DUI checkpoints: Where they will be

Full story: Daily Breeze

Gardena. Police officers will conduct a driving under the influence and driver's license checkpoint from 7 tonight to 4 a.m. Saturday in the eastbound lanes of the 1300 block of Rosecrans Avenue.
Comments
21 - 37 of 37 Comments Last updated Nov 18, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
driving instructor

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Judged:

Driving is a privilege not a right.

Since: Nov 08

Canyon Country, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Judged:

stop-posting-checkpoints wrote:
DUI is a very dangerous and serious crime. I have known too many people killed by drunk drivers and i don't understand why the checkpoints are publicized... you drink you drive you should be ready to pay the price...
How do you know so many people killed by drunk drivers? Do you have a lot of friends who like to play in the street at 2:00am? More people are killed every year by speeders than drunk drivers. In fact, if you look at the proportion of traffic fatalities nation-wide in relation to the number of licensed drivers, you will find that the proportion is extremely small. However, just to make sure we are all guaranteed complete safety at whatever expense to liberty, maybe we should make speeding a felony. I think illegal lane changing, speeding, talking on your cell phone, putting on makeup, and changing the station on your car stereo should also be felony offenses. Hell, one can never be too safe. I also think we should require drivers to wrap their children in bubble wrap before placing them in their child safety seat. Giving up liberty doesn't make you safer, it simply expands the power of the police state...dummies!
Be Happy

Bell, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Flaco wrote:
I wished they publish how much these checkpoints costs us in taxpayers dollars instead. I bet the cost/benefit ratio is not too good.
Why not just patrol the streets and get the dui drivers as they drive??...instead playing this game where they can just go around these stupid checkpoints.
Good for the po-po though, since it's nothing but easy money for them.
These checkpoints are paid through federal or state grants and are not part of a city or police departments regular budget.

“a good community is OUR job”

Since: Mar 09

Pasadena

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Flaco wrote:
I wished they publish how much these checkpoints costs us in taxpayers dollars instead. I bet the cost/benefit ratio is not too good.
Why not just patrol the streets and get the dui drivers as they drive??...instead playing this game where they can just go around these stupid checkpoints.
Good for the po-po though, since it's nothing but easy money for them.
There are some intangible benefits, which another poster mentioned. The fact the checkpoints are published has at least two benefits:
a) raises general awareness
b) may make some drinkers think about setting up a dedicated driver if they know they'll be partying and they know there will be a checkpoint.
Hmmmm

Oxnard, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Considering the cost of a speeding ticket these days, I think it is already a felony. Actually, a felony is almost less invasive. With a felony, 36 months probation then you're done in some cases. With speeding tickets you get points on your license that stays there for years, your insurance goes up for years, and you have to pay a HUGE fine. Let us all just walk.
Bruce

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Judged:

As bad as drunk driving is, speeding is worse. There is a high number of incidences of people speeding in residential areas and by schools. The speed limit in these areas is 25 MPH. I hope someone pulls these speeding jackasses out of their cars and beats them bloody.

Since: Apr 09

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Judged:

Or, instead of publishing checkpoints, they could just wait outside of bars like El Segundo PD and pull you over with the odds in their favor that you'll fail a breathalyzer.
moni

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

thanks, I will bypass all the above
Mikey

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Benny the Broom wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =WuQgZ8ZODwQ
video of hit and run driver Amber Mather getting tipsy.
Set up a checkpoint at Sharkees!
lol...Amber is such a dirty ho. I say that will all due respect. In my opinion, you will never find such a loose girl willing to put out so easily. It only costs you a couple drinks and having to listen to her annoying voice.
Flaco

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

...which reminds me. Why the f*** do the Torrance PD always shine the light on people when they drive at night. Some of us are going to/from work trying to make an honest living and they do racial profiling. It's irritating.

I use to be a chauffer p/t in the evenings and there isn't one other police department out there whose officers go around shining their bright a** spotlight like they're some redneck police in Mississippi during the '60's.
Open Your Eyes

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2009

Judged:

Pastor Paul wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know so many people killed by drunk drivers? Do you have a lot of friends who like to play in the street at 2:00am? More people are killed every year by speeders than drunk drivers. In fact, if you look at the proportion of traffic fatalities nation-wide in relation to the number of licensed drivers, you will find that the proportion is extremely small. However, just to make sure we are all guaranteed complete safety at whatever expense to liberty, maybe we should make speeding a felony. I think illegal lane changing, speeding, talking on your cell phone, putting on makeup, and changing the station on your car stereo should also be felony offenses. Hell, one can never be too safe. I also think we should require drivers to wrap their children in bubble wrap before placing them in their child safety seat. Giving up liberty doesn't make you safer, it simply expands the power of the police state...dummies!
i agree with your views.
Will people open their eyes once we become a Police State Country??
Patriot Act??2nd amendment abolished???how will we fight this corrupt government??
joe momma in turlock

Turlock, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2009

.......good job for all Chief E. Medrano and his officers do.....we appreciate what you do....
.....be safe...

...and remember yo momma loves you..!
Yank Off

Desert Hot Springs, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2009

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...Amber is such a dirty ****. I say that will all due respect. In my opinion, you will never find such a loose girl willing to put out so easily. It only costs you a couple drinks and having to listen to her annoying voice.
What's her #. I just got a 12 pack..Lol
Denise

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2009

Judged:

Miguel in Lomita wrote:
Why does this stuff get published???? So the drunk Daily Breeze reporters and other drunks can avoid the check points?
Why have a DUI check point and advertise it in the news paper? Or is the circulation so low nobody reads it anyway?
This is really stupid.
You are missing the point. The fact these check points are done at all is stupid and wrong. They are published because they are required to be. This way the government can pretend they are not trampling all over our Constitution and taking away our rights.
Pinchy

Granada Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2009

I'll drink to that!
captpatrick

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2009

Miguel in Lomita wrote:
Why does this stuff get published???? So the drunk Daily Breeze reporters and other drunks can avoid the check points?
Why have a DUI check point and advertise it in the news paper? Or is the circulation so low nobody reads it anyway?
This is really stupid.
This checkpoint is posted to warn the citizens of unconstitutional behavior from the local government. Fishing expeditions violate the 4th amendment unreasonable search and seizure without reasonable suspecision Miguel you hate liberty you are a communist!
captpatrick

Herkimer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2009

there is no probable cause for this lawless search and seizure.Miguel go live in Cuba!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Marina del Rey News Video

•••
•••

Marina del Rey Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Marina del Rey People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE