Harrison High Teacher Arrested on Sex...

Harrison High Teacher Arrested on Sex Charge

There are 219 comments on the WXIA Atlanta story from Apr 15, 2008, titled Harrison High Teacher Arrested on Sex Charge. In it, WXIA Atlanta reports that:

Cobb County police have charged a high school music teacher with sexually assaulting a student.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXIA Atlanta.

teaherlady

United States

#24 Apr 15, 2008
seriously disturbing!
Debbie

Marietta, GA

#25 Apr 15, 2008
Music Teacher wrote:
I am appalled by this action. However, I am also concerned about the behavior of the student. Was this man set up to fall, or did he hang himself? Too many unknowns. Children are children, no matter if they're 8 months or 18 years old. We as teachers must be professional. Parents must be parents and teach their children to dress, speak, and act modestly. It's not happeneing, so we can all point a finger at ourselves.
If he went to bed with this student, he hung himself...CONTROL....
Taylor

United States

#26 Apr 15, 2008
WA transplant wrote:
WHAT is WRONG with teachers today?? No wonder the failure rate of our students is so high ... no one is focusing on teaching and studying !!!
When I was in foster care and in high school, I babsat for our basketball coach's children. They were a much loved, well respected Christian family. One night, while he was taking me home after babysitting his three girls, he grabbed me and attempted to kiss me. I believe that is called sexual assault now. I was 16 years old and scared to death. The year was 1970 I think.(I graduated in 1972). I got out of the car and walked the rest of the way home. I told my foster parents, but nothing was said or done about it - partly because my own foster "father" was guilty of the same behavior, although nothing was ever said about it. It used to be very difficult to report such things.(Also, the fear of having to find a new home kept me quiet). Several years later the coach was (finally) caught having a relationship with a student. He was fired and the family moved away never to be heard from again. The difference in then and now is, due in great part, the laws and the media reporting. I had a lot of such "assaults" during my childhood -and adult life - which never got reported.(Most of the offenders are dead now!) We all need to thank God for the changes that have been put in place that require such assaults to be reported. Thank the media for reporting it. It all encourages parents to teach their children to speak up when something inappropriate has been done to their child. Because of my experiences, as soon as my daughter was able to understand what I was teaching her, she knew what was right and wrong about anybody who touched her and to tell me if ever anyone tried something inappropriate. I knew I had gotten thru to her just a little too well when she kicked the father of one of her friends in the shin when he asked for a goodby hug after returning her to me from a play date. She was two. A good kick from those Stride Rite saddle oxfords left me embarrassed and sent him limping out the door. It is now very sad and really very difficult to understand why people - especially teachers - keep doing the same stupid things. Thank goodness the old days of keeping quiet are gone. Looks like the school system has lost yet another good teacher because he could not control himself around kids. I pray for him and his family.
Kat

Woodstock, GA

#27 Apr 15, 2008
I've had one son graduate from Harrison and one still there. If he did have a relationship with this young girl it was wrong and inexcusable. He is the adult and he knew better. However, have you seen the way many (not all) of the young girls dress in the schools these days? They look much older than they should and so often strive to look sexy. I have personally seen these girls throw themselves at the young male teachers. It's time we parents take some responsibility here. We need to make sure our kids understand they are kids and not mini adults with no rules or consequences. I also vote for uniforms. The Prada needs to stay at home!
Douglasville Mom

Atlanta, GA

#28 Apr 15, 2008
I agree with you 100%! I think the school uniform needs to be enforced in EVERY school!
Kat wrote:
I've had one son graduate from Harrison and have another one there now. If he truly did have a relationship with this young girl nothing will excuse it, he's the adult and he knew better. However, have you seen how the young girls act and dress in the schools these days? Many (not all) of them dress and act much older than are. They strive to look and act sexy. I have myself on several occasions seen them throw themselves at these young male teachers. We parents need to take some responsibility here. We need to stop letting our kids think they are mini adults with no rules or consequences. I also think uniforms should be seriously considered. The Prada needs to stay at home.
JJG

United States

#29 Apr 15, 2008
So who was the girl?
Taylor

United States

#30 Apr 15, 2008
Kat wrote:
I've had one son graduate from Harrison and have another one there now. If he truly did have a relationship with this young girl nothing will excuse it, he's the adult and he knew better. However, have you seen how the young girls act and dress in the schools these days? Many (not all) of them dress and act much older than are. They strive to look and act sexy. I have myself on several occasions seen them throw themselves at these young male teachers. We parents need to take some responsibility here. We need to stop letting our kids think they are mini adults with no rules or consequences. I also think uniforms should be seriously considered. The Prada needs to stay at home.
Some might think it a shallow statement to blame some of these occurences on how girls dress these days; however, I have to agree with you. Most are inexperienced little girls who do not understand the ways of the world - and men and what makes them tick. Some of the clothing the girls are wearing now is just not appropriate - especially at school. There is no excuse for a teacher assaulting a student...I just think parents could do a better job of keeping their children out of harms way - a good start would be the choices they are allowed to make concerning appearance. Again, considering this is not the first time something like this has ever happened, it won't stop it. It sure couldn't hurt, tho. There are too many little girls out there growing up in very unstable, insecure environments. The attention from an older male teacher is just too easy a trap for some of them to fall into. Teachers - male and female - do your jobs and protect your kids - don't become the worst memory of their childhood.
Jessica

Demorest, GA

#31 Apr 15, 2008
Kat wrote:
I've had one son graduate from Harrison and one still there. If he did have a relationship with this young girl it was wrong and inexcusable. He is the adult and he knew better. However, have you seen the way many (not all) of the young girls dress in the schools these days? They look much older than they should and so often strive to look sexy. I have personally seen these girls throw themselves at the young male teachers. It's time we parents take some responsibility here. We need to make sure our kids understand they are kids and not mini adults with no rules or consequences. I also vote for uniforms. The Prada needs to stay at home!
I totally agree! Yeah - if he did it and he wasn't able to control himself then boot him. But these punk kids these days make it hard for ANY adult to do their job. I have an 8 month old daughter and by gosh - if she even THINKS she's gonna dress like one of these tramps, acting like she's 30 when she's 16 I'll kick her ass all over the place. It's ridiculous. Kids are punks these days and parents need to lay the law down or let the kids fend for themselves if they're that dang hard heaaded.
frmtheheart

Marietta, GA

#32 Apr 15, 2008
unbelievable? Not really. They are both to blame. Students these days, girls and boys, like the forbidden older man/woman syndrome. Will dress and act older, to attract. The Teacher is to blame for allowing it to happen, and thinking with the wrong head, and allowing the attraction go to far. Was it a scheme to get rid of the teacher? or a student who decided after the fact that it wasnt a good idea, and couldnt keep it to her self? No matter the circumstance they are both at fault. She will look back and say I had an affair with a teacher, he will look back and never forget how he ruined his life and career. Does he have a wife and kids? If so my heart goes out to them, as they would be the innocent victims in all of this.
Anatomy

United States

#33 Apr 15, 2008
WA transplant wrote:
WHAT is WRONG with teachers today?? No wonder the failure rate of our students is so high ... no one is focusing on teaching and studying !!!
in a way... he was still teaching and studying!
Joe

Covington, GA

#35 Apr 15, 2008
this is crazy
trusting

Atlanta, GA

#36 Apr 15, 2008
I have a child that is a special needs student at Harrison High School. People wonder why we are so over protected this is the reason. It this can happen to a regular ed student it could happen to one of ours. This is the reason why we sometimes have a hard time trusting!!

Since: Mar 08

Marietta, GA

#37 Apr 15, 2008
frmtheheart wrote:
unbelievable? Not really. They are both to blame. Students these days, girls and boys, like the forbidden older man/woman syndrome. Will dress and act older, to attract. The Teacher is to blame for allowing it to happen, and thinking with the wrong head, and allowing the attraction go to far. Was it a scheme to get rid of the teacher? or a student who decided after the fact that it wasnt a good idea, and couldnt keep it to her self? No matter the circumstance they are both at fault. She will look back and say I had an affair with a teacher, he will look back and never forget how he ruined his life and career. Does he have a wife and kids? If so my heart goes out to them, as they would be the innocent victims in all of this.
At 17 (age of consent in GA is 16) it is NOT sexual assault. It is not conducive to a good learning environment however and the teacher should lose his/her job but not prison or any registered sexual predator claptrap. Older female teen students WILL USE sexual favors in exchange for getting good (unearned) grades to get into better colleges or just to have bragging rights that they scored with a teacher. This is not fair to the other students who do not play that game.
Tana

United States

#38 Apr 15, 2008
Jessica wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree! Yeah - if he did it and he wasn't able to control himself then boot him. But these punk kids these days make it hard for ANY adult to do their job. I have an 8 month old daughter and by gosh - if she even THINKS she's gonna dress like one of these tramps, acting like she's 30 when she's 16 I'll kick her ass all over the place. It's ridiculous. Kids are punks these days and parents need to lay the law down or let the kids fend for themselves if they're that dang hard heaaded.
I write this with nothing but the kindest of intentions so please don't come back at me angry. I don't think it's going to help any to be calling other peoples children punks and tramps...what it's going to cause is a riot. I certainly wouldn't talk like that in front of your child - they learn what they live, you know. You are just getting started - you have NO IDEA what your precious little girl (and I am not being rude - she is precious - they all are - especially at 8 months)...anyway, you have no idea what she will set her mind to do when she is 13,14,15...if you say no, she might stash it in her bookbag and change in the bathroom. Don't "jinx" yourself by saying "mine never will do that"...Have you been shopping lately and looked at what's out there for a young girl to wear - they don't have much in the way to chose from that's stylish and covers all the major body parts. I was very blessed - my own daughter, now a teacher, says she is glad she is not in high school today -she wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of the clothes that are out there now - her wardrobe would be jeans and t-shirts. She was no nerd - just was born classy. Thank God. That's what is missing in the way the kids look - a show of class. They don't realize it - they are just following the styles. Which is what we did. The instances of sexual assault seem more prevelent now - but they aren't. It's just not being hidden anymore. That's a good thing. Today's clothes aren't the cause - morals are. and television.

Since: Mar 08

Marietta, GA

#40 Apr 15, 2008
Taylor wrote:
<quoted text>
Some might think it a shallow statement to blame some of these occurences on how girls dress these days; however, I have to agree with you. Most are inexperienced little girls who do not understand the ways of the world - and men and what makes them tick. Some of the clothing the girls are wearing now is just not appropriate - especially at school. There is no excuse for a teacher assaulting a student...I just think parents could do a better job of keeping their children out of harms way - a good start would be the choices they are allowed to make concerning appearance. Again, considering this is not the first time something like this has ever happened, it won't stop it. It sure couldn't hurt, tho. There are too many little girls out there growing up in very unstable, insecure environments. The attention from an older male teacher is just too easy a trap for some of them to fall into. Teachers - male and female - do your jobs and protect your kids - don't become the worst memory of their childhood.
Mea Culpa "Taylor" I called you Jessica whose post was beneath yours. Your post was so bizzare it just messed me up. Sorry. Also to you Jessica.:)
Bottom line

Fayetteville, GA

#41 Apr 15, 2008
Way to nose-dive your career, dude. Always nice to have your mugshot shown to the world as well.

Next stop: the Jerry Springer show.
Amanda

Carrollton, GA

#42 Apr 15, 2008
Mr. Parkman was my homeroom teacher for 2 years, I did have a relationship with him, but not one that was inappropriate, one where I knew I could go to him if I needed help on something, I trusted this man he was like a father to me and to hear of something like this happening, it was absolutely horrific. I could not control my emotions and could not have EVER seen that Mr. Parkman would do something like this. He was a great teacher and he truly turned the Harrison High School Orchestra around. This is not to say that what he did was not wrong, it was very wrong, but I know he is not the only one to blame here. I believe this girl had a lot to do with the initiation of the whole thing. I will not name names but this girl was constantly in his office before and after school, she was always around him and the way that teenagers dress today, Im sure it is more tempting now then ever. But once again it is so very wrong. He ruined his life, his career and reputation, he should feel like scum and I hope this is a huge lesson to him. This is not to say that he was a bad person. Mr. Parkman was not a bad person, he was a good person that made a terrible mistake and he will pay for it.
I think if any of you knew him you would be in the same situation I am, in disbelief and shock.
But I don't think that by any means you should 'put your child in private school' Harrison is a wonderful school with many wonderful teachers.

its just...incredibly hard to get through my head right now.
Amanda

Carrollton, GA

#43 Apr 15, 2008
COBB COUNTY, Ga.-- Police have charged a Cobb County music teacher with sexually assaulting a student.
Officials arrested Steven Parkman, 32, the director of the orchestra at Harrison High School. Cobb County officers arrested him late Monday afternoon.
Authorities said the victim is a 17-year-old student at Harrison High. Officials told Channel 2's Ross Cavitt that the case against Parkman is not a rape case.
"If you look at the definition by code section of sexual assault, a person commits that crime when such person has supervisory or disciplinary authority over another person. So because she was a student at the school and he was a teacher, it makes that the appropriate charge," said Officer Cassie Reece with the Cobb County Police Department.
In addition to being the director of the orchestra at Harrison High, he is also the chairman of the Fine Arts department at the school and was named the STAR Teacher for the 2007-2008 school year.
Parkman was released Tuesday morning on a $35,000 bond.
A spokesman for Cobb County Schools, Jay Dillon, says Parkman resigned from his job Friday.
Copyright 2008 by WSBTV.com . All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
friend

Decatur, GA

#44 Apr 15, 2008
frmtheheart wrote:
unbelievable? Not really. They are both to blame. Students these days, girls and boys, like the forbidden older man/woman syndrome. Will dress and act older, to attract. The Teacher is to blame for allowing it to happen, and thinking with the wrong head, and allowing the attraction go to far. Was it a scheme to get rid of the teacher? or a student who decided after the fact that it wasnt a good idea, and couldnt keep it to her self? No matter the circumstance they are both at fault. She will look back and say I had an affair with a teacher, he will look back and never forget how he ruined his life and career. Does he have a wife and kids? If so my heart goes out to them, as they would be the innocent victims in all of this.
Yes, a VERY sweet wife (who does not deserve any of this) and 2 adorable boys (both age 6)- my heart goes out to them
Harrison

Marietta, GA

#45 Apr 15, 2008
This is so sad. Mr.Parkman wasn't a bad guy. He was a great teacher. Pray for him please!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marietta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ronald Trump Caused Violent and Hatred 37 min Tollerton 113
News Dueling groups to rally at Confederate landmark 2 hr ThomasA 387
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Fitus T Bluster 20,177
News State Kicks Kool Smiles in the Teeth (Aug '07) 10 hr Kaylq 419
russian roulette on georgia two lane roads 10 hr wjabbe 7
Review: I Love Kickboxing Atlanta - Buckhead (Aug '14) 11 hr Maritza H 17
tar n meds Thu hereinatlanta 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marietta Mortgages