Crusading ex-Pa. lawmaker takes in sex offenders

Aug 14, 2008 Full story: Longview News-Journal

A former tough-on-crime Pennsylvania lawmaker has adopted a new and unpopular cause, taking into his home three sex offenders who couldn't find a place to live - a stand that has angered neighbors, drawn ...

Full Story
Drdoolittle

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Aug 14, 2008
I am a quiet man who, for the last two+ years, has opened my home to paroled sex offenders and feel blessed to be part of their rehab & journey towards better health.

Most people seem to think all sex offenders are the same. They are not. These are people with a diverse list of problems. Not all sex offenders violently rape young girls, nor do they all stand in the shadows in their overcoats waiting to flash a passerby.

I screened my renters carefully and ruled out the (stereotypical) violent rapist or predatory pedophile (my state classifies them as Level Three offenders). I found some wonderful, gentle, caring young men who are sincerely committed to personal growth and just need a quiet, safe place to live.

I quietly informed my neighbors with children and they cooperated - fortunately. I assured them these were not violent men and that their parole agents were very involved in their daily & weekly monitoring.

The police are the biggest problem. Their crappy attitudes are a real barricade for these men. Fortunately, the parole officers in my state are very helpful.

I am not a crusader so I have not encountered the wrath of stupid community members, but I offer this to all you who are "up in arms" over these "monsters:" Who is the greater threat, the one you see and know about or the one you don't?

Society's backlash against these people will eventually be quieted, but in the meantime, look within the walls of your own home for the real threat...
Ben Dati

Scotch Plains, NJ

#2 Aug 15, 2008
I'm already 75 pages into a book I'm writing: "Sex Offender Anonymous." The report on Tom Armstrong's acceptance of three so-called "sex offenders" in Marieta, PA, is encouraging. For too long, we have been mired in the myopic mystique of a Salem witch hunt, opting to vent wild anger, rather than break free from our automatic, knee-jerk response to matters, about which we know practically nothing.

Armstrong is revealing only the tip of a societal iceberg of ignorance about so-called "sex offenders." Very bad term, as is any term that sweeps across a broad variety of subjects with a single brush. Recidivism, you ought to know, is only about 13%. What's that do to the idiotic notion of "all offenders are incurable addicts?"
Ben Dati

Scotch Plains, NJ

#3 Aug 15, 2008
While the well-intentioned, God-fearing people of the USA have guarded their children jealously from the threat of "sex offenders," their President has sent 40,000 of their children to be killed or maimed in an illegal war for profit. How does that look on the bottom line of reality?
hyperboliz

Hampton, VA

#4 Aug 16, 2008
There is reason that the response to pedophilia is 'knee-jerk'. It's called maternal/paternal instinct. Are you a parent Ben Dati? I don't think that you could be, given your indefensible coddling of sex criminals. Obviously I do not refer to someone who pisses in public. I don't need to read your book or Tom Armstrong's manifesto to know that I will do ANTHING NECESSARY to protect my kids or anyone elses from monsters like Jesse Timendequa (a repeat sex offender who raped and murdered Megan Kanka age 6), John Evander Cooey who raped and then buried 11 year old Jessica Lundsford , ALIVE (a repeat sex offender). Duncan III (another repeat sex offender) who bludgeoned, raped, shot and burned 6 year old Dylan Groene in front of his little sister. That sad list is far too long already. We, the rabid, knee-jerking and crazed parents of American children don't give a rats ass about the 'rights' of these miscreant low lifes. We have become an enraged ARMY now - having lost our precious children to these demons. NOW WE we are declaring open season on the scumbags who would do our children harm. So write your book and continue your love affair with these horrendous vermin. I question your motives since those despicable turds who murdered the innocents mentioned above are the very criminals YOU wish to DEFEND. The only place for pedophiles who prey on the innocent or anyone who would rape/kill anyone is IN THE CEMETERY. Believe me - the tide has turned in America - it is now WE who are hunting down the sick deviants who perpetrate these acts. We are the hunters now - Perverts be warned. So go ahead and defend them Ben Dati, you pious dork- it won't make a bit of difference in the final analysis because they are GOING DOWN. Law abiding, tax paying families have HAD ENOUGH. You will be dismayed to know that I am a well respected medical professional in my community and all of the members of my medical practice feel exactly as I do. We are out there in droves and we are watching you.
Ben Dati

Havertown, PA

#5 May 8, 2013
I suppose that rabble-rousing lynchers will survive throughout all time. This is not a response to a coward who is afraid to use his own name, but to the sick and ugly brand of thinking that has plagued humanity throughout the ages. Small minds of low intellect have often fallen prey to temptations of hatred; hatred that provided lion-feeding entertainment to the Romans; hatred that sent millions of innocent people to concentration camps and gas chambers in Europe; hatred that allowed mob-frenzied "good" folks to hang black people from trees. I don't think the good Lord ever intended trees to be used for that purpose, but so many of those "god-fearing" morons thought that was a great idea. They also believed that all blacks are the same. The mentally-challenged person who boasted about caring for his children exhibited the kind of irrational anger that should raise concern for the safety of his children. So, I will pray for him. My wife of 53 years and my four adorable children will also pray for that poor, tortured soul. It must be hell to have a brain and not have the slightest clue of what to do with it. By the way, look up the meaning of the word "pedophile" before you irresponsibly hurl it at others. It appears you wouldn't know a pedophile from a nail file. Bless You!
hyperboliz wrote:
There is reason that the response to pedophilia is 'knee-jerk'. It's called maternal/paternal instinct. Are you a parent Ben Dati? I don't think that you could be, given your indefensible coddling of sex criminals. Obviously I do not refer to someone who pisses in public. I don't need to read your book or Tom Armstrong's manifesto to know that I will do ANTHING NECESSARY to protect my kids or anyone elses from monsters like Jesse Timendequa (a repeat sex offender who raped and murdered Megan Kanka age 6), John Evander Cooey who raped and then buried 11 year old Jessica Lundsford , ALIVE (a repeat sex offender). Duncan III (another repeat sex offender) who bludgeoned, raped, shot and burned 6 year old Dylan Groene in front of his little sister. That sad list is far too long already. We, the rabid, knee-jerking and crazed parents of American children don't give a rats ass about the 'rights' of these miscreant low lifes. We have become an enraged ARMY now - having lost our precious children to these demons. NOW WE we are declaring open season on the scumbags who would do our children harm. So write your book and continue your love affair with these horrendous vermin. I question your motives since those despicable turds who murdered the innocents mentioned above are the very criminals YOU wish to DEFEND. The only place for pedophiles who prey on the innocent or anyone who would rape/kill anyone is IN THE CEMETERY. Believe me - the tide has turned in America - it is now WE who are hunting down the sick deviants who perpetrate these acts. We are the hunters now - Perverts be warned. So go ahead and defend them Ben Dati, you pious dork- it won't make a bit of difference in the final analysis because they are GOING DOWN. Law abiding, tax paying families have HAD ENOUGH. You will be dismayed to know that I am a well respected medical professional in my community and all of the members of my medical practice feel exactly as I do. We are out there in droves and we are watching you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marietta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone remember the Chinese Pagoda where Anvil'... Feb 16 Camarokid90 1
shooting at mussers Feb 5 remote controll 1
Rambler, Former Wrightsville Mayor, takes case ... (May '11) Feb 3 Yorkguy 16
Curious Feb 2 Hot momma lookin 1
Legal minds differ on whether The Bluebook is s... Feb 2 lady 1
Heather Marie Arbutina Feb 1 Curious 1
Pastor John Collins Marietta PA (Feb '14) Jan '15 Witch of Columbia 13
Marietta Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web