First Prev
of 2
Next Last
a good mother

United States

#1 May 30, 2012
Is it effective?
Are there better methods of discipline?
At what age should a child quit being spanked?
mom

Marion, NC

#2 May 30, 2012
I got my fair share when I was a kid and I turned out ok! Never did drugs or drink. Maybe if some of the teen age kids now had got a good spanking then they wouldn't be as bad a person as they are now! I think you should spank your child till they are 18 if they need it! Letting kids do what they want with no price to pay is what's wrong with the world now!

Since: Sep 10

Marion, NC

#3 May 30, 2012
mom wrote:
I got my fair share when I was a kid and I turned out ok! Never did drugs or drink. Maybe if some of the teen age kids now had got a good spanking then they wouldn't be as bad a person as they are now! I think you should spank your child till they are 18 if they need it! Letting kids do what they want with no price to pay is what's wrong with the world now!
Well said mom!
Pleaseure

Marion, NC

#4 May 30, 2012
I think spanking should be carried out until the age of 33.

“The orginal”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#5 May 30, 2012
If you are spanking a 17 year old, you fail as a parent.
kids

Marion, NC

#6 May 30, 2012
lulzers wrote:
If you are spanking a 17 year old, you fail as a parent.
have you seen some of these 17 year olds around here? They need to be spanked! Mom and dad let them do what they want! They drink/smoke/do drugs... They need to be woke up before its to late! Wreck cars and get lucky to walk away from it just because they do whatever they want to! I want better for my kids when they get that old! Do you have kids?
Teenager

United States

#7 May 30, 2012
I am a teenager, and I was raised by my grandparents. I could count the spankings I have had on one hand, but I know that if they speak they mean it! and I would NEVER talk to my grandparents like some of these teens talk to their parents! My grandma would slap my mouth if I yelled or cussed at her! Now I know that teenagers are going to do stuff, and more than likely get caught, but if they had parents standing at the door ready to "spank their tails" they wouldn't do half of the stuff they do! I don't think there is anything wrong with spanking a child, but you can't wait until they are 9 or 10 before you start making them mind! Raise them to mind!!

“The orginal”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#8 May 30, 2012
kids wrote:
<quoted text> have you seen some of these 17 year olds around here? They need to be spanked! Mom and dad let them do what they want! They drink/smoke/do drugs... They need to be woke up before its to late! Wreck cars and get lucky to walk away from it just because they do whatever they want to! I want better for my kids when they get that old! Do you have kids?
You ask a lot of questions and I will do my best to break it down and answer

Have I seen 17 year olds? Yes, work with them daily and lots of them are off the chain. The thing is, at 17, spanking is ineffective. Most teens that age (and younger) would laugh at their parents and the spanking and then go on with life. For most children, spankings are no longer effective after the age of 12.

Please understand, I fully support spanking as one form of punishement and think it is extremely effective, when done for the right reasons and at the right age. If you spank any child under 2, you fail....if you spank them for accidents (bathroom, spilling milk, accidently knocking something over, etc.), you fail. If the only form of dicipline you know how to use is spanking, you fail.

The 17 year olds you speak of need different forms of punishment in order for behaviors to stop. It might be as simple as taking a phone (yeah, parents, you can actually do that) or it might be as severe as stripping their room of everything but a mattress to get a message across....some go as far as removing the door, I like that.

But yeah, if you still resort to spanking when a person is 17, you either a) didn't do a good job as a parent when they were younger or b) you have no ability to create and enforce a more effective punishment....so yes, if you are still spanking your child when they are 17, you failed.

And yes, I do have a child.
Hotgirl1446

Little Rock, AR

#9 May 30, 2012
I'm bad and I've never been spanked,that's cuz my parents died,and I live with my brother,and he doesn't care,u can b my parent on kik if u want,I'm not horny,I don't swap pics,and I only talk clean,unless I'm really pissed off!!

Since: Jan 12

Western Hemisphere

#10 May 30, 2012
Spank them until they're 13 or 14. Then take away privileges. They'll thank you for it later on.
Been Bad

Marion, NC

#11 May 30, 2012
I need a spanking right NOW
a good mother

United States

#12 May 30, 2012
Personally I will not spank my child as a way of disciplining. I feel that there are better methods where I do not have to use physical force. I was never spanked as a child and I was a pretty good child...always did good in school, never drank alcohol, smoked, or partied to much. It's all in the way you do it. I sometimes think parents take spanking too far or use it the wrong way which can cause emotional problems for a child.

Also, most, if not all psychologists, doctors, or experts in child behavior agree that spanking is the least effective way to discipline your child. Most experts do not condone spanking.
Bad Parent

Marion, NC

#13 May 30, 2012
My parents used to beat the shit out of me and I am looking forward to beating the shit out of mine.
blah

Boone, NC

#14 May 30, 2012
A good mother: what other methods would you reccommend? I don't believe in just talking to kids...it goes in one ear and right out the other. i also think that alot of these disorders that kids are diagnosed with are lack of hand to butt ratio. autism? nah don't really believe in it. adhd? nope don't really believ in it either. if parents would stand their ground and mean what they say and say what they mean kids wouldn't be so horrible. My children will get spankings when it is warrented.
a good mother

United States

#15 May 30, 2012
Time-outs when they're younger and taking away privileges when they're a bit older. That's what worked for me when I was growing up. Spanking is just not for me, I can't even imagine taking my hand and physically hitting my child on the bottom as a way to discipline. Also, my parents always talked to me before and after the time outs. Making it simple and to the point should be easy enough for a child to grasp the concept of their punishment. Talking excessively is when it starts to go through one ear and out the other.
yeah

Marion, NC

#16 May 30, 2012
a good mother wrote:
Time-outs when they're younger and taking away privileges when they're a bit older. That's what worked for me when I was growing up. Spanking is just not for me, I can't even imagine taking my hand and physically hitting my child on the bottom as a way to discipline. Also, my parents always talked to me before and after the time outs. Making it simple and to the point should be easy enough for a child to grasp the concept of their punishment. Talking excessively is when it starts to go through one ear and out the other.
^dont listen too this bull crap, if your kid is acting up pop them. just dont take it too far. my child minds me now that ive started poping her.^that garbage is whats wrong with todays youth.
hmm.

Lincolnton, NC

#17 May 30, 2012
Why punish your child with violence? Is that not teaching them that hitting someone when they have done wrong is okay? I personally was not spanked as a child and I turned out pretty well. I always had good grades, never was into hardcore partying, alcohol, or drugs, and went on to college where I did well. I knew my boundaries as the child and I knew what was expected of me by my parents. I was punished if I did wrong but not by "spankings". There were times where I lost cell phone privileges or even didn't get to go places. That didn't make me walk all over my parents or anything like that, I respected them as my parents. I feel like I turned out well with the parenting style that my parents used. I am not saying that it is bad to spank your children, I am just saying that it's evident that children turn out good without that kind of punishment. I also think that different children have different situations. You can't raise all children the same. Each child is an individual and reacts in different ways. You have to know your children and know how to deal with them. I truly believe that raising children to do the right things starts from day one. Children pick up good and bad habits from their parents. Be a good role model and you shouldn't have too much problem.
a good mother

United States

#18 May 30, 2012
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
^dont listen too this bull crap, if your kid is acting up pop them. just dont take it too far. my child minds me now that ive started poping her.^that garbage is whats wrong with todays youth.
I'm not saying that spankings don't work but if there are other ways to punish your child without using force, why not choose that? And don't say that children who are disobedient are that way because they didn't get spanked because that's just not true. Some kids who were spanked turned out to be disobedient and out of control and some turned out fine.
Whatever

Morganton, NC

#19 May 31, 2012
a good mother wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying that spankings don't work but if there are other ways to punish your child without using force, why not choose that? And don't say that children who are disobedient are that way because they didn't get spanked because that's just not true. Some kids who were spanked turned out to be disobedient and out of control and some turned out fine.
Golly you are bored @ work aren't you?
Are you still afraid of snakes?
Vans

United States

#20 May 31, 2012
I think that spanking a child past puberty should be considered a form of sexual assault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cost for marriage at the courthouse (Feb '13) 3 hr Burner99 20
Old Studio release threatens "Selma" profits an... 10 hr Nappy Bummpo 4
Gregg Dehart 10 hr really 8
Another of God's little "creatures" 10 hr Cliven 254
Most despisd President ever>>>> Barry Soetoro 10 hr Nappy Bummpo 10
Reort your neighbors to the Thought Police.! (Dec '13) 14 hr Rabbi Icutcherpec... 6
Tommy sisk 15 hr curious 3
Marion Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Marion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:31 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:31PM
Report: Sal Sunseri to leave Florida State for position with Oakland Raiders