in a long time and makes it possible for a lot of people to earn a degree at an affordable price. I really think your just stupid!!!!!

Location hidden

#9 Feb 1, 2012
yea. if i could go back i would take early college and graduate college with a bachelors degree before i even graduated high school. it is well worth it
RID-X

United States

#10 Feb 1, 2012
Early college is fantastic. Good luck to you and your daughter.
meme

Barnardsville, NC

#11 Feb 1, 2012
my son got in this year and he loves it.teachers are great they help one on one and everyone gets alone.all should try to get in.great program.
Wanting info

Mars Hill, NC

#12 Feb 1, 2012
Thanks rid-x and meme

Since: Oct 11

Marion, NC

#13 Feb 1, 2012
It is a great school and a great opportunity. The only drawbacks that I could see (at the talk) was if your child was set on njrotc or band or thought that they would not want to stay in. I assume you went to the same talk last night.

Ultimately, if your child is not committed to staying in, I would not even let them apply. The associates degree may only be accepted by certain schools towards their bachelors.

Also, if your child decides to leave mid year, they will have to go to the alternate school to finish that year out and will be unable to go back to the junior high. If they drop in another grade mid-year, it will be very difficult for them since early college goes at a different pace than the regular school.
Wanting info

Mars Hill, NC

#14 Feb 1, 2012
Srsly yes I went to the meeting and from what I gather, it's a great opportunity. I hope my child gets selected, my nephew is in his 1st year there and loves it. Good luck to your child as well!
trixie

United States

#15 Feb 1, 2012
Early college is great but it points out how pathetic our regular schools are. Every jr high and the hs could have the same teachers and programs if they wanted. it's sad that we have to see a special program as the only good education; all the schools should be this way.
freaking brilliant

Marion, NC

#16 Feb 1, 2012
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Its hard to tell if your just have a bad attitude, totally ignorant of facts or just a ignorant hick. Early college is one of the finist things to happen in education in a long time and makes it possible for a lot of people to earn a degree at an affordable price. I really think your just stupid!!!!!
Yes, I have a bad attitude and yes I am an ignorant hick, buy no I am not ignorant of the facts. I have spent a hell of a lot of time at all the local schools, EC included. Why are you so full of hate?
I said it was a nice school, full of nice kids and a nice faculty. What the hell has got you all upset?
The so-called "1 to 1" computer program was and is a huge money pit. Kids need to learn laptop computing about as much as they need to learn to work a rotary-dialed telephone. They are obsolete and the4y cost a shitload of money. About what you'd expect, the brainchild of a septuagenarian lame duck superintendent.
Sure it's a nice idea for academically motivated kids to lay up some college credit, I'm just saying you can do that from any school anywhere. You don't have to be a EC to do it. The average kid could graduate high school and college by age 18 if they had a few basic work skills and were freed from the constraints of government school bureaucracy. Sorry that upset you, my cosmopolitan friend.
Go EC!!
Hick

Little Switzerland, NC

#17 Feb 1, 2012
<quoted text>
Yes, I have a bad attitude and yes I am an ignorant hick, buy no I am not ignorant of the facts. I have spent a hell of a lot of time at all the local schools, EC included. Why are you so full of hate?
I said it was a nice school, full of nice kids and a nice faculty. What the hell has got you all upset?
The so-called "1 to 1" computer program was and is a huge money pit. Kids need to learn laptop computing about as much as they need to learn to work a rotary-dialed telephone. They are obsolete and the4y cost a shitload of money. About what you'd expect, the brainchild of a septuagenarian lame duck superintendent.
Sure it's a nice idea for academically motivated kids to lay up some college credit, I'm just saying you can do that from any school anywhere. You don't have to be a EC to do it. The average kid could graduate high school and college by age 18 if they had a few basic work skills and were freed from the constraints of government school bureaucracy. Sorry that upset you, my cosmopolitan friend.
Go EC!!
U are an ignorant hick!
freaking brilliant

Marion, NC

#18 Feb 1, 2012
U R jealous.
Hick

Little Switzerland, NC

#19 Feb 1, 2012
U R jealous.
Of what? Your red neck?
freaking brilliant

Marion, NC

#20 Feb 1, 2012
No, my enormous endowment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
highway gypsies? (Nov '12) 16 hr Still standing 20
Personnel Manager @ Wal-Mart (Aug '13) 22 hr Keith 19
Whose Husband is Shannon Wise messing around wi... Sat Youaintallthat 21
mcdowells biggest meth heads Sat Methisthedevil 12
Christianity is retarded Sat yeshua 10
Nicole B Sat Justice for all 3
Anyone interested in pics of Kendra Braswell an... Fri Alex 15

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance