Marion Seat-belt Law Scam Exposed

Posted in the Marion Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tire of beng harassed

Little Rock, AR

#1 Jan 5, 2013
I was given a ticket by a Marion police officer for wearing my seat-belt improperly ( I had my arm over the strap). They put an officer patrolling the main-street area of Marion ( which is a 25 mph zone mind you) just to look for people not wearing their seat-belts or wearing them "improperly" in my case. After receiving the ticket I went straight to the police department and complained to the chief about it. While getting the usual "politicians runaround" type answer at first as to why they were harassing the citizens like this, due to my persistence and passionate beliefs on the matter he then admitted the truth. He said and I quote "They (State of Arkansas) give us a grant if we will make wearing seat-belts a primary offense instead of a secondary offense, so we have to write X amount of tickets in order to keep getting it." Then he goes on to say "Hell, I don't know where you work but it would probably be cheaper for you to just pay the twenty-five dollar fine then it would to go to court and have to miss work. It doesn't go on your record anyway." That is proof that it is more monetarily beneficial for them to run their scam and harass the common working class people who are really doing nothing wrong than it is to go out and prevent actual crime. This is NOT how I want my tax dollars being spent.

Marion, AR

#2 Jan 6, 2013
This comes as a major revelation to you?

They run it in the paper every six months that they get a grant for seat belt enforcement.
Tire of beng harassed

Little Rock, AR

#3 Jan 6, 2013
Yes,I don't get the Evening Times anymore.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#4 Jan 6, 2013
The only way to stop them is to bring it to light. Call action news 5. Topix won't stop anything, but if you get the press involved they will likely think about their actions.

Marion, AR

#5 Jan 6, 2013
You really think that Andy Wise will do shit about him driving in violation of STATE LAW???? Pay the ticket and wear your seat belt, End of outrage.

Location hidden

#6 Jan 6, 2013
He had his seat belt on and yea they have done many stories on cops that need to find a better way to police. Didn't you see the story on any of the speed traps? On the police writing tickets to meet quotas? Outrage yourself

Marion, AR

#7 Jan 6, 2013
So, Take the day off work, go to court and tell the judge you were just wearing the seat belt improperly, good luck.

I really dont see it as a "Scam" on Working class people, I see it as 38K people killed in 2010 in motor vehicle accidents, 1 in 7 drivers nationwide are uninsured (And it's higher in the Mid South) 10 billion dollars in loses by uninsured drivers in medical treatment and property damage.

So, if stopping someone without a seat belt nets a uninsured motorist, then all the better.

Simple solution, Wear the seatbelt, it's the law...

Location hidden

#8 Jan 6, 2013
That's why America is going down the tubes. People like you think the cops and government are always right. We should question nothing, and just politely hand over whatever money or rights they want us to. We as American citizens have the right to many things that the government would like us to forget. I bet you are ready to hand over your guns too. Guns must kill people not idiots that don't know how to behave. Just like seat belt crimes need to have their own officers. Nevermind the fact that meth heads are running rampant all over this county, and they can't stop that from happening. But by all means stop every citizen who has their shoulder out of their seat belt. It seems like their are worse crimes being committed that need an officers attention than seatbelts!

Marion, AR

#9 Jan 6, 2013
LOL The cop was right, He admitted he wasnt wearing his seat belt, He got stopped and written a ticket because HE WASNT WEARING HIS SEATBELT.

Your grand statements dont show anything but that you are a small minded moron.

You get that worked up over a guy who admits he broke the law, sounds like you need to have your guns taken away due to mental illness.

I'm done.. feel free to rant away

Marion, AR

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Oh, and not that it matters to your over-reaction, but a decade ago, I lost a good friend when she wasnt wearing a seat belt and went off the road. So maybe I think that extra 3 seconds it takes to put on one is more important than being stupid. I've seen first hand what a senseless death does to a family and friends, when if she had just clicked the dumb belt, she'd still be here..

NOW I'm done
So true

Jacksonville, AR

#11 Jan 6, 2013
You missed the point they were trying to make. But ppl like you always do. Yes they should wear a seatbelt, but we should not have special cops just to watch that. If someone isn't smart enough to click their belt on themselves it's their own life they are risking. With all the crimes going on we don't need a seat belt monitor in town. Go arrest a drug addict or thief.

RANT RANT RANT

Ignorance truly must be bliss for you my dear.
right

Jacksonville, AR

#12 Jan 6, 2013
lmao at guest.....you are dumb

Marion, AR

#13 Jan 6, 2013
No, I didnt miss the point. And the "special cop" that you referred to is one that isnt on duty, it's over-time that he comes in that puts extra police on the streets so that the ones working CAN chase the meth-heads you are worried about, So I guess to ME, extra police officers working our streets is a GOOD thing, but apparently to you, it's not.

Marion, AR

#14 Jan 6, 2013
And if Ignorance is bliss then you must be the Happiest ahole in this whole town
Tire of beng harassed

Little Rock, AR

#15 Jan 7, 2013
Guest I was wearng my seatbelt but I put my arm over the to strap because I like to drive with my left hand an it rubs my neck. The officer saw that hd it on too but wrote the ticket anyway. The reason I I A SCAM is because its a 25mph seed zone and goig that sloew there isn't anyones life in danget at allor not weaing one. It's no about saving lives ad keeping people safe it's about supplimenting the city of Marions income b harassing the common working man who isnt bothering or hurting anyone. That is not he type of police work I want my tax dollars being spent on. They should be out in hrvard yard o somewhere like that were I'm sure someone is ither being stabed r there is a drug deal going down right this second. I a 40 years I goto work everyday, pend as uch time with my kids as can, I love my wife, I greet peopl with a smileand say hello to strangers, I kep my yad nice ad clean and I mind my own business. My point is if decide not to wear my seatbelt hen I anot going to hrt anyone bt myslelf and I dont need the Mickey Mouse ciy of Marion to tel me otherwise. In fact the only person wh I did seedo something wrong that dy was that knucklehead cop who pased by me and did an illegal Uturn suealing his tires tryig to see if he cold get the car up on two weels like something off of the A team, now that was putting pople in danger.
Patriot I dideail Andy Wise, Channels 3 5 13 24, the Evening Times, Comercial Appeal, 60 minutes, my state Senator and state Rep. I am also going t the next city coucil meeting and complain about it. I'm going to court to fight th ticket and see if I really did vote for the right guy for judge or if he is going to be part of this Marion "Good Ole Boy" network too. God bless and I wish everyone a safe and happy new year
Tire of beng harassed

Little Rock, AR

#16 Jan 7, 2013
Guest is the Knucklhead Cop
Big nutz

West Memphis, AR

#17 Jan 8, 2013
Wear your seat belts and get over it!! Or pay the ticket unless you are to poor to pay $25. It's a law. It's the cops job. If you don't want a ticket be responsible and obey the law. Good job officer.
qwe

Memphis, TN

#18 Jan 9, 2013
Change the unconstitutional law. My wearing a seat belt in no way accepts you. I should have a right not to wear it. It makes driving much more dangerous to wear the seat belt.

My safety is more important than an unconstitutional law.
Courious

Duluth, GA

#19 Jan 9, 2013
It is BS when 1/2 or more of cops don't wear seat belts! And for a state to impose a seatbelt law where it reverse a mandatory helmet for motorcycles.
Common Sense

Lepanto, AR

#20 Jan 18, 2013
It's not the law that needs to change, it's insurance policies. Your insurance should be doubled if you choose not to wear your seat belt. If you have an accident and are injured because you were not wearing your seat belt, then your insurance should not be responsible for your medical bills. Cause that makes eveyones elses insurance go up and we should not have to pay for your neglegence of common sense.

You still gonna have to pay the $25 bucks too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is Natasha Ecker? (Jan '10) 1 hr Little Rock 41
Former Arkansas Legislator Hudson Hallum Senten... (Jul '13) 1 hr FF man 50
Hino is hiring (Jul '13) 1 hr Guest 16
Hallum Motors (May '13) Wed Call 6
Curtis Lumber plans to hire 12-15 at new, $5M s... Wed the south sucks 1
Kelly O'Neal for Mayor Wed Dave 27
Auto Detail in Marion Tue Big Will 4
Marion Dating
Find my Match

Marion People Search