Man who left child in car seat charged with murder

Jun 19, 2014 Full story: MDJonline.com 27

The man who police say left his 22-month-old child in a hot car seat for his entire work day, leading to the child's death, has been charged with felony murder.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
realist

United States

#1 Jun 19, 2014
Ridiculous....I hope I'mon his jury. He's clearly not guilty of murder. The DA must be an idiot.
realist

United States

#2 Jun 19, 2014
Mens Rea: one must have the intent to commit a crime in order to be found guilty of the crime. When this country was founded this principle was found in our legal system… Somewhere along the line we lost our way and dropped this idea. He's already being punished way worse than any district attorney can punish him.
Sad

Jefferson, GA

#3 Jun 19, 2014
This is so sad on so many levels. I hate it when someone says "he somehow forgot" like there is no way it would ever happen to them. I can tell you how it happens. We are overworked, don't get enough sleep, have children and we work 50-70 hours a week. I could have been this many twenty years ago. I actually made it to work one day and forgot to drop my son off at daycare. When you get up at 5:30 in the morning to make it to work by 8 am in our traffic (if you're lucky) and work till 5 or 6, pick-up kids, fix dinner, give baths and relax a bit its midnight. I get how this happens and yes, its horrible. Do we need a DA to step in and charge someone who was doing their best and loved their child with murder ---- NO. Focus on a real criminal and quit wasting taxpayer dollars. What ever happened to the word "accident". Why does everything have to be a criminal act? This guy will punish him more than any criminal system ever will. Pathetic DA --- just pathetic.
Charles

United States

#4 Jun 20, 2014
He will most likely get INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER which is still a felony which is at least a year in prison.
The cops are trying to figure out if 1) the child was already dead or 2) if he was on some kind of drugs at the time.
Now, a woman can probably get off because women are not viewed as especially "bright" in the legal system.
But, him being a white male, is supposed to be a smarter and "more responsible" person.
Remember, this country was built by white males.
Cobbme

Marietta, GA

#5 Jun 22, 2014
I certainly hope that the Cobb Medical Examiner brings his "A" game to this investigation. He is an under-qualified ME. He has a history of falsifying autopsy reports, and incomplete investigations.
Just an FYI

Cumming, GA

#6 Jun 22, 2014
Cobbme wrote:
I certainly hope that the Cobb Medical Examiner brings his "A" game to this investigation. He is an under-qualified ME. He has a history of falsifying autopsy reports, and incomplete investigations.
I don't know anything about the ME or his history but I did read that upon completion of the autopsy that he has questions pertaining to this case which is why there is a delay in filing the official cause of death and death certificate.

The police are alluding that there is more than meets the eye with this case. I find that statement to be kind of a crapy thing to release as it incites an already highly emotional atmosphere. If its still an open investigation say that.... Don't encourage the mob mentality on either side. The police and DA need to leave their ego at the door. Just because there is an online petition to let the man go free because some feel he is being over charged for what they feel was an accident who cares. They are the professionals ...just do your job and let the chips fall where they may. Why give a quote to the paper saying there is evidence that they can't discuss but it has changed the course of the case. Finish up your investigation then discuss it with the press. Everyone is always ready for their preverbal close up when a case goes national. A child's life was lost... Figure out what the circumstances were instead of defending your previous actions to the community and the media. Frankly its none of our business at this point.
TBT

Lawrenceville, GA

#7 Jun 23, 2014
The "mob mentality" in our society exists because of the Internet and forums like this that allow comments. You cannot say "don't judge" as long as comments are allowed. We as humans "judge" everyday, you can chose to be honest or a hypocrite about your participation in public opinion.

I believe that this man was doing something that will prove he was "distracted" beyond reason. This is a tragedy that could have been prevented in many ways.
Just an FYI

Cumming, GA

#8 Jun 23, 2014
TBT wrote:
The "mob mentality" in our society exists because of the Internet and forums like this that allow comments. You cannot say "don't judge" as long as comments are allowed. We as humans "judge" everyday, you can chose to be honest or a hypocrite about your participation in public opinion.
I believe that this man was doing something that will prove he was "distracted" beyond reason. This is a tragedy that could have been prevented in many ways.
I never said anything about "not judging". I expressed my disappointment with a Sargent's poor judgement to make a cryptic statement to a reporter without out providing details to back it up. Saying this situation shook his conscious as a father and grandfather doesn't make it clear if it was an accident or if there was foul play. Both ideas rattle me being a child suffered regardless. In the same interview he mentioned they can't confirm the child was in the car at 9am... again that could still be taken several ways. I just think it was useless information yet encouraged a debate on both sides.

If he was distracted wouldn't that imply it was an accident? At what point,
Other than being impaired by drugs or alcohol, does an accident become criminal?
Learn about the ME

Duluth, GA

#9 Jun 23, 2014
Just an FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know anything about the ME or his history but I did read that upon completion of the autopsy that he has questions...
I think it is important to this case. The ME is Brian Frist. Frankly he has a history of being wrong with cause and manner of death. His mistakes have cost 3 people their lives. The board of commissioners is voting in 4 weeks on firing him. Just google his name and "audit" or go to cobbme.com . Go to the page that describe his 3 biggest mistakes. He just isn't qualified.
TBT

Lawrenceville, GA

#10 Jun 23, 2014
The ME and whatever issues others have with him will have NO bearing whatsoever on the outcome of this case.

LE and the media put details out for public consumption, enough to let the accused know and any other participants that there more to this horrendous death than known. Read between the lines. Harris was supposed to drop his son off at daycare, a daycare that he routinely went to because it was on the same site as his office. They are searching his office because he might not have actually gone to work, he might have been somewhere else with someone else. It is very possible that he said other things that have lead them to suspension
Learn

Marietta, GA

#11 Jun 23, 2014
TBT wrote:
The ME and whatever issues others have with him will have NO bearing whatsoever on the outcome of this case.
I respectfully disagree. The ME will personally decide if charges stand (homicide), or are dropped (accident or undetermined)
TBT

Lawrenceville, GA

#12 Jun 24, 2014
Learn wrote:
<quoted text>
I respectfully disagree. The ME will personally decide if charges stand (homicide), or are dropped (accident or undetermined)
The ACTIONS of the FATHER will determine the formal, LEGAL charges. The child is DEAD -- a HOMICIDE has already been established. The child did not commit suicide, the father committed homicide.
The father is sitting in jail, first and foremost, because there is evidence or MURDER. The only accident LE are trying to prevent now is for the father not totaled his own life (suicide) before we have all the answers.
Learn

Duluth, GA

#13 Jun 24, 2014
I am speaking from a legal aspect, not an emotional one. If the ME agrees and rules Homicide, yes - charges will stand. If he rules Accident, charges will be amended. If he rules undetermined, a conviction will be unlikely for Murder. In Cobb, the PD and ME work closely together, unlike the other counties where the GBI Crime Lab or independent ME investigators or Coroners play a role. In Cobb, Manner of Death is one man's opinion.
Moesha Orangello Taft

Lawrenceville, GA

#14 Jun 24, 2014
I heard from my friends baby dad's cousin that this man was trifling with someone on the down low. Thinking about the dirty nasty all day will take your mind off lots of things I guess including your own children's. People getting caught all over the ATL doing bad stuff. White folks need to get a hold cause y'all already becoming the minority. This kid could gave growed up to pay for my kids. Priorities
Moesha Orangello Taft

Lawrenceville, GA

#15 Jun 24, 2014
Learn wrote:
I am speaking from a legal aspect, not an emotional one. If the ME agrees and rules Homicide, yes - charges will stand. If he rules Accident, charges will be amended. If he rules undetermined, a conviction will be unlikely for Murder. In Cobb, the PD and ME work closely together, unlike the other counties where the GBI Crime Lab or independent ME investigators or Coroners play a role. In Cobb, Manner of Death is one man's opinion.
This dead baby daddy is going down. You white people be trippin if you think he is getting off. He was gettin off alright for hours not thinking about his baby. Do you accidentally not go to your job so you can do the nasty?
RIP Cooper Harris

Lawrenceville, GA

#16 Jun 24, 2014
A rush to judgement in support of this man who was once called a father. This man has had a petition of over 10k signatures saying he should be free and a bank account in excess of 20k in donations. Delusional ignorance by the dumb masses. Where is your compassion for the DECEASED?
The public has been duped once again. Our society makes victims out of the wrong people, and we seem to have forgotten the true victim is a little boy named Cooper Harris.
RIP Cooper Harris.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/co...
HSC

Carrollton, GA

#17 Jun 25, 2014
Waiting patiently for proof that the father came back out to his car during the day and retrieved an item from the passenger side. I find it hard to believe the child was overlooked twice in such a small vehicle.
Charles

United States

#18 Jun 27, 2014
I agree that the sargent shouldn't make any incindiary statements to the press. This is irresponsible for an investigator.
Where is his wife in all this? Or did they split up and he got custody?
I wonder if he is a pro-lifer or pro-choicer?(Most men are pro-life.)
We need to keep an eye ont he prosecutor. They've been known to fabricate evidence in order to win a case.(Re-visit the LaCrosse soccer team trial in NC.)
MEs are often dumb as a rock. I heard one was tested and he flunked. He was given a liver and he called it a fetus!
Our tax dollars at work!
Criminal Minds

Hampstead, NC

#19 Jun 27, 2014
Charles wrote:
I agree that the sargent shouldn't make any incindiary statements to the press. This is irresponsible for an investigator.
Where is his wife in all this? Or did they split up and he got custody?
I wonder if he is a pro-lifer or pro-choicer?(Most men are pro-life.)
We need to keep an eye ont he prosecutor. They've been known to fabricate evidence in order to win a case.(Re-visit the LaCrosse soccer team trial in NC.)
MEs are often dumb as a rock. I heard one was tested and he flunked. He was given a liver and he called it a fetus!
Our tax dollars at work!
Those who call out the police, prosecutors, etc. are hypocrites .... People that have been in trouble law often stick up for those criminals. You are just pissed off because you got caught, so you are just supporting a murderer. Crimals support crimals .... You stick together. You are sick.

You are just as bad as David Cline pimping his change.org website to let Ross Harris off, or Heather Curry Mccullar lying and begging for money on her youcare.org site. Fraudsters that are not looking for justice for poor, dead little boy Cooper Harris are sick!

Anyone that does not support Cooper Harris fully and supports the so-called parents and their disgusting PR campaign are psychos. Karma.
Charles

United States

#20 Jun 27, 2014
How dare you call me a "crimal".
What is a "crimal" anyway?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marietta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atlanta Sucks! (Feb '12) 5 min I Hate Syracuse 138
Why are black men so childish (Sep '07) 7 min I Hate Syracuse 181
Paul McCartney's 'Out There!' shows are hot, ho... 4 hr TheAfroHedgehog 2
Topless women weekend 7 hr Ladonna C 1
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Observer 19,589
Viagre 11 hr itsyorchoys 3
Police Search For Johnny Neptune (Jan '11) 14 hr no one you know 10

Marietta News Video

Marietta Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Marietta People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:30 pm PST