Religious regretfully sever Scout spo...

Religious regretfully sever Scout sponsorships

There are 41 comments on the The Northwestern in Oshkosh story from May 31, 2013, titled Religious regretfully sever Scout sponsorships. In it, The Northwestern in Oshkosh reports that:

"We are not willing to compromise God's word," said Easley, pastor of the 2,300-member Roswell Street Baptist Church in Marietta, Ga., which has sponsored Boy Scout Troop 204 since 1945.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Northwestern in Oshkosh.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#1 May 31, 2013
So they claim that they follow the Bible and aren't willing to change their interpretation of "God's word"?

To avoid being hypocrites then they must be:

- pro slavery
- anti rights for women (including the right for women to speak in church, or to teach males at all)
- pro murdering anyone who follows other faiths
- pro death penalty for swearing
- pro death penalty for being disrespectful to a parent

Then there are all those kosher food rules, and avoiding all women who might be menstruating, and avoiding mixed fibre clothing (no cotton/polyester blends!)

It's got to be pretty exhausting being a True Christian™. I'm surprised they have any time at all to even notice things like Scouts.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#2 May 31, 2013
my church hasn't dropped their sponsorship of the boy scouts troup.

but then, why would they? it's an ELCA church.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#3 May 31, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
my church hasn't dropped their sponsorship of the boy scouts troup.
but then, why would they? it's an ELCA church.
I'm an ELCA Lutheran and a member of the UCC, and a former Cub Scout and a former Boy Scout. My church kicked the Boy Scouts out more than 20 years ago BECAUSE OF their anti-gay policies.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#4 May 31, 2013
Oh, please. They're Baptists. What the hell do THEY know about God's word???

These are the same people that support beating their children to beat the bad out of them. That local Scout Troop is WAY better off finding a less hateful and more intelligent sponsor.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#5 May 31, 2013
eJohn wrote:
These are the same people that support beating their children to beat the bad out of them. That local Scout Troop is WAY better off finding a less hateful and more intelligent sponsor.
I agree. The Baptists are a weird group.(ONLY ELCA Lutherans have things EXACTLY right !:))

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#6 May 31, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an ELCA Lutheran and a member of the UCC, and a former Cub Scout and a former Boy Scout. My church kicked the Boy Scouts out more than 20 years ago BECAUSE OF their anti-gay policies.
Are you acquainted with FaFoxy by any chance? You two might get along.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#7 May 31, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Are you acquainted with FaFoxy by any chance? You two might get along.
I was just thinking the same thing. Although, I don't remember seeing any posts from him since Europa Report showed up. Clark Kent and Superman were never seen the the same room at the same time, either.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#8 May 31, 2013
eJohn wrote:
baptists = self serving, smug and self rightous.

grew up deep in east texas and the area was lousy with them.

your beer was safe when there was more than one around, but as soon as it was just them and your beer, poof....gone in a new york minute.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#10 May 31, 2013
read on another news site earlier that now some baptist church in alabama's done the same.

guess the baptists will be unrepresented by scouting. this could be a good thing, ya know.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#11 May 31, 2013
"We are not willing to compromise God's word," says Pastor Easley.

Reminds me of the recent "sting" operation on bakeries which were perfectly happy to make cakes for divorces, out-of-wedlock births, or even friggin' CLONES. They seem perfectly willing to compromise, as long as they can pick and choose.

I suppose this'll be like the adoption services in DC, where they'll claim they were "forced" to withdraw services because of the policy change, when in fact it was completely voluntary on their part to ditch out on kids (again).

Here's an idea, maybe they could follow the teachings of the founder of their church, who used to hang out with the outcasts and sinners, teaching love and inclusion.

Palm Springs, California

#12 May 31, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just thinking the same thing. Although, I don't remember seeing any posts from him since Europa Report showed up. Clark Kent and Superman were never seen the the same room at the same time, either.
Just whup off those glasses and voila, Superman.

I used to be a huge Superman comics fan in my youth and he sometimes would fool others by moving at light speed and whip in and out, changing his clothes,to make them think that both Clark Kent and Superman were in the same room, thought NOT right next to each other.

Palm Springs, California

#13 May 31, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he posted his address and video tour of his new house, including all doors and high fenced back yard, too many times and someone may have tried to GET him or something, despite me warning him to knock it off.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#14 May 31, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>Are you acquainted with FaFoxy by any chance? You two might get along.
This has GOT to be Foxy! aka Daniel, aka Frank Stanton ... just another name change! I would recognize that typography anywhere. Gee, I wonder who he's pissed off now that he's hiding from.

Palm Springs, California

#15 May 31, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
This has GOT to be Foxy! aka Daniel, aka Frank Stanton ... just another name change! I would recognize that typography anywhere. Gee, I wonder who he's pissed off now that he's hiding from.
When he began crowing about how HIS church is the most perfect one in the world, that was a red flag big time. when he began bashing the USA and the president, that was it for proof.

I actually think his stuff is stupid, but basically harmless. The haters and right wingers LOVE LOVE LOVE him, so they wouldn't boot his ass.

I wonder what happened?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#16 May 31, 2013
eJohn wrote:
The hardware store was our troop's sponsor
We got merit badges for building our own boy scout hut to meet in
Our Boy Scout troop had nothing to do whatsoever with any of the religions
If it did; we wouldn't have joined the scouts
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#17 May 31, 2013
The Baptists finished writing their own bible in 1952
1952 was the year they added homosexuals to the bible
Before 1952; homosexual was not in the Bible
So it's their own dang fault that it backfired on them
for changing GOD's word

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#18 May 31, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
The Baptists finished writing their own bible in 1952
1952 was the year they added homosexuals to the bible
Before 1952; homosexual was not in the Bible
So it's their own dang fault that it backfired on them
for changing GOD's word
Yes. They replaced the word "Democrats" with "homosexuals".
Greg

Alger, MI

#19 May 31, 2013
Thank God for Zen Buddhism

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#20 Jun 1, 2013
The BSA's path ahead is clear: shed their bigoted religious donors one by one and then change their policies ASAP to allow LGBT adults -- the vacuum will quickly be filled by sponsors and families who used to love the Scouts before the discrimination became an issue.
Throughout this process, though, they need to screen scoutmasters carefully to eliminate any potential pedophiles who may be lurking there even now.(They are difficult to spot because the typical profile is that of a hetero married male, often with children, who doesn't typically have any record of normal adult homosexual relationships). The LGBT community doesn't need to get stuck with the pedophile stigma, which we abhor as much as the heteros do!
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#21 Jun 1, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. They replaced the word "Democrats" with "homosexuals".
LOL! You're as funny as a heart attack
They lost the words 'effeminate' and 'mankind abusers' and added 'homosexual'
Well; as it turns out; 'effeminate' is a female woman; not a sexual oriention
And 'mankind abuser' is not a sexual orientation either; it is a person who gets their jollies treating others badly
So the Arrogant Baptists screwed up again (as usual)
Here's the way King James published it:
++++++++++
1 Corinthians 6:9> Know yee not that the vnrighteous shall not inherite the kingdome of God? Be not deceiued: neither fornicatours, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselues with mankinde,
1 Corinthians 6:10> Nor theeues, nor couetous, nor drunkards, nor reuilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
++++++++++
So the Arrogant Baptists came along and changed GOD's Holy Word to look like this:
++++++++++
1 Corinthians 6:9> Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of GOD? Do not be deceived: neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals,
1 Corinthians 6:10> nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.
So here we are; 61 years later; and the Arrogant Baptists look like the biggest idiots on God's green earth; and the Boy Scouts of America just bit them on their sorry homophobic @sses

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marietta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Weather Channel (Jan '10) 2 hr 12th Man 48
a Search for a Lost US Army Vet from Ft. Sam 5 hr Thundermg1swife 2
The gonna remove stone mountain next 15 hr ThomasA 39
Forest Park Mayor 16 hr Caught ya 4
News The last solar eclipse to impact metro Atlanta ... 18 hr Pistol Pete 2
Please don't marry him Sun Leslie 4
'Good' pain management doctors (Aug '11) Jul 31 Lesliehustle13 34

Marietta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance