Harrison High Teacher Arrested on Sex Charge

Full story: WXIA Atlanta 219
Cobb County police have charged a high school music teacher with sexually assaulting a student. Full Story
John

Powder Springs, GA

#188 Apr 25, 2008
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
We all are sinners saved by grace.
Men will be men as long as the world last.
As long as it last the tempter will come.
Don't let your guard down...You could be next.
Truth

Statesboro, GA

#189 Apr 28, 2008
ilovepizza wrote:
Nice to know he was attempting the violin, since that's what he was supposed to be teaching. He didn't inspire much confidence when I was there, but hey, people can change. They can turn into child molesters practically overnight!
Enjoy your orchestra program where you don't plan on learning how to play, kids. Gary Markham and Griggers did say that school orchestra was just something for people who weren't good enough for football. Expensive youth orchestras were there for kids who actually want to learn how to understand music and play well. Guess that mentality is pretty widespread. Very depressing.
Valerie you quit orchestra when Parkman came because you didn't get along with him or anyone else. I learned more about playing when Parkman was here than in the previous 4 years. It says alot about your character to judge someone you never got to know. Didn't you move to Oregon to "study" with Tuttle? Good luck with what ever your up to now. I can see that your attitude still hasn't changed.
saddened

Norcross, GA

#191 May 23, 2008
I know of his wife and she is a wonderful person. this is prime example of lust and letting your thoughts turn into actions. he should have ran at the very site of any over the line actions i really feel for his wife and children, how terrible for them. and also for the young girl involved..i'm sure she had no idea how attention from an older man would make her feel. she is in the wrong but my heart goes out to her as well...she was mislead. and let her own heart and emotions be swayyed for brief moments of what she thought was love. Sad to see a man of his age lose allsight of reality and lose his family and job for nothing...
saddened

Norcross, GA

#192 May 23, 2008
cobb3 wrote:
She WAS pregnant. She mis-carried it. And anyway, she is stupid for getting involved with him. Yeah, he made a mistake. A very costly one. But she is no better. At 17 I knew darn well what I was doing. That's why the age of consent in Georgia is 16 years old. I think it's a shame that the man should lose his career over this. There are men who carry on affairs with young women all over this city that don't have to worry about that...why should he? She is nothing but a tramp for doing what she did and then running and telling when she couldn't handle it anymore.
thats ridiculous...she shouldnt of had to handle it..it was wrong for him to even put her ina situation like that. aswellas himself. he is the older more mature adulT! key word here.age of consent doesnt mean age of maturity to really truly think long term and think ahead what am i doing here. a 32yr,old man has that abilility. he is to blame and she just learned a very hard life lesson t a very young age...sad to say.
I know the Girl

Boise, ID

#193 Jun 13, 2008
You guys are all so messed up. I am sorry, but all of you say how close you were to parkman or that you knew him you didnt! NO ONE DID. he lied to everyone. I thought i was close to him and i saw what he was doing to this girl, but because i respected him i kept my mouth shut. The girl is a very nice girl and she would never hurt anyone. She did not go and wine or complain about a bad grade. She did not tattle, went and confessed himself as well as other students sent emails to the school about it. And who ever is talking about her getting fired and not being able to go back to harrison is screwed up. She walked and went back to school. I am sorry, but here is this. Steven Parkman...lied. to everyone. to his wife, to his kids, to his students. He told me that he hated teaching...he was not the same teacher we all knew. Did you guys know he pruposed ot her....its sick. she didnt deserve this, not what was going on in her life. He used her, and degrated her. I hope he rots in jail, where he deserves. No one knows the story so back the heck off of her.
I know the Girl

Boise, ID

#194 Jun 13, 2008
Also all of you harrison students amanda and so forth, you guys werent here this last semister, you didnt see him, he changed majorly, the WHOLE orchestra could feel it. You guys dont know the girl, you just saw her. She was in his office because he asked her to come, because he felt sorry for her at the begining of her highscho"HAD TO SEE HER" also kids are so dumb they see what they want, everyone noticed her hanging all over him but did they see him all over her NO. did they notice the butt slaps he would give her in class or all the special looks he he gave her no. Or the fact he always stopped talking to people when she walked in the room. He is just as guilty. He confessed to the state. Yeah he was one damn good teacher, but like i always said to him "dont let your pride get the best of you" he did, he still has it. This girl and and her friend had always been close to him, and NO ONE ever questioned it. it was always the three of them. Never just her. So stop the stupid rumors.
you are misinformed

AOL

#195 Jun 16, 2008
i hate to inform you that you don't know what you are talking about. you don't know who the people are involved. yes, she is a child by law. and yes she is not quite as mature or functioning like an adult, but within a few short months she is BY LAW considered a fully functioning adult aka 18. you were not around for the situation, you did not see what those of us who actually attend the school saw. if you knew what you were talking about & saw it with your own eyes, then maybe you would be able to understand. sure, he is an adult and should know better. i'm not saying that either one should take the blame. because he is a fully grown man who should never have put himself in this situation, but she is not stupid. she was not "corrupted." she absolutely knew the situation, she knew the consequences that he would probably have to face alone. the girl has to take on some responsibility if she wants to become an adult in this world, and you know what? she needs to take responsibility for this too. so before you go pointing the finger about something you have no idea about, maybe you should consider that you don't live here, and you don't know the people. therefore, you don't have the right to make a judgement on a situation which you are not properly informed about.
in fact, this is not right for anyone to gossip about period. but especially those who are ignorant of the facts, and do not personally know those involved.
not surprised wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, we can all be sure it's not this teacher...he single handedly corrupted this girl for life.
you are misinformed

AOL

#196 Jun 16, 2008
i do agree with you by the way. you have a right to talk about the situation because you know the girl. i may not know her personally, i did know parkman before this all happened. he did change a lot, and it's unfortunate. the whole situation. for both of them. he made the decision which cost him everything, and she unfortunately has to deal with it too. but it wasn't entirely his fault either. they both chose this. but i'm not here to voice my opinion on it. i just am sick of people gossiping, especially people who don't know what was going on.
I know the Girl wrote:
You guys are all so messed up. I am sorry, but all of you say how close you were to parkman or that you knew him you didnt! NO ONE DID. he lied to everyone. I thought i was close to him and i saw what he was doing to this girl, but because i respected him i kept my mouth shut. The girl is a very nice girl and she would never hurt anyone. She did not go and wine or complain about a bad grade. She did not tattle, went and confessed himself as well as other students sent emails to the school about it. And who ever is talking about her getting fired and not being able to go back to harrison is screwed up. She walked and went back to school. I am sorry, but here is this. Steven Parkman...lied. to everyone. to his wife, to his kids, to his students. He told me that he hated teaching...he was not the same teacher we all knew. Did you guys know he pruposed ot her....its sick. she didnt deserve this, not what was going on in her life. He used her, and degrated her. I hope he rots in jail, where he deserves. No one knows the story so back the heck off of her.
you are misinformed

AOL

#197 Jun 16, 2008
i completely agree with you too. we are allowed to make our own assumptions & we can make valid points. and i wish people who did not know him would shut up.
Amanda315 wrote:
Im just curious as to why all of a sudden everyone that thinks mr parkman was a wonderful teacher thinks that we are children. I am not a child, I did not have a crush on mr parkman. I looked up to him, I trusted him, he was my friend, not some cute teacher that I had a crush on. Stop making assumptions and stop thinking that just because a teenager might post on here they are automatically wrong and automatically had a crush on him. You are wrong, you did not know him personally, and it seems to me that the students are making more relevant comments than the adults.(and being more mature about it aka, not saying the girls name like a harrison MOM did). As hard as it may be to believe, teenagers are able to make valid points and can think for themselves (much like this girl was able to).
I know the Girl

Boise, ID

#198 Jun 17, 2008
I am sorry you think that i am misinformed, but i know my facts are straight, dont you worry about that part.
So really, dont analyze this, because no matter how hard anyone trys they will never know.
All i can say, is steven knows what happened...so i dare him to lie to her face.
hey there

Statesboro, GA

#199 Oct 15, 2008
You guys got way to much time on your hands.

orca dorks har har har.
Iwasthere

United States

#200 Oct 27, 2008
I can't believe people are still talking about it.

I guess they always will be.

I'm not going to say Parkman was the worst, but I'm not going to say he was the best, either. He was kind of akward, but normal at the same time. He did connect with students, but this incident is horrible on both of their parts. His teaching career is ruined, and her life probably isn't going to well right now. Either way, they'll get through it, step by step.
stevie wonder

Conyers, GA

#201 Nov 9, 2008
that man was my teacher. he was a great one too. eff off
stevie wonder

Conyers, GA

#202 Nov 9, 2008
i do cacacocaine

“Protestant, Gay, Libertarian”

Since: Apr 08

Long Island, NY

#203 Nov 9, 2008
Ever notice how people who commit sex crimes are overwhelmingly heterosexual ?
It is not important

Virginia Beach, VA

#204 Nov 11, 2008
Saw that Steven Parkman was recently indicted. I briefly worked along side Steven Parkman in the department and never witnessed any questionable conduct. I'm saddened by the whole situation. Regarding the discussion on whom should be blamed, I believe that (assuming guilt) Parkman was wrong from both an ethical and societal perspective. However, I believe both parties were wrong in terms of moral conduct. The fact that Parkman wasn't the only one in the wrong does not, however, reduce his accountability for the situation. At any rate, I'm not entirely surprised something like this has occurred at this school. Other parts of the department have a record of winning major awards and achieving great things while those running the show operate with questionable ethics.
FacetheMusic

United States

#205 Dec 4, 2008
Mother: Teacher Manipulated Daughter Into Sexual Relationship
By Talia Mollett
tmollett@mdjonline.com

MARIETTA—The mother of a former Harrison High School student who was sexually involved with her orchestra teacher, 33-year-old Steven Parkman, said her then-17-year-old daughter was manipulated into the relationship and Parkman verbally intimidated her to keep quiet.

The mother said Parkman threatened to change her daughter’s grades and write bad recommendations to colleges if she did not continue the relationship with him.

“He made threats that if she didn’t go along with his charades, he would change her grades. He was very controlling and did things very specific in his authority over her as a supervisor/teacher,” she said.“He tried to control and manipulate her by telling her that he could impact her getting into colleges. He held her hostage.”

The relationship started out with a simple hug or kiss before Parkman escalated the contact and eventually began to sexually assault her, the mother said, adding that authorities have text, phone and facebook.com messages to document the details.

The mother said she learned of the relationship about a month after it began.

“She kept it private for about a month and then it got so extreme that she freaked out,” she said.

After the daughter told her parents about the relationship, the family immediately reported it to school authorities, the mother said. They allege Parkman confessed to the relationship and resigned in April instead of being fired from Harrison High School.

Parkman had been employed with Cobb Schools for four years before he resigned "in lieu of termination," school district spokesman Jay Dillon earlier said.

The mother said Parkman contacted her at home before his resignation to ask for her permission to have a relationship with her daughter.

“This is any parent’s worst-case nightmare. It’s a joke to hear him say that the relationship was consensual. Everything I have been reading makes him sound like an upstanding guy. It’s insane,” she said.

Parkman was arrested April 14 after school district leaders alerted Cobb Police to the allegations. He was released from Cobb County Jail the next day on $35,000 bond, according to the Cobb Sheriff's Office.

On Nov. 25, Parkman filed a motion to dismiss sexual assault charges against him, saying the charges were unconstitutional because the sex was consensual. The age of consent in Georgia is 16.

Parkman’s motion states the only reason his conduct may have been illegal is that he may have been a “supervisor” of the teen.

Cobb officer Cassie Reece earlier said a person can be charged with sexual assault “when such a person has a supervisory or disciplinary authority over another person.”

“Because he is a teacher and she is a student and he has authority over her, it was a sexual assault charge,” Reece said.

However, in his motion to dismiss the charges, Parkman contends the law “lacks sufficient specificity, is void for vagueness and does not give a person of ordinary intelligence fair warning that specific conduct is forbidden.”
Parkman waived his formal arraignment Nov.13 and entered a not guilty plea. He is scheduled to appear Feb. 12 before Cobb Superior Court Judge Kenneth Nix for a hearing on the request to dismiss the charges.

“I always had a concern for him,” the mother said.“He came across as being too personal or too detail-oriented in wanting to know information about his students’ personal lives.”

Her daughter has recieved counseling through Cobb County to deal with the situation. She also moved out of state to attend college and avoid flashbacks, she said.

Parkman’s phone number is no longer valid and a call to his wife was not returned by press time.
FacetheMusic

United States

#206 Dec 4, 2008
ERIC WOODWORTH - BAD

United States

#207 Dec 4, 2008
Dec 04 2008
Eric Woodworth
Posted by: Webmaster in Coaches, Georgia, Health/Gym/PE, High Schools, ME-FV
12/04/08 - Initial BadBadTeacher.com Report)
http://badbadteacher.com/
Eric Woodworth, 42, a physical education teacher and ninth-grade football coach at Paulding County High School in Dallas, Georgia has reportedly been arrested and charged with sexual assault involving a 17-year-old female student.
Woodworth came to the attention of authorities around 11 p.m. Tuesday night when Dallas Police allegedly discovered Woodworth and the girl in Woodworth’s vehicle in a Dallas city park.
It is alleged that, when questioned by police, the girl lied about her name and age and that Woodworth allegedly confirmed the false information the girl gave to officers.
Dallas Police turned the investigation over to the Paulding County Sheriff’s Office Crimes Against Children Unit which following its investigation charged Woodworth with one count of sexual assault and one count of obstruction.
The student has been charged with one count of obstruction for lying about her name and birth date when questioned by officers.
Reportedly both the student and Woodworth were still in custody on Wednesday evening.
Woodworth was being held in lieu of bond totaling $4,250.
ilovepizza

Portland, OR

#209 Dec 5, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHA
If you guys haven't read the latest news, Parkman admits to everything--having sex in his car and in the orchestra room!!!! But that's not even the good part. He is pleading not guilty and even daring to try to have the charges dismissed. Why you ask? Because he claims HE DIDN'T KNOW!!!! He didn't know he wasn't supposed to have sex with his students! Waaah! Parkypoo didn't know! Maybe he can start the Georgia Correctional Facility Marching Band.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marietta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 6 min guest 55,642
Statue of William Tecumseh Sherman Peachtree Plaza 7 min The King of Dixie 204
Moms Demand Action Calls On Kroger Family Of St... 4 hr Squach 12
Lyndsey Victoria Darlene thomas 8 hr Omg 2
Group identifies 3rd US aid worker with Ebola 10 hr vote no gay 1
Jason Carter Announces State Committee 10 hr vote no gay 1
Religious regretfully sever Scout sponsorships (May '13) 10 hr lgbt is silly 40
•••

Marietta News Video

•••
•••

Marietta Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Marietta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Marietta News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Marietta
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••