Would a private owned coffee shop survive in downtown Marion?

Posted in the Marion Forum

Mike

Marion, IL

#1 Aug 30, 2012
Hypothetically, a place where people can do lunch on or around the square with soups, salads, and deli sandwiches are made. Could this place make it on or around the square?
marion sucks

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Aug 30, 2012
no we will not support it
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Carterville, IL

#3 Aug 30, 2012
Possibly. Parking is a problem, and there is very little pedestrian traffic. Latta Java is just down the street, and they seem to be surviving. A REAL DELI ( non subway, non McAlister) might do well.
slinky1

Seymour, MO

#4 Aug 30, 2012
no, you will not be able to get an occupancy permit or find a suitable building --- the fire department and building inspector will never allow you any permit --- you will be taking money out of the good old boy network === old bennies john hill does not allow competition
Curious

Marion, IL

#5 Aug 30, 2012
I would eat there-would it be cheap
redneck

Enfield, IL

#6 Aug 31, 2012
there is one in downtown Marion, north of the square
redneck

Enfield, IL

#7 Aug 31, 2012
Latta Java 412 N. Market, Google it.
the intersection

Enfield, IL

#8 Aug 31, 2012
of Illinois 13 and I 57 sounds like a better choice to me.
ahem

Enfield, IL

#9 Aug 31, 2012
Dept of Redundancy Dept wrote:
Possibly. Parking is a problem, and there is very little pedestrian traffic. Latta Java is just down the street, and they seem to be surviving. A REAL DELI ( non subway, non McAlister) might do well.
Small's Meat Market east of the square several blocks.

Guess I'm the only one on here who lives in Marion, LOL
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Carterville, IL

#10 Aug 31, 2012
ahem wrote:
<quoted text>
Small's Meat Market east of the square several blocks.
Guess I'm the only one on here who lives in Marion, LOL
Smalls is a MEAT MARKET, not a deli. Guess you've never been to Chicago or NYc...
ahem

Enfield, IL

#11 Aug 31, 2012
No, and they have sliced meat. Try the sliced ham it is great. If that isn't real deli sliced ham then I need to visit Chicago!(And NYC)
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Carterville, IL

#12 Aug 31, 2012
Sliced cold cuts do not a deli make....except maybe in Marion IL. BTW watch the meat counter employees' hygiene....
jay

Marion, IL

#13 Aug 31, 2012
Coffee shops are kinda leftovers from the 90's. Everyone saw "Reality Bites" and suddenly a coffee shop popped up on every corner. Most of them have closed, but the market is still over-saturated. You have Latta Java, Starbucks, and Coffee Break in Marion, and McDonalds' gourmet coffee is cheap and good. It might not have the Atmosphere, but you'll find that people who are going to a coffee shop for the atmosphere are people who will sit there all day long without buying coffee. Small, independent little coffee shops are plagued by these kinds of people. They have no money and all the time in the world, and they put a stigma on the place. They will eventually be your only clientele.

I like the deli idea, but with McAlisters and Quiznos in town, you will need to distinguish yourself from these big chain stores. Emulate places like New York's Carnegie deli, with their in-house-made lunch meats piled 10 inches high on in-house-baked bread. There is nothing like that in Southern Illinois. Plain old deli sandwich shops are a dime a dozen. Make it an event to eat there, and people will come from all over. Just remember that there is nowhere to park on the square. John Brown packs them in, but that's at night when the parking lots are empty. During the day, you are going to want accessible parking near your restaurant, or people will pass on by.
Dept of Redundancy Dept

Carterville, IL

#14 Aug 31, 2012
jay wrote:
Coffee shops are kinda leftovers from the 90's. Everyone saw "Reality Bites" and suddenly a coffee shop popped up on every corner. Most of them have closed, but the market is still over-saturated. You have Latta Java, Starbucks, and Coffee Break in Marion, and McDonalds' gourmet coffee is cheap and good. It might not have the Atmosphere, but you'll find that people who are going to a coffee shop for the atmosphere are people who will sit there all day long without buying coffee. Small, independent little coffee shops are plagued by these kinds of people. They have no money and all the time in the world, and they put a stigma on the place. They will eventually be your only clientele.
I like the deli idea, but with McAlisters and Quiznos in town, you will need to distinguish yourself from these big chain stores. Emulate places like New York's Carnegie deli, with their in-house-made lunch meats piled 10 inches high on in-house-baked bread. There is nothing like that in Southern Illinois. Plain old deli sandwich shops are a dime a dozen. Make it an event to eat there, and people will come from all over. Just remember that there is nowhere to park on the square. John Brown packs them in, but that's at night when the parking lots are empty. During the day, you are going to want accessible parking near your restaurant, or people will pass on by.
Ditto, Mack
Mike

Herrin, IL

#15 Sep 2, 2012
Thanks for the input everyone. This is the sort of thing I was afraid of. Gonna have to sit for awhile and strategize how I would do his like planning how to set it apart and gve people a reason to want to walk a block. So ready to set out on my own and stop working for the guv.
Curious

Marion, IL

#16 Sep 4, 2012
Maybe by Ray Fosse, you would get alot of business in the summer with the ball games

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homewrecker's of Southern Illinois 1 hr Bust Em 1
Garlands/Harrison's 1 hr Please 39
Marion football 1 hr doubtful 9
cute Aisin guy 3 hr JJJ 10
Careful with reducing the prison population 4 hr fart 4
Hawkins fired 11 hr intheknow 9
Marion KFC is Ghetto 14 hr Get Some 3
Don't Vote for Ann Colborn !!! 15 hr Alfred_E _Neuman 59
Marion Dating
Find my Match