Bethany Place
First Prev
of 22
Next Last
Gagal1984

Murphy, NC

#1 Oct 6, 2012
Over the last month or two there have been cop cars at that women's center on East Cherokee drive several times. Yesterday 11alive was there filming across the street while 2 police units were in the parking lot.
Wonder what's up with that? Anybody have any clues?
Someone who cares

Woodstock, GA

#2 Dec 5, 2012
It was 4 women who stayed in BP at one time. 1 of the three stayed their 22 years ago. My daughter at one time was staying their and after a few months (after the three month thing) I wasn't allowed to see my daughter and hadn't for 1 1/2 years. Well then I was told that we couldn't talk to her any more and I said enough is enough so we did a wells fair check and removed my daughter from the Ministry. After all of the stuff my daughter has told me that is going on their we felt we should try to remove one of the other residents. 11 Alive news is doing a report on it and happen to be their that day. So to answer your qustion their you go. I find it interesting that they didn't put up a fight to keep my daughter but they put up a fight to keep this other lady. They tried to get me to pay money for my daughter to stay their but if I was going to be treated like a dog I wasn't going to support the ministry. But this other lady is getting a S.S check and they put up a fight to keep her. I'm just saying judge it for yourself.
Gagal1984

Murphy, NC

#3 Dec 5, 2012
Thank you Someone who cares!! Never saw anything on TV but will admit that I've heard a few stories from women who have left there. And to be 100% honest my own daughter was in there a little over 2 years. My main goal with the 1st post was to grab some attention and start a conversation.

People just plain need to know that this is not a great place to be, and for sure not if you have babies or children! Maybe it started out good but something changed in a major way.

As for the person getting the SS check, I've no doubts you may be right on the money. No pun intended. GaGal1984
Concerned-friend

Cumming, GA

#4 Feb 4, 2013
I volunteer with a teen moms group and we are looking for a home for one of the girls that is 16 and she has an infant. Can you give me specifics on why Bethany Place is not a place we should send her? Thanks so much!
GaGal1984

Murphy, NC

#5 Feb 6, 2013
Concerned-friend, thank you for inquiring, I've got a good bit to share but may have to post it in parts. Please bare with me.

As stated above, my daughter was there for two years, she had her two young sons with her. So what I share will be mostly what I saw, experienced, saw her experience and then learned once she got out. She and many others that left there are in a support group to try and help each other get over and past their wounds.

For starters when a woman enters there they are not allowed to see or talk to their family for 3 or so months. My daughter still will not talk about what happened in those 3 months but from a mother's heart it must have been grulling. <sp>

Let me share a few posts made elsewhere that again is from my perspective:

My daughter was there for over 2 years and I can not fully express the level of betrayal I felt once I learned what happened to her in that place. She needed help, she left with even more pain.

As a steady visitor I saw and heard things I didn't agree with but supported my daughter and told her I was proud of her. Little by little I began to learn that the sweet sunshine image shown to the public and visitors was a false front. Sandy Reed, the director, is so sweet to your face and so full of compassion on the phone but behind your back she tears you down to your daughter and says things like, "No reason you're such a loser, just look at what a loser your mother is!"

Ok, that may sound petty because I felt angry but also defensive because God said I'm not a loser and for a Christian woman to say this about another is wrong. Far far above that, my daughter is not a loser. Period.

GaGal1984
GaGal1984

Murphy, NC

#6 Feb 6, 2013
Now a more serious issue:

In 2008, my daughters ex-husband became very ill. Their two teen sons came to live with me because it looked like his recovery was going to be long. I called Sandy, the owner and asked that they pray for Charles and to let my daughter know. She flowered me with "Oh, I am so sorry he is sick, and oh this and or that sweet words" assuring me they would all be praying. The boys and I came for Thanksgiving and my daughter learned Charles was sick but there was no cause for alarm at that time.

Sadly, that quickly changed and we lost this precious young man December 5th. I called Sandy who once again flowered sweet words of sorrow out of her mouth and said she would tell my daughter.

Day of the funeral arrived and here comes my daughter, Sandy and her husband Mike. Sandy and her husband flanked my daughter almost every step she took and even blocked her from sitting by her sons during the service. One sat on her right and the other on her left. She had to reach over Sandy's lap to touch one son who was sobbing almost the whole service. Touch but not put her arms around and comfort him. She got to visit a little after the service before having to leave.

Fast forward to when my daughter got out of this viper's den in 2010... She told said that after I called Sandy to say that Charles had died she was called into Sandy's office and the door shut behind her. She was sure she was in some kind of trouble but instead Sandy said, "He died you know!" Or something close to that... My daughter said she had NO idea who died and that Sandy was watching her like a hawk to see how she would react. She said she had to process it quickly as to who may have died and decided it had to be her ex-husband. She knew from experience her reply had to be bland and uncaring so she muttered words to that effect. She had to cry over his death where nobody could see her.

I was stuned to learn this once she got out! It was my impression from the very 1st call that my daughter knew the father of her two oldest sons was ill and then gravely ill!

This is just the tip of my iceberg! This IS NOT a place to take a hurting woman. Even more so this is NOT a place to take a woman with children. The punishment there is swift and forced on the mothers. Babies, not newborns, get no slack either. They shut up or their little hands get spanked with paint sticks. This woman that runs this place says the babies shut up when she walks in because she walks in authority <sp> they see and respect it. Uh no Sandy, they see you and sheer terror crosses their faces. I saw it.

I don't think that this place should be shut down. It's such a lovely place inside and it has promise. Get rid of the Reed's, all of them, and bring in some truly precious Christian house parents and this place will soar on angel's wings and our precious wounded and abused daughters will come out ready for where God leads them.
GaGal1984

Murphy, NC

#7 Feb 6, 2013
One last personal comment:

As previously stated, punishment was swift there. And my daughter stated she once had to send her son to school in long pants to cover up marks on his legs from a spankng she was was forced to give him. Her words.

Lastly, not long before the 1st post I made two vry precious women that had been there a good while had no choice but to call 911 to get them out of that place.

Does any of this help you? Hope so!
Someone who cares

Woodstock, GA

#8 Feb 14, 2013
I'm growing tired of waiting on chanel 11 news to report about the abuse at Bethany place. Their needs to be an undercover investagter that goes into that place as a young adult tomseemfor themself what that place is really like. I'm seriously considering on contacting another news station. I just don't want to see any other women damaged because of this ministry. I agree that new directors would take over and the reeds need to retire.
Concerned person

United States

#9 May 10, 2013
I need to know more. I have contacted local government and I need more information...more stories. We are listening but I need specifics in order for my boss to let me proceed. You don't have to give names right away just tell me your age and how long you stayed there along with a brief story. The people I work for have authority. Help me help you.
Someone who cares wrote:
I'm growing tired of waiting on chanel 11 news to report about the abuse at Bethany place. Their needs to be an undercover investagter that goes into that place as a young adult tomseemfor themself what that place is really like. I'm seriously considering on contacting another news station. I just don't want to see any other women damaged because of this ministry. I agree that new directors would take over and the reeds need to retire.
GaGal

Murphy, NC

#10 May 10, 2013
Concerned person wrote:
I need to know more. I have contacted local government and I need more information...more stories. We are listening but I need specifics in order for my boss to let me proceed. You don't have to give names right away just tell me your age and how long you stayed there along with a brief story. The people I work for have authority. Help me help you.
<quoted text>
Thank you that you care and wish to help. Good luck with the local government in the county this shelter is at. From as near as we can see she has them in her back pocket and her jezebel spirit knows how to play them and her haughty spirit knows how to brow beat people with looks, ways of speaking and twisting Bible verses that if you are not learned in the Bible you will feel overwhelmed by. DFACS ignores this place because when they do show up all the paint sticks are hidden and everything looks squeaky clean. Women are to afraid to speak up and don't seem to get the backbone to leave until they can not take the abuse they get heaped on them and their children any more.
This place doesn't answer to any shelter guide lines by teh state because the state doesn't fund them is my understanding. 11Alive has backed out on these wounded women for legal reasons also steming from brow beating.
Let me assure you that Sandy Reed that runs this place would tell you God is defending her and that's why we have been unable to touch her. She will claim she has 23 years of helping women and has an ever changing number of women who have gone through there that they have helped. 1. God has His own way this place will be brought down and His own time. You may or may not be the person He is using. 2. 23 years of service and helping yet the women, a few dozen so far, that I know came out of there wounded in mind body and spirit. Sickness isn't tolerated, you are accused of trying to get out of work. Same goes for broken bones. 3. It's an 18 month program with limited space/rooms yet some of the ladies have, or had, been there 5 and 9 years and inbetween. One lady will not be able to function on her own if she is ever set free from that place because they have not helped her grow, they have grown her to depend on them.
I will share your desire and do know some of the ladies read in here. You have my upmost respect for what you wish to undertake and any support I can give.
praising GOD

Woodstock, GA

#11 May 10, 2013
Concerned-friend
Please do not send any one to this place! there is a tremendous amount of mental and emotional abuse that goes on at Bethany place. also there are police reports available at the Cherokee county police department if you need proof of what happens to the women who live there. Its an awful place that hides behind Christianity to enslave women and children.
OnceAPrisonerofB ethanyPl

Franklin, NC

#12 May 10, 2013
I kept journals. I logged different situations including when gifts that people bought for the children of the ministry for Christmas were instead with-held and put out to sell in the store. I kept journals of the brow beatings and scream fests. So many things I didn't write, like how every piece of mail is opened and read by Sandy Reed. How she decides whether or not you receive it. I hid my journal in a different place every day, especially towards the end before I was finally able to leave the place because the room raids were more and more frequent. I had to smuggle my journals out of the place with my family when they came to visit.
I can tell you that I still have nightmares from being there. I did what I had to do to survive, but it involved doing terrible things. I was forced on more than one occasion to beat my children under their supervision to purge the demonic wills out of my children that my poverty put in them. Other times she would not like something they had done in church and would have me haul them out of service so she could beat their legs and bottom. She often grabbed my son's face in her hands pinching his mouth and screamed in his face.(I wanted to push her off him,I felt so helpless. Just as I did when his father was beating me) then she would get in my face that his demonic behavior was my fault because I was full of poverty.
If we disagreed with anything we were screamed at over and over that we would never be right with God if we did not submit to the authority God put in her. She also said that because we were so full of poverty we would never hear the voice of God in her.She accused us almost daily of various ludicrous things. Also, I feel important to say that after each scream fest, we were reassured of her love for us and how she just wanted to see us grow in the Lord and be the people God meant for us to be. It would end in us crying, and her hugging us and leaving.(Every abuser apologizes to you to maintain control)
One woman who is mentioned above, is old enough to be my mother. She was also forced to perform hard labor in the blistering heat like the rest of us. Her name is Connie Lee Holcomb. She has been abused her whole life and it is all she knows. Many times I know she was sick and in pain, and when she tried to say something, she too was screamed at for the poverty that needed purging. Sandy screamed at me and the other women about how we were so full of poverty we stank. I had recently passed gas one day so obviously she didn't know what poverty really was.
I can also tell you that the Wednesday night bible studies were not anything close to bible learning, but rather listening to her endless stories of her childhood and raising her sons alone and the various things she endured. She disrespected her husband on a regular basis in front of the women and he too had the brow beaten look.
You may ask me,'Why did you stay so long? If it was so bad why not leave?' I can say this, once you're beaten down and submissive enough they retrain your brain to think their way, so that when you say that it is time for you to leave, they haul you into the laundry room and beat into your head that you are no better off than you were when you first came begging for their help. They (Sandy, Mike, & their daughter the house mother) point out all your flaws that you struggled to overcome and were praised for overcoming prior to you deciding you want to leave. Or they convince you that you can be part of the ministry and give you a position of authority over the other women. This comes with a price of course, any position of authority comes with Sandy asking regularly for information to use against the other women there. Either way, you find yourself pulled into a deeper bondage. Often times she said,'you can leave anytime, there are no bars on the windows'. Let me tell you, no there are not, but there are video cameras monitoring your every move, and the prison bars put in your mind stealthily.
GaGal1984

Murphy, NC

#13 May 11, 2013
Bravo to the women who posted 11 & #12! One can only hope all the posts are allowed to stay here and that more folks can add to it or be warned.

Not sure if I have said this in this forum or not but it is NOT my/our desire to see Bethany Place closed down and left to rot. It is a ery very lovely center. The Reed's and their daughter need to be removed and since she isn't really their daughter maybe once she is away from them she can be set free from the brain washing control they have over her. She is lovely and precious with an adorable daughter that needs to learn from true Christian life examples.
concerned boyfriend

Powder Springs, GA

#14 May 20, 2013
its a really long story but my girlfriend was have some issues with past relationships and we decided that a place like this would be a good idea, she just went to stay there yesterday, i had searched but didnt find any of this information until today!
Now I'm freaked out, she has been through so much, she doesn't need anything like this!If you could please message me back, I need more information!
GaGal1984

Murphy, NC

#15 May 20, 2013
You have every reason to freak out. You do know you can't see her for 3 months now right? Don't be surprised if she kicks you to the curb. Not because you deserve to be but because they will try and turn her against you.

There were other places people had posted. In one a lady who had come a yard sale there talked about how she had a bad experience with Sandy. In another a father spoke of how he had to rescue/remove his daugher from that place.

Sandy seems to have ways for some of this stuff to go away. Not sure she has learned about this thread.
AcworthBeachGal

Dawsonville, GA

#16 May 20, 2013
It's not a question of whether or not she will be turned against you-the bottom line is she will. Because you 'abandoned her' is likely what will be crammed down her throat. For the next 90 days she's shut out from the world and afterwards only immediate family will be permitted after extensive screening by Sandy has been done. You will not be permitted any contact whatsoever because she will be indoctrinated that any man in her life is part of her sinful life and therefore not apart of her new life. It's a horrible thing for me to have to tell you this. Perhaps she will be able to glean basic goodness from there. I know of at least a dozen women who spent time there. They are all changed women, some have horror stories to tell and others only minor. For all the bad, God can still reach her if her heart is open to receive Him. Perhaps also if she needs some lessons in basic structure of life, she will be able to get that. It has been sometime since I was there, it's possible but unlikely the systematic brain washing has changed according to the things said here in this forum.
concerned boyfriend

Marietta, GA

#17 May 20, 2013
oh no! I really love that girl, she is absolutely amazing! She has been through some really bad stuff and we really were finding peace in our lives. Shes the love of my life, but couldn't get some bad stuff out of her head, it seemed like a good decision! I had a bad feeling about the whole thing, though!I have done everything in my will to help, spent every dime i have, and been there as her only support! Im the only person in her life who cares about her, this hurts, im really torn up! She had said that i can go to church, and to the wed. bible study is that not true!! I should probably stop posting on here, huh! There are some other things I have found out, but don't feel comfortable writing them on here!
concerned boyfriend

Marietta, GA

#18 May 20, 2013
Concerned person wrote:
<quoted text>
I have information but i don't want to give it on here!
Someonewhocanhel pyou

Franklin, NC

#19 May 20, 2013
concerned boyfriend wrote:
<quoted text>
I have information but i don't want to give it on here!
If you are on facbook, there is a group of people who can possibly offer some insight to help you. Being that this is an extremely public place I am unsure if you are willing to post your name or way to find you on fb. I know of a lady who has a public page on fb that you can request to be a part of the page and after wards you can private message etc.. even if only to get the help you need.

I might have the spelling wrong but I think you maybe can find her is something called apple recipe swap? or flying something? it is a page about cooking and assorted other things. I hope it helps point you in a good direction
concerned boyfriend

Kennesaw, GA

#20 May 21, 2013
all this seems crazy, im just gonna do what i can and I am hoping and praying that she will be okay. She is a strong person and if it is not a good situation I am confident that she will get herself out of it. I know she just doesn't need some more BS and disappointment in her life. Enough is enough! Thank you! for the info.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marietta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ga. debates Confederate carving set in stone an... 37 min rebel111 65
We Offer Sanctuary for Undocumented Immigrants 8 hr Tighty whitey 4
Why are Sexy Rich White women, leaving White M... (Jan '12) 8 hr chocolate stick 518
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 10 hr Samson 20,104
Baby body parts for sale 11 hr Order up 17
News Buckhead Carjacking Suspect Arrested Following ... 16 hr Joseph p 2
Why do white people HATE Barack Obama??? (Jun '10) 17 hr Go Blue Forever 1,252
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marietta Mortgages