Letters: Hysteria and education

Letters: Hysteria and education

There are 15 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Jan 4, 2011, titled Letters: Hysteria and education. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

I despair for my country. What can we do about ignorance and hysteria? Yet another letter comparing our president to Hitler.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

YGBSM

Salinas, CA

#1 Jan 4, 2011
Tracy Valleau, Bill Graham, and, of course, Lisa Bryan need clues.

John Palshaw is right. Laird is back on the government gravy train.
theobromine

United States

#2 Jan 4, 2011
YGBSM wrote:
Tracy Valleau, Bill Graham, and, of course, Lisa Bryan need clues.
John Palshaw is right. Laird is back on the government gravy train.
Which clues, specifically, do they need?
peterpun

Pacific Grove, CA

#3 Jan 4, 2011
Gotta wonder how YGBSM knows these folks need a clue. YGBSM certainly hasn't one of his/her own, and wouldn't know what one looked like if it bit him/her on the leg.
But I'm pretty sure YGBSM is right up there with all the other retro G.nO.P. wanting to turn back the clock on all things modern. We'll go back to the days of buggy-whips and telegraph, traveling medicine sellers and home brewed cure-alls. We don't need doctors or lawyers. We have bankers and builders. So dreadfully afraid of anything new or intelligent.
JohnF

Seaside, CA

#4 Jan 4, 2011
"The result is massive unemployment, masses easily swayed by appeals to fear and demagoguery, and foolish, self-interested representation. "

And that is because of conservatives? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the liberals have been the majority in Congress for the last 4 years, and have controlled the Executive branch the last 2.

"My wish for the new year is that editorial and letter writers stick to important issues and refrain from personal attacks"

I guess that doesn't apply to liberals, judging by these letters and posts.
PGjack

Pebble Beach, CA

#5 Jan 4, 2011
An excellent letter from Tracy Valleau. Thank you.

Denial of scientific evidence to the magnitude of the 6000 year old Earth belief is inexcusable. Insisting that private industry is pure as the driven snow and government is evil - or the reverse is foolish.

Believing that we can have a society with 300 million people living in relative peace without a large government is silly.

Believing we can solve everyones problems, treat all illnesses and keep everyone alive forever with that government is also foolish.
Tony

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 Jan 4, 2011
JohnF wrote:
"The result is massive unemployment, masses easily swayed by appeals to fear and demagoguery, and foolish, self-interested representation. "
And that is because of conservatives? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the liberals have been the majority in Congress for the last 4 years, and have controlled the Executive branch the last 2.
"My wish for the new year is that editorial and letter writers stick to important issues and refrain from personal attacks"
I guess that doesn't apply to liberals, judging by these letters and posts.
This area of California (SF south to Big Sur) has a lot of people that profited off the policies of destruction that are killing anyone under 30 trying to survive in the horrible business/housing climate they created. They have enough money to last until they die and they refuse to recognize the only legacy they are leaving behind is $1500 Studio Apartments,$6 a gallon gasoline and empty store-fronts.

So they will continue to blame the Republicans, most of whom have left the State. They will point out ones who claim to be Republicans like Able Maldonado are around but these Republicans are really Democrats or at least they vote like Democrats all the time. They will still be blaming Republicans when they are jammed in the corner against the wall by the illegal alien hired to watch them in the old folks home.
John Galt Lives

Bellingham, WA

#7 Jan 4, 2011
Tracy Valleau obviously prefers the government death panels.
John Galt Lives

Bellingham, WA

#8 Jan 4, 2011
PGjack wrote:
An excellent letter from Tracy Valleau. Thank you.
Denial of scientific evidence to the magnitude of the 6000 year old Earth belief is inexcusable. Insisting that private industry is pure as the driven snow and government is evil - or the reverse is foolish.
Believing that we can have a society with 300 million people living in relative peace without a large government is silly.
Believing we can solve everyones problems, treat all illnesses and keep everyone alive forever with that government is also foolish.
Have you ever read the Ten Commandments?
WTFWJD

Marina, CA

#9 Jan 4, 2011
John Galt Lives wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever read the Ten Commandments?
We prefer to think of them as the "Ten Suggestions".

Since: Mar 09

Monterey Peninsula, CA

#10 Jan 4, 2011
Tracy Valleau's letter was spot-on. People can't make intelligent decisions at the polls if they think their ignorance makes them smarter than good research would.

On a related note, this story is representative of how gullible people can be. http://mrtoysmentalnotes.blogspot.com/2011/01...

-Mr. Toy
www.montereypeninsula.info
Tom Dominy

Salinas, CA

#11 Jan 4, 2011
What's so wrong with liberal bias? This is what I hate about liberals: they just won't admit to their real agenda. Or course, Joe is a liberal. Everything his paper prints has a liberal agenda. Look at the way they deliver headlines. Everything his staff produces is designed to reinforce more taxes, more government, more regulation, more illegal immigration.

Give me a break. Or better yet, quote me one example where Joe supports Don't Ask Don't Tell, creating a truly effective southern border policy, opposition to nationalized healthcare, support for a flat tax.

So what if he goes to Church. So did Bill Clinton but he sure as hell didn't stop being a liberal.

So what why can't you support Joe being liberal? I don't get it!
Bob Rehm

Soledad, CA

#12 Jan 4, 2011
Thank you Tracy Valleau. An ignorant public spoon fed hysteria by cable TV is the problem. Education is the solution.
YGBSM

Salinas, CA

#13 Jan 5, 2011
Bob Rehm wrote:
Thank you Tracy Valleau. An ignorant public spoon fed hysteria by cable TV is the problem. Education is the solution.
Hasn't helped you any, has it?
Bob Rehm

Marina, CA

#14 Jan 5, 2011
YGBSM wrote:
<quoted text> Hasn't helped you any, has it?
I'm impressed that you even read a newspaper. But still don't have the balls to give your name. typical online sniping.
Herald Exposer

Salinas, CA

#15 Jan 8, 2011
I find it satisfyingly coincidental that on the same day liberal Tracy Valleau laments "hysteria" and makes a plea for "education", and liberal Lisa Bryan decries Fox News, smugly snapping "look it up" with regard to the Pacific Trash Vortex, a new analysis is published showing that—among other deceptions—both the size and density of the Vortex have been "grossly exaggerated" by the media.
Hysteria indeed.

http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archives/2011/j...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News More Monterey Co. Residents Evacuated As Sobera... Jul 25 mattie05 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Jul 24 TWP 72,037
where can I find heroin in monterey? (Oct '14) Jul 22 Zappacrappa42 59
New V P Can't Wait to be President Jul 15 mugnutz 1
Review: First Security Services (May '14) Jul 10 tina me 29
News The vote splitting the nation... Who's worse, E... Jul 8 Brexit1776 1
Poll Are white people tired of Mexicans in Salinas? (Jan '08) Jul 1 Cracker Go Home 890

Marina Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marina Mortgages