Marianna High Principal

Posted in the Marianna Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Quachita

Tallahassee, FL

#1 Jun 3, 2009
After reading some of these blogs, and the Floridan reporting Miller is having a changing of the guard(expected) at some area schools, one has to wonder WHY is randy ward being removed and replaced with a little known educator/administrator? Marianna has some serious morale and consistency issues no doubt. The students do not have to love a principal but most should respect him/her. So another question is why not place a proven leader such as Lawrence Pender in the position and get things improved at the county's largest high school? Of course, he may not want the headache....
Who

Crestview, FL

#2 Jun 3, 2009
Lawrence Pender? Are you kidding me? Pender can't even manage a school the size of Sneads High, much less one as large as Marianna High!
Oh My

Crestview, FL

#3 Jun 3, 2009
He is a great administrator, but who would they replace him with? There s are not enough talented folks to go around. Why fore sake Sneads just to try to fix Marianna?
fed up

Chipley, FL

#4 Jun 4, 2009
Yes, put Little Ceasar at Marianna, it's what he's wanted all along.
Oh My

Crestview, FL

#5 Jun 4, 2009
But my child says they already serve pizza everyday!

(JOKING, JOKING, JOKING!)
just asking

Caryville, FL

#6 Jun 5, 2009
Are there enough secretaries at MHS to get Pender's lunch and feed him everyday? Is there an in-house massage therapist to rub his back?
Madame Butterfly

Bonifay, FL

#7 Jun 6, 2009
just asking wrote:
Are there enough secretaries at MHS to get Pender's lunch and feed him everyday? Is there an in-house massage therapist to rub his back?
His name is spelled Laurence, not Lawrence, and he works harder than anybody I known. He spends a majority of the days observing in teachers'classrooms or walking around the hallways of the school to make sure teachers teach and students learn. He treats the students and faculty like they are a member of his family, and that's why everyone loves him. He's for real (not a phony)and is proud to be a principal because he has an infinite number of ways to improve academics, morale, and pride. I wish every school could have a principal like him. Parents and students only get upset with him when he doesn't give in to their demands. I'm proud that he sticks to his "guns" and always does what is right for the students. Furthermore, I hope he runs for superintendent one day. He'll make a great one.
Also, MHS principal was not replaced with someone who lacks experience. She has been a teacher, principal, and superintendent. Her resume speaks for itself.
Quachita

Tallahassee, FL

#8 Jun 18, 2009
Well hopefully the new principal will have a positive effect on the campus and community as Pender and others have done. I think Ward was in over his head and had to many favorites. Both with staff and students. At least she had the forthought to try consolidation in Calhoun Co. It costs her the Sup position but at least she had the best interests of the students and county at heart. Can't ask for much more.
Calhoun resident

Tallahassee, FL

#9 Jun 22, 2009
She didn't have the best interest of students in her heart.

Her husband is something to do with the St. Joe Company and the land where the new school was going to sit was purchased RIGHT BEFORE THE CONSLIDATION MOVEMENT BEGAN by a big campaign supporter of her for less than $3,000 an acre from some old man that didn't know any better (check the records on Calhoun's Property Appraiser website.)

Coincidentally, land that BORDERS this new property was owned by the St. Joe Company and they were going to donate a big portion of what the school board would need to finish the new high school.

Further, the land was 10 miles outside of Blountstown and over 15 miles from Altha. Why would you build the biggest school and only high school in the county in the middle of nowhere, miles apart from the only two population centers of the county.

There was controversy and suspicion surrounding that whole movement and she got voted out because people didn't trust her.
Calhoun resident

Tallahassee, FL

#10 Jun 22, 2009
Quachita wrote:
Well hopefully the new principal will have a positive effect on the campus and community as Pender and others have done. I think Ward was in over his head and had to many favorites. Both with staff and students. At least she had the forthought to try consolidation in Calhoun Co. It costs her the Sup position but at least she had the best interests of the students and county at heart. Can't ask for much more.
I can also tell you if you think Ward played favorites with staff and students, sit back and watch.
facts are wrong

Argyle, FL

#11 Jun 22, 2009
just asking wrote:
Pender at MHS... i though he was in sneads??? I didnt see his change in the paper???

MHS

Tallahassee, FL

#12 Jun 23, 2009
Mr. Pender is at Sneads High; Mrs. Neves is now at Marianna High.
Gator 10

Miramar Beach, FL

#13 Jun 24, 2009
It would be nice if Pender was put in Marianna, or Iraq. Sneads people is sick of him and his lies. Sneads people would love to have coach Tanner as principal, he was good for the school and the kids.
Jaq

Miramar Beach, FL

#14 Jun 24, 2009
Correction to Gator 10. You are not a spokesperson for all Sneads people because not all are sick of Pender and the majority certainly would stroke if someone like Tanner were a principal. Are you kidding me? That is almost like the assistant principal that was in Sneads several years ago that was not even qualified to teach much less qualified to be an assistant principal. However, he was given a promotion and sent to the county office with no qualifications. Tanner would be probably be more qualified than him if all the proof were on the table. How sad is that????? At least Pender is legal!!!!
Gator 10

Miramar Beach, FL

#15 Jun 25, 2009
Jaq, I was refering to the majority of people in Sneads and Grandridge. Sorry for the misunderstanding speaking for everyone. Tanner would be better than Pender ( the horse riding, lie telling,legend in his own mind, owner of Greenwood,chick magnet,non atheletic, shrimp boat captain, puke ). Just a few words that come to mind. By the way he has his own armed gaurd because he is so important. That would be Mr.Green Bean a 63 pound Deputy Sheriff :)
Aint It Funny

Freeport, FL

#16 Jun 25, 2009
Mr. Ward, you are finally off the hot seat. Congratulations, it is now somebody elses turn. Sit back and laugh cause you have earned it. Ain't it funny how there is always someone to complain about the leadership in Jackson county. Then when there is a change, people are still unhappy. Go figure! Like my grandma always told me, be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.
Jaq

Miramar Beach, FL

#17 Jun 26, 2009
I agree 100% with "Aint It Funny". You will never ever satisfy everyone. Sounds to me as though Gator 10 is jealous of Pender with the particular name calling. Not one of those opinionated sterotype names has one thing to do with anything at the school. Did you notice that??? Not one of those things,(even if they were true) stamps him as a bad principal. Oh and by the way...you think Tanner is responsible enough to be a principal? WOW!!!!!
Pender Person

United States

#18 Jun 27, 2009
Yes, we all know that Lawrence is all of those things suggested. He does lie, and he is a legend in his own mind. However, like another blogger said, none of those things have anything to do with his ability to run a school. He is an awesome principal and maybe it's because he can BS with the best. The fact that he tells people what they want to hear is a good thing. It's called politics. It is a necessary evil that goes with the game. MHS is a career-ender for principals. He should be glad he didn't get the opportunity to perform his magic there.
Jaq

Miramar Beach, FL

#19 Jun 27, 2009
MHS is a career ender for many, not just principals. Until all is fair in love and war at that school, nothing will ever change requardless of who is in charge. Mary Sue will not overcome the politics of that school or town just as she couldn't as the Superintendant in Calhoun County. Those parents whose children get away with just shy of murder are probably sucking up right now. Especially those who work at the school board. Watch closely!!!!
disappointed

Chattahoochee, FL

#20 Jun 29, 2009
well, the facts are that Pender doesn't care what students think or feel...he is only worried about the FCAT scores. First of all, he moved the band to the South end of the football field BEHIND the goal (where the trombone player was hit with the extra point ball). this really upset the band members and parents and statements such as "we are red headed step children" were made by these poor children. Another stupid philosphy of his is to teach to the FCAT test and he rationalizes this as the same method when Lawyers take the Bar or when doctors take their boards...um, it could be looked at that way IF high school students had already passed 4 years of good enriching classes (similar to undergraduate classes). Maybe Pender doesn't realize that you don't go straight from your college application to taking the boards to performing surgery. There are vital skills that are being missed by our children and anyone will agree that if you teach a child enough information and develop great learning strategies, the FCAT is a breeze. Im just disappointed he wasn't moved to another school...believe me there are plenty of people who like him and he does have some good ideas. However, strip those away and most of it is a way for him to shine. Maybe we should all start a petition to move him and deliver it to Mr. Miller??? Then we would have the facts: exactly how many people want him to stay versus leave. Personally, his morals are in question...isn't he married and isn't his secretary married? hmmmm...oh well, lets continue to praise Mr. Politician (as he was previously praised by another blogger for being a good liar). I guess if you look hard enough you can find good in anyone. Go Sneads....a C school! Penders great methods abound!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marianna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"SOLICIATION FOR MURDER" Complaint against Glen... (Jul '10) Tue Kevin Earl Wood 54
Confederate Flag Jul 27 Abe 7
Deputy shoots man in Grrenwood Domestice Violen... (Feb '10) Jul 25 Welch daughter 3
Poo Stain Jul 24 Duh 3
principals being moved in county, wider about L... Jul 23 MOM 18
Debate: Marijuana - Panama City, FL (Aug '10) Jul 22 stumpknocker votes 192
News Hells Angels To Start First Chapter In Florida (Jun '08) Jul 21 Anonymous 253
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marianna Mortgages