ggalin

Morganton, NC

#145 May 1, 2009
but weakness four or five times fails to be simply weakness anymore. it's an addiction. a sexual addiction.
Jennings

Duncan, SC

#146 May 3, 2009
Church is a place where McDowell County Pharisees show their backsides.
Mama

Greenville, SC

#147 May 8, 2009
Back to the original question...I recommend New Manna Baptist...The pastor is a very good pastor and cares about his church family as well as a very good preacher. The church has wonderful good music. The youth choir is one of the best around. You can pick up a CD at the Bread from Heaven book store and hear for yourself the music at the church. Has a wonderful youth ministry as well as a great bus ministry. Just an example..the leader of the bus ministry was saved at New Manna when he was a child coming in on the bus. Today he is doing a wonderful work with the bus children. COME ON IN AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.
ultra world

Greer, SC

#148 May 8, 2009
Hey Mama, I know you are probably a good person and I do respect you and your comments. I could not go to New Manna because of the self rightous and spritual arrogance that many of the people that go there exhibit. I was very offended when I heard that at the youth rally a skit made fun of Joel Osteen and his ministry. No matter what, when we disagree with others we have to do it with respect for all. What is Tony Shirley teaching these young people by low rating Joel and his ministry. That did it for me, what pride. I used to like Tony, now I am convinced he is a hot shot know it all like Danny. I got news for all, if it wasn't for Joel Osteen I would have put a bullet in my head 3 years ago. I went thru Hell and wanted to die, yes I am saved, but Joel and his very loving positive preaching was used by God to pull me through.
Mama

Greenville, SC

#149 May 8, 2009
ultra world, I'm so glad you are saved and we will be in Heaven together someday, thanks to Jesus.
JustMe

Lincolnton, NC

#150 May 8, 2009
What did they do in the skit? Do you have specifics or are you just going on what someone told you?
Joe Golver

Greer, SC

#151 May 9, 2009
my sister in law goes there and told exactly what it was, laughing and putting the guy down. The mocked him dressing some dude up in a shiney suit in front of a big brass replica of the earth. After her laughs and mocks, we told her we liked Joel Osteen and she shut up. Hey, I used to go to New Manna, Danny was a smart ass and so is hot shot shirley. They make fun of people they don't agree with. They respect noone. Face it, this is not a church, this is a cult. My kids went to that school, they are all grown now and told me they hated it and that it was a hypocritacal bunch of bull shit. I dare you to find a young adult that went to New Manna School that will give you good words on that place. It screwed them all up. What a crock! Hey, I can tell you lots, I am living proof, we went there almost 20 years and thank God I got out of that self rightous mess!
G-Dawg

Denver, NC

#152 May 9, 2009
Joe Golver wrote:
my sister in law goes there and told exactly what it was, laughing and putting the guy down. The mocked him dressing some dude up in a shiney suit in front of a big brass replica of the earth. After her laughs and mocks, we told her we liked Joel Osteen and she shut up. Hey, I used to go to New Manna, Danny was a smart ass and so is hot shot shirley. They make fun of people they don't agree with. They respect noone. Face it, this is not a church, this is a cult. My kids went to that school, they are all grown now and told me they hated it and that it was a hypocritacal bunch of bull shit. I dare you to find a young adult that went to New Manna School that will give you good words on that place. It screwed them all up. What a crock! Hey, I can tell you lots, I am living proof, we went there almost 20 years and thank God I got out of that self rightous mess!
Be careful what you ask for, cause you're getting it. I went to & graduated from New Manna Christian School (Class of 1998) and am thankful I went there. It is a place that is very steeped in the teachings of The Bible while teaching classes in a Christian perspective. Its a whole lot better than what the McDowell public schools will ever offer them. While most Christian Schools today are fronts for sports factories, NMCS has produced many great people who have went on to a great college and are productive members of our society.

As far as the Joel Osteen spoof goes...I wasnt there, but I heard about it. I personally laugh along with them because Joel Osteen is a complete tool and is a mockery of real Bible preaching. What Osteen and the 15,000 people that pack into the Compaq Center aka The Summitt in Houston, TX dont realize is that his sermons about how to live a better life, how to be a better person, positive thinking, etc...is good, but its nothing more than soul-saaving, ear-tickling, belly-rubbing sermons. At least Tony Shirley and Danny Castle still preach about Salvation, Repentance, The Blood, The Cross, Heaven, Hell, The Rapture, etc..However, you cant live a better life without Salvation, Repentance and the other things mentioned. When was the last time Joel Osteen preached on that stuff? You never will hear him preach it.

While you mock New Manna, Pastor Tony Shirley, and Pastor Danny Castle (Shining Light Baptist Church - Morganton), They're out reaching the lost and leading them to the cross. What have you done lately that would bring honour to God?

If you cant say anything nice, then by all means....Keep your trap shut!

“Sharing Common Sense”

Since: Feb 07

Marion, NC

#153 May 9, 2009
G-Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
Be careful what you ask for, cause you're getting it. I went to & graduated from New Manna Christian School (Class of 1998) and am thankful I went there. It is a place that is very steeped in the teachings of The Bible while teaching classes in a Christian perspective. Its a whole lot better than what the McDowell public schools will ever offer them. While most Christian Schools today are fronts for sports factories, NMCS has produced many great people who have went on to a great college and are productive members of our society.
As far as the Joel Osteen spoof goes...I wasnt there, but I heard about it. I personally laugh along with them because Joel Osteen is a complete tool and is a mockery of real Bible preaching. What Osteen and the 15,000 people that pack into the Compaq Center aka The Summitt in Houston, TX dont realize is that his sermons about how to live a better life, how to be a better person, positive thinking, etc...is good, but its nothing more than soul-saaving, ear-tickling, belly-rubbing sermons. At least Tony Shirley and Danny Castle still preach about Salvation, Repentance, The Blood, The Cross, Heaven, Hell, The Rapture, etc..However, you cant live a better life without Salvation, Repentance and the other things mentioned. When was the last time Joel Osteen preached on that stuff? You never will hear him preach it.
While you mock New Manna, Pastor Tony Shirley, and Pastor Danny Castle (Shining Light Baptist Church - Morganton), They're out reaching the lost and leading them to the cross. What have you done lately that would bring honour to God?
If you cant say anything nice, then by all means....Keep your trap shut!
G-Dawg,

I have tried to stay out of saying something directly to you. I believe you are a good guy. But this is too much.

In your last sentence, you said "if you can't say something nice...then keep your mouth shut!" I don't have the time or the desire to go after Castle or Shirley's theology. Have a pretty good idea what they believe, have heard some of their thoughts and consider them spurrious to the Word, but since I don't go there, I'll keep my mouth shut.

But when you make fun of someone else like Osteen, you are on dangerous ground, even if you are a church. I am no Osteen fan myself, and I realize he falls, to my way of thinking, a bit short on preaching about sin and hell. But he does lead folks to Christ.

My friend, how would you like it if a church who doesn't like your pastor's actions (past or present) did a mocking skit about him. You'd call them blasphemous for "mocking" God's servant. Osteen is not perfect, neither is Castle or Shirley, neither are you and I.

Defend your school and your church, but to endorse silly mocking makes those who call New Manna a cult sound credible.
G-Dawg

Denver, NC

#154 May 9, 2009
John Baker wrote:
<quoted text>
But when you make fun of someone else like Osteen, you are on dangerous ground, even if you are a church. I am no Osteen fan myself, and I realize he falls, to my way of thinking, a bit short on preaching about sin and hell. But he does lead folks to Christ.My friend, how would you like it if a church who doesn't like your pastor's actions (past or present) did a mocking skit about him. You'd call them blasphemous for "mocking" God's servant. Osteen is not perfect, neither is Castle or Shirley, neither are you and I. Defend your school and your church, but to endorse silly mocking makes those who call New Manna a cult sound credible.
Baker...when a man gets up before a big crowd and will only tell you one side of the story (how to live the good life, tell you how to be a better person, thinking positively, etc...) WITHOUT telling you the other things about salvation, repentance, sin, etc.. Is devaluing preaching. To me, he's like a glorified used car salesman in that he'll only tell you about good things instead of telling things you dont want to hear. Preaching on sin, death, & hell are things we dont want to hear, but its essential that everyone hears it. He'd make a fine politician, in that he tells you on what you'd like to hear.

But the sad truth about a Joel Osteen is that his style of preaching (he doesnt call himself a preacher, instead a life coach) will lead many a soul to hell. And guess what Baker, the blood of his own church members who are lost, will be on his hands.

In any regard, while others do mock Castle & Shirley for whatever reason, they cant say anything amiss concerning that they preach all of The Bible, unlike Osteen who rarely uses scripture. While Osteen is telling you about how to live a better life, Castle & Shirley are telling you how to obtain eternal life through Jesus Christ.
JustMe

Lincolnton, NC

#155 May 9, 2009
I totally agree with Pastor John. I know of Pastor Shirley and believe him to be a devout Christian pastor. But the skit should never have been allowed in his church. The main reason being, if they really feel Osteen is preaching heresy, they should pray for him and also those he's leading down the path of destruction. Not parodying him as if they were the Letterman show. What does this teach the youth they are trying so desperately to reach? That it's okay to make fun of someone who may believe differently than you? Does this teach compassion and a burden for the lost? I think not. Instead, the message should be that we pray for those who are not teaching sound Biblical doctrine that God would give them direction.

I have been to N.M. Youth Rallies that had very poignant skits with a Christian message. This one did not. And I will also point out that I do NOT support Osteen's ministry in any way. Those of you who think that the possibly unsaved status of some 15,000 souls is a laughing matter in comedy skit are as in need of repentance as those you judge for following Osteen.
ultra world

Greer, SC

#156 May 10, 2009
Hey GDawg, listen dude, u are nothing but a New Manna clone. Hey shot, I went there twenty years. The big front there is "Win the Lost". I got news for you and the fundamental Bible thumpers everywhere. That is not the goal of christianity. It is to "Make Deciples". Here is what has happened at New Manna and other Baptist Fundamental churches. The big thing is evangelisim. That is it. God's plan is this, get saved, become Christ like. The Christ like isn't preached at New Manna or any of those other fundamental churches. People at New Manna win the lost, but on the side live in fornication and adultery. I know, I saw it and I had my chances but I was and have always been faithful to my wife. There was more adultery committed at that church in the twenty years I was there than I could count.It didn't matter as long as you go to church everytime the doors are opened and you play the part, that is all it takes. I had guys jump down my throat for listening to country music, the same guy was sleeping with two women besides his wife, I know, I know him and he did it. I left because of the self righteous attitude of the people and I had my fill of adultery, fornication and baby showers for the knocked up teen age girls. There is no church dicipline that has ever been excercised at that church. As for Joel Osteen, what is wrong with positive preaching? New Manna is too negative, always down, always negative, always doing wrong, there is no hope just darkness. You can have it dude. I am happier since I got away from that funny farm. I guess you will call me a liar when I say if it wasn't for Joel Osteen I wouldn't be here. What is that shot, my imagination? Am I a liar? I am proof. Sign me " Happy to have left New Manna"

“Sharing Common Sense”

Since: Feb 07

Marion, NC

#157 May 10, 2009
G-Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
Baker...when a man gets up before a big crowd and will only tell you one side of the story (how to live the good life, tell you how to be a better person, thinking positively, etc...) WITHOUT telling you the other things about salvation, repentance, sin, etc.. Is devaluing preaching. To me, he's like a glorified used car salesman in that he'll only tell you about good things instead of telling things you dont want to hear. Preaching on sin, death, & hell are things we dont want to hear, but its essential that everyone hears it. He'd make a fine politician, in that he tells you on what you'd like to hear.
But the sad truth about a Joel Osteen is that his style of preaching (he doesnt call himself a preacher, instead a life coach) will lead many a soul to hell. And guess what Baker, the blood of his own church members who are lost, will be on his hands.
In any regard, while others do mock Castle & Shirley for whatever reason, they cant say anything amiss concerning that they preach all of The Bible, unlike Osteen who rarely uses scripture. While Osteen is telling you about how to live a better life, Castle & Shirley are telling you how to obtain eternal life through Jesus Christ.
Baker here!(Haven't been called by my last name since high school! Kind of makes me feel young. Thanks G-Dawg!)

Joel Osteen and any other pastor will have to answer to God if he does not preach the complete Word of God. I'll agree with you there. Liberalism, or taking away or ignoring some biblical truths, is repugnant in God's sight. But equally repugnant to God is legalism, defined as adding extra rules and extra-biblical interpretations to God's Word.

I am thankful that God has called me into a relationship with Him that is refreshing, enjoyable, and totally dependent on His mercy and forgiveness. He saved me from hell and forgave all my sin. I try to live right because I love Him. I fear Him respectfully as I should, but I don't have to be afraid of Him! He is my friend and redeemer. When I do fail, as we all do, He loves me, forgives me, and is not mad at me.

I would like to invite anyone who is tired of getting "beat up" every Sunday and Wednesday to come worship at a church like the one I pastor, or one of many in our area that lead folks to an abundant life in Christ. These churches teach that salvation is not just rescue from hell, but is the open door to a fulfilled life free from the oppression of hypocritical zealots who push selfish, often false agendas.

I must say this. I grew up in a church that kept my stomach in knots, scared of hell and feeling that God was ready to bash my head in around any corner. My folks saw that my faith was out of just fear and not love. They moved our family to a great church that taught God's Word, didn't push foolish ideas like "you must read this version" or "if you don't agree with this pastor God will strike you down!" Within one month, I learned that God not only loved me and saved me, but He was my friend! It wasn't long before I knew I wanted to be a minister and tell others about how great it is to serve and be friends with such a wonderful God.

I'm committed to balance. Not legalistic, not liberal. Just Jesus!
Dee Da Dee

United States

#158 May 11, 2009
G-Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
G-Dawg,

You should be called G-Horse because you are wearing blinders. Blaming one preachers method of bring souls to salvation as wrong and then defending the likes of others that truly drive people away from Christianity via leading by example. Easy to preach hellfire and damnation when you turn around and make a mockery of the Word Of Jesus by repeatedly fornicating with members of one's own congregation. Don't think that this behavior has an adverse effect on those sitting, watching, and listening? Tear your blinders off. How many souls have been turned away by this sad example? How many others followed in the same path and soiled their wedding vows after seeing a great example from the pulpit?(Some even went on to have their own churches where they did the same thing). I guess some preachers can have it both ways. Do as I say not as I do, pass the plate.
Need a Check Up

United States

#159 May 11, 2009
Joe Golver wrote:
my sister in law goes there and told exactly what it was, laughing and putting the guy down. The mocked him dressing some dude up in a shiney suit in front of a big brass replica of the earth. After her laughs and mocks, we told her we liked Joel Osteen and she shut up. Hey, I used to go to New Manna, Danny was a smart ass and so is hot shot shirley. They make fun of people they don't agree with. They respect noone. Face it, this is not a church, this is a cult. My kids went to that school, they are all grown now and told me they hated it and that it was a hypocritacal bunch of bull shit. I dare you to "find a young adult that went to New Manna School that will give you good words on that place. It screwed them all up. What a crock! Hey, I can tell you lots, I am living proof, we went there almost 20 years and thank God I got out of that self rightous mess!
Okay I have several things!
1) I went to the youth rally and if someone telling the truth offends you then maybe you need a check up with the great Physician. Had you let your sister finish explaining the skit maybe you would further understand what the skit meant! Im sorry that you put so much trust in a man & woman such as Joe or Joel or whoever you said, "had it not been for him you would have put a bullet in your head" hmmmm seems like you think man can save. So maybe you do need to check up. The skit simply was meaning that the world can keep all the change and New Manna will stick with the old stuff, & there not the only one who will stick with the old stuff, I as well will stick with the old stuff! & @ the end of the skit on Saturday night the spirit really moved thru the skit! "Shiney" was testifying that we have children who we have to teach and if we dont teach them the world will! Personally if I had children I would want to teach the right way I wouldnt want the world to teach them the way of the world!!
2)I went to New Manna School I do NOT consider myself old I am 23 y.o graduated from New Manna in 2003 (Am I young enough to be considered a young adult or not old enough?!?!?) I dont consider myself backwards or odd or weird! I have a job where I work 40-45 hours a week where I have worked for 4 almost 5 years. I go to church regularly (not @ New Manna but I love going there for Youth Rallys,Revivals and etc...) I have been dating a guy for 4 years....
Im not really sure why you are so bitter but personally I think that God has put us here on earth to fight this battle together! My Church is not in a race with New Manna, Zion Hill, Woodlawn, Or any other church! At my church we just get so excited to hear about souls getting saved! To me thats just some body else that is missing Hell! I think instead of critizing other churches, we should come together! God is doing great things @ Zion Hill maybe instead of critizing churches come to the Youth Revival that has been going on for over 2 weeks now @ Zion Hill Starting back up Wednesday @ 7! Maybe try worshiping instead of hindering! My Thoughts and Prayers are w/ you all!
Need a Check Up

United States

#160 May 11, 2009
And I forgot to add .... Get your feelings off your sleeve put your big boy pants on and dry it up! Quit being such cry babies!
G-Dawg

Denver, NC

#161 May 11, 2009
Dee Da Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
G-Dawg,
You should be called G-Horse because you are wearing blinders. Blaming one preachers method of bring souls to salvation as wrong and then defending the likes of others that truly drive people away from Christianity via leading by example. Easy to preach hellfire and damnation when you turn around and make a mockery of the Word Of Jesus by repeatedly fornicating with members of one's own congregation. Don't think that this behavior has an adverse effect on those sitting, watching, and listening? Tear your blinders off. How many souls have been turned away by this sad example? How many others followed in the same path and soiled their wedding vows after seeing a great example from the pulpit?(Some even went on to have their own churches where they did the same thing). I guess some preachers can have it both ways. Do as I say not as I do, pass the plate.
Whee Diddley Dee Da Dee.... Move on. We all have.

If you can only remember a man for his wrongs instead of all the good things he did, you might want to get the same check-up from The Great Physician. There are things called Repentance, Restoration, Forgiveness...that people receive from God everyday, and you know who can receive it as well. If you think he cant receive those things or only select people can receive those things...you've twisted The Bible into what you only want to believe. Ideologies like this do a great injustice to God's Word.

MOVE ON. He has, I have, everyone else has. Why cant you? MOVE ON.

Joel Osteen and his kind have services with the party-like atmosphere and the ear-tickling, feel-good messages. While people like Tony Shirley, Danny Castle preach the gift of God through Christ, but also preach about the penalties for refusing the free gift. He himself said he's not a preacher, but instead a life coach. If that's the case, he needs to be out of the pulpit.

I hate to break it to you, a church is not a "Club for Saints", it's a Hospital for Sinners.
retard

Lyman, SC

#162 May 11, 2009
G-Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
Joel Osteen and his kind have services with the party-like atmosphere and the ear-tickling, feel-good messages. While people like Tony Shirley, Danny Castle preach the gift of God through Christ, but also preach about the penalties for refusing the free gift. He himself said he's not a preacher, but instead a life coach. If that's the case, he needs to be out of the pulpit.
I hate to break it to you, a church is not a "Club for Saints", it's a Hospital for Sinners.
if he admits that he is not a pastor, rather a life coach...then what is your problem???
retard

Lyman, SC

#163 May 11, 2009
at least he does not claim to be a pastor while doing the above mentioned things...at least he is not screwing his MARRIED congregation members. enough already.
G-Dawg

Denver, NC

#164 May 11, 2009
retard wrote:
at least he does not claim to be a pastor while doing the above mentioned things...at least he is not screwing his MARRIED congregation members. enough already.
But the married congregation members were just as indictable in those encounters as he was. Why dont you attack them? After all, it does take two to tango.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
haunted places in marion (Aug '12) 2 hr Marion 68
Last name Frady 2 hr BigT 10
Diamond theives or kudzu tattoo? (Sep '13) 2 hr kyliemarie9 27
Tice Randolph (Nov '12) 4 hr Destiny 24
DIAMOND dALTON 6 hr Kay 10
Tyler Wilson 13 hr F--kin joke 8
freaky girls in marion 18 hr nobody 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marion Mortgages