What have you always wanted to ask a ...
sportsfan71

United States

#147 Aug 5, 2012
OFpreacher wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said
Thanks, thought someone needed to say it. I sense though we do not agree on all issues and interpretation of scripture, this would be common ground for us. After all it is what it's all about, Jesus coming to set the captives free. Wish you all the best in your ministry. I know several of your members and they are wonderful people, your church is only about 3 miles from my home, who knows, I may bring my family to visit sometime, but we won't stay, wouldn't want to ruin the good thing you've got going on there. LOL :)
Anonymous

Burnsville, NC

#148 Aug 5, 2012
sportsfan71 wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, thought someone needed to say it. I sense though we do not agree on all issues and interpretation of scripture, this would be common ground for us. After all it is what it's all about, Jesus coming to set the captives free. Wish you all the best in your ministry. I know several of your members and they are wonderful people, your church is only about 3 miles from my home, who knows, I may bring my family to visit sometime, but we won't stay, wouldn't want to ruin the good thing you've got going on there. LOL :)
You would be very welcome. And don't worry we are far from perfect. I think I messed that up when I moved here.
Anonymous

Burnsville, NC

#149 Aug 6, 2012
We are having VBS this weekend starting at 2pm on Friday. There will be inflatables for the kids, a dunking booth where you can baptize OFpreacher, cotton candy, popcorn, and a hot dog supper. And the best part is its all free. Come join us at Old Fort Wesleyan Church, across from the Hardee's.
Anonymous

Burnsville, NC

#150 Aug 7, 2012
It seems this thread is fizzling out. Before it does I want to say thank you to all who were polite and fair. This has been a vigorous debate. I believe this is what is needed to mend fences between the church and skeptics. My goal in starting this thread was to show that there are believers in this world that are different than the stereotypical images burned in most peoples minds. I hope I've represented my savior well.
over educated

Asheville, NC

#151 Oct 7, 2012
Has there been any trepidation amongst mainline Christians and religious leaders about the fact that our next president could be a member of one of the 1600 Christian faiths considered “Marginal Christian” groups?
unnamed pastor

Asheville, NC

#152 Oct 7, 2012
over educated wrote:
Has there been any trepidation amongst mainline Christians and religious leaders about the fact that our next president could be a member of one of the 1600 Christian faiths considered “Marginal Christian” groups?
In what I've read - Romney's very different beliefs have not been made an issue by mainline protestants and Catholics. What I have read is that mainline Christians are voting for Romney solely for the pro-life- anti-gay stance.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#153 Oct 7, 2012
over educated wrote:
There have certainly been some discussion in the circles I am in. I believe a lot of the Christian Right listen to what Christian commentators are saying without doing their own home work. I do believe that Romney will get the Christian vote because of his moral stance on some issues. I also believe many will vote for Romney not because they approve of him so much , but because the strongly disapprove of Obama. This is just my opinion based on what I hear from other Christians and Christian leaders.
over educated

Asheville, NC

#154 Oct 9, 2012
question for any religious leader out there:

Does it concern the mainline clergy (which includes Catholics) that the LDS Church has shown exponential growth since it’s conception in 1830 - growing from 6 people to 6 million people today?

In other words - have mainline Christian leaders expressed any concern that a Mormon being elected president could further erode membership in mainline Christian churches? You have to admit, the LDS Church looks pretty attractive. Mainline Christianity has had a net drop in growth over the past decade whereas the Mormon Church has had an 18% growth - in just a decade.

I would imagine mainline denominations would be very concerned, especially knowing the extremely different belief system of the LDS church from regular Bible believing Christians.

I can actually see one day that Mormonism will become the national religion - as is their goal. Does anyone also see that?
No Thanks

Burnsville, NC

#155 Oct 9, 2012
The Mormon faith was burned out and run out of Missouri because of their tendency to function as a voting bloc and their ability to gain political influence beyond their numbers. In order to combat this perceived threat, Governor Lilburn Boggs issued the Extermination Order in order to exterminate or drive out the Mormons from Missouri.

They also believe in justified vengeance and retribution for the blood of a slain righteous person. In other words, it is in their doctrine to avenge the deaths of their fallen members.

In the Book of Mormon, the "blood of a righteous man" (Gideon) was said to "come upon" the theocratic leader Alma "for vengeance" against the murderer (Nehor)(Alma 1:13). Mormon scripture also refers to the "cry" of the blood of the saints ascending from the ground up to the ears of God as a testimony against those who killed them (2 Ne. 26: 3; D&C 88:6).

Location hidden

#156 Oct 9, 2012
over educated wrote:
Does it concern the mainline clergy (which includes Catholics) that the LDS Church has shown exponential growth since it’s conception in 1830 - growing from 6 people to 6 million people today?
In other words - have mainline Christian leaders expressed any concern that a Mormon being elected president could further erode membership in mainline Christian churches? You have to admit, the LDS Church looks pretty attractive. Mainline Christianity has had a net drop in growth over the past decade whereas the Mormon Church has had an 18% growth - in just a decade.
I would imagine mainline denominations would be very concerned, especially knowing the extremely different belief system of the LDS church from regular Bible believing Christians.
I can actually see one day that Mormonism will become the national religion - as is their goal. Does anyone also see that?
There are a lot of conspiracy theories out there, but I personally do not believe Romney's run for POTUS is an attempt of Mormons trying to take over the world. However I do believe it does give some legitimacy to Mormonism in the minds of Americans.
No No

Burnsville, NC

#157 Oct 9, 2012
OlFortpreacher wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a lot of conspiracy theories out there, but I personally do not believe Romney's run for POTUS is an attempt of Mormons trying to take over the world. However I do believe it does give some legitimacy to Mormonism in the minds of Americans.
I disagree with your last sentence.

While his run for the presidency provides more exposure and brand familiarity with Mormonism, it does not provide legitimacy.
Curious

Burnsville, NC

#158 Oct 9, 2012
over educated wrote:
Why do you say "you have to admit the LDS Church looks pretty attractive? I'd sincerely like to hear your thoughts.
over educated

Asheville, NC

#159 Oct 9, 2012
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say "you have to admit the LDS Church looks pretty attractive? I'd sincerely like to hear your thoughts.
It's certainly not attractive to me. I am completely and wonderfully free of theistic beliefs and any beliefs in the supernatural. As a scientist, I am completely and solidly based in reality. I'm just suggesting that many of those disillusioned with the traditional beliefs might find the LDS church calling them for these reasons among others:

1. They just seem to have it more together than protestant churches.
2. They’re efficient, superb corporation organization, and are up to date with their excellent use of social media – they just seem cooler.
3. All Mormons will one day be exactly like God, but have dominion over their own world. How cool is that?
4. They seem simple and unified –since their statement of faith is exactly the same for all churches – so there is no sibling rivalry, fighting and competition like with the protestants.
5. They have a works based, no risk-high reward faith system. They do more for the community and world.
6. The idea of an all-loving God, divine individual worth, eternal families, eternal progression, and personal revelation offers much more than mainline protestant churches.
7. There are no ministers in the LDS – it’s run by volunteers which keeps the costs down. There is NO paid staff and every family has personal ownership in the church. THEY ARE DAMN RICH! They are so rich the church is self insured and they pay for all their buildings up front!!!!
8. The Pray, Pay and Obey philosophy makes life more certain, simplified, and in control – no thinking involved.
9. I must emphasize - NO THINKING INVOLVED.
10. Can't think of a number 10..... WAIT - If Mitt wins the election- Mormons will be THE RELIGION TO BELONG TO.

over educated

Asheville, NC

#160 Oct 9, 2012
AND let me add to that probably the most important reason why Mormonism could be perceived as attractive:

In spite of all the wackiness, Mormons are politically and socially conservative- just like the mainline Christians. It could be an easy lateral move for some.
Curious

Burnsville, NC

#161 Oct 9, 2012
over educated wrote:
AND let me add to that probably the most important reason why Mormonism could be perceived as attractive:
In spite of all the wackiness, Mormons are politically and socially conservative- just like the mainline Christians. It could be an easy lateral move for some.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. You have some interesting (and logical) talking points and you may indeed be correct. However, as you stated, you are a person who is free from theistic beliefs. You may be overestimating the ability of those with deep-seated Christian indoctrination to walk away from their beliefs in favor of a religion that goes beyond the realm of Christianity. Then again, many people who are searching for the meaning of life may in fact find fulfillment with the Latter Day Saints.

Works-based religion goes against the grain of traditional faith-based religion but I can see the possible attraction for those who lack faith or for those who would find comfort in believing they can earn their way into heaven? It would remove an element of fear for those who are never quite sure where they stand with God. The only problem I see with it is it cancels out virtually all of the New Testament post-Jesus and negates His sacrifice. Again, you are evolved from theistic beliefs, but to those who aren't, the Mormon religion seems to be a giant leap from Christianity and the belief that faith assures salvation. I'm not sure if conservative values are enough to win over their hearts and minds - or not. Islam has conservative values as well?

It honestly never occurred to me that there might be an element who would want to become involved with a religion merely because an elected leader is a member of a particular denomination, but I must admit you make a valid point.

Anyway, thanks for sharing! Good points.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#164 Oct 10, 2012
The answer is 42 wrote:
If you're married is it biblically OK to sodomize your wife if it's consensual?
Reported

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#165 Oct 10, 2012
The answer is 42 wrote:
If you're married is it biblically OK for your wife to lick your man hole? My wife always wants to nibble on my back door but I don't know if it is OK or not.
Reported
angel

United States

#166 Oct 10, 2012
late edition wrote:
<quoted text>
Reported
Thank you! Some people are disgusting and disrespectful, with no common sense

Location hidden

#167 Oct 10, 2012
No No wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with your last sentence.
While his run for the presidency provides more exposure and brand familiarity with Mormonism, it does not provide legitimacy.
I agree. I just think it adds to the perceived legitimacy.

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#168 Oct 11, 2012
OlFortpreacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I just think it adds to the perceived legitimacy.
ISN'T MORMONISM EVERY BIT AS LEGITIMATE AS ANY OTHER RELIGION?
WHY IS YOUR BRAND LEGITIMATE AND ALL THE OTHERS ARE NOT?

When one religious group CLAIMS others are not legitimate, that is a huge disservice to us all. This kind of talk turns up the heat in the repulsive culture war battles over religion. This kind of talk can ultimately lead to people burning down black churches, beating up Muslims, painting swastikas on Synagogues, gunning down Sikhs and ignorant hate talk like we see all the time here on topix.

No one expect religious leaders to lead the way to spread religious literacy. I do know some churches have had programs on the worlds religions to increase tolerance and understanding and an appreciation of the shared moral values - but this is relatively few and far between.

It is frightening to see people on topix posting religious hatred from their anonymous position behind a computer screen. Do they get this hatred via their pastors who preach that theirs is the only legitimate religion? Do you think if people could be educated about world religions there would be less religious illiteracy, less rage filled hate crimes targeting people for their religion?

PLEASE PLEASE stop saying your brand of religion is legitimate and others are not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is it legal to dumpster dive? 4 hr Didacus 3
Reco Tate 5 hr Sally 4
Elizabeth Brittain Beaty 6 hr Peter 1
Kratom (Oct '15) 7 hr KratomWorks 10
The Hag Hillary is dying!,Praise God! (Sep '16) 8 hr BobInTennessee 3
UA Nails (Mar '14) 8 hr User name 44
Trump Voters Screwed Themselves & The Rest of Us (Mar '17) 11 hr Alex 587

Marion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance