anonymous

Wimauma, FL

#81 Feb 20, 2013
If Greta S. C. had spent her time taking care of her family and job at MMS--she would not have time to call CSF and reporting something her son heard others say. Why didn't she call the principle or the superintendent? You have placed a black mark against MHS -- your almata-- forever, Mrs. Charles.
ashamed

Marianna, FL

#82 Feb 20, 2013
anonymous wrote:
If Greta S. C. had spent her time taking care of her family and job at MMS--she would not have time to call CSF and reporting something her son heard others say. Why didn't she call the principle or the superintendent? You have placed a black mark against MHS -- your almata-- forever, Mrs. Charles.
She did this intentionally, it was no accident, or mis spoken words, she wanted to destroy Mr. Summers and she did. In the worst way possible. SHE TOOK HIS LIFE! by this I mean his life was his students, his knowledge, his days spent teaching, his nights spent preparing for his students, he was happy in his lifes work in education, and she, the cheerleader queen, living in her has been world, couldn't leave Mr. Summers or Mr. Shelton alone, and so MHS lost 2 outstanding people so far, the body count is 2.
Think about ur words

Argyle, FL

#83 Feb 20, 2013
anonymous wrote:
And you, Anonymous, are doing the very thing you accuse Greta of... You are ASSUMING Greta reported this from what athers have said!!! Why didn't you call Greta before pointing fingers?? No one is brave enough or have the decency to simply look her in the face and ask her... that would be too mature for the feeble, narrow minded hypocrites. You are NO better!
Laugh Out Loud

Argyle, FL

#84 Feb 20, 2013
Think about ur words wrote:
<quoted text>
And you, Anonymous, are doing the very thing you accuse Greta of... You are ASSUMING Greta reported this from what athers have said!!! Why didn't you call Greta before pointing fingers?? No one is brave enough or have the decency to simply look her in the face and ask her... that would be too mature for the feeble, narrow minded hypocrites. You are NO better!
DCF reports are not anonymous. The caller is confirmed. If Russ told him she was putting him in the pool, she too has blood on her hands, besides being a complete and utter fool. Marianna High is in the worst shape it has ever been in.
Mary Sue Neves was a supporter of Mr. Summers. How could he have changed so drastically as to not be rehired in such a short period of time?? No, Russ was carrying out a vendetta as well. Perhaps Mr. Summers was so bold as to give one of her children a well deserved bad grade when they were in school.

Marianna, be ashamed, be ashamed. I hope Summers's family sues the school board into bankruptcy.
Strong Accusations

Argyle, FL

#85 Feb 20, 2013
ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>
She did this intentionally, it was no accident, or mis spoken words, she wanted to destroy Mr. Summers and she did. In the worst way possible. SHE TOOK HIS LIFE! by this I mean his life was his students, his knowledge, his days spent teaching, his nights spent preparing for his students, he was happy in his lifes work in education, and she, the cheerleader queen, living in her has been world, couldn't leave Mr. Summers or Mr. Shelton alone, and so MHS lost 2 outstanding people so far, the body count is 2.
There are SO many false statements in your ridiculous post... First, you obviously don't know Mrs. Charles. Second, why in the world would she want to destroy Mr. Summers?? What factual evidence do you have to make such an accusation?? Third, I didn't realize sponsoring an extra curricular activity for your students made you 'living in your has been world'... So, you're saying every coach & sponsor is trying to relive their 'glory days'??? You are sadly mistaken. You need a huge dose of reality. You have NO idea the time and dedication it takes... Kind of like the dedication of the beloved Mr. Summers. He was not the only dedicated teacher!!! And, lastly I'm sure if you would take the time to go ASK Coach Shelton how he feels about Greta he will tell you that she wrote letters to JCSB in efforts to retain him. Maybe YOU need to be the person re-evaluating the source of your information!!!
Totally Neutral

Howey In The Hills, FL

#86 Feb 20, 2013
You people need to get a life! No one knows who made that call. A report made to DCF is completely confidential. It is not a local call. It goes through the abuse registry. I repeat NO ONE knows. I don't know how Greta got caught up in this witch hunt, but believe me when I say that the reporters are confidential!! It is state law. You can speculate all you want, but don't claim to know for a fact.
Laugh Out Loud

Argyle, FL

#87 Feb 20, 2013
Strong Accusations wrote:
<quoted text>
There are SO many false statements in your ridiculous post... First, you obviously don't know Mrs. Charles. Second, why in the world would she want to destroy Mr. Summers?? What factual evidence do you have to make such an accusation?? Third, I didn't realize sponsoring an extra curricular activity for your students made you 'living in your has been world'... So, you're saying every coach & sponsor is trying to relive their 'glory days'??? You are sadly mistaken. You need a huge dose of reality. You have NO idea the time and dedication it takes... Kind of like the dedication of the beloved Mr. Summers. He was not the only dedicated teacher!!! And, lastly I'm sure if you would take the time to go ASK Coach Shelton how he feels about Greta he will tell you that she wrote letters to JCSB in efforts to retain him. Maybe YOU need to be the person re-evaluating the source of your information!!!
Hush, Greta, Hush. None of us have any use for you. We didn't before, now we are just sickened by you.
Beyond pathetic

Argyle, FL

#88 Feb 20, 2013
Laugh Out Loud wrote:
<quoted text>
Hush, Greta, Hush. None of us have any use for you. We didn't before, now we are just sickened by you.
This is not Greta... But, I did notice you didn't take the time to think about nor answer any of the points referenced in the previous post. You keep pedaling your pathetic little life boat accusing and assuming trying to defame & discredit decent people. We all know misery loves company. Thank God you didn't & don't have a use for Greta so we won't have to worry about slumming with you and your shallow, insecure, desperate conspiracy theories...
Laugh Out Loud

Argyle, FL

#89 Feb 20, 2013
You have not been able to make anonymous reports to the child abuse registry for years. Check your facts. That is why so many fewer calls are made. I have personally been threatened and my life and work has been impacted, it is no theory.
FYI

Argyle, FL

#90 Feb 20, 2013
It was reported by a teacher. Teachers are mandated reporters. The general public can report anonymously, teachers cannot. Who the call came from is a matter of public record now.

From the federal child abuse site:
Must I give my name?
The law requires that mandated reporters identify themselves and where they can be reached. If clarification on the situation or additional information is needed, the caseworker will contact you.
jump to conclusions

Argyle, FL

#91 Feb 20, 2013
No more no more wrote:
<quoted text>
This would not be the first time she blew something up to this level. This would only be the first time she did it to someone so fragile, who didn't feel like he had a support system, though clearly, he did. Many of us would have been there for him in the days and weeks to come. He was a private man, he would not have shared his feelings.
My friend's life was put in the same jeopardy by the same accuser. Thank God she had a support system. She had many dark days, and came very close to the same end. Had she been as isolated as Mr. Summers, well, I don't want to go there.
This behavior must stop. Please understand what you are doing when you level serious charges at someone.
John Summers taught school for almost 30 years in Jackson County and we know of no one he hurt, we know of multitudes that loved and respected him. I truly feel he will be vindicated of all charges.
Please let his heartbreaking death stand for the end of this mean and vindictive behavior. Let's honor him in that way. His accuser needs mental health treatment.
I love you. Unbelievably, my Internet was down last night, and I thought I lost my phone last night, but I found it today. I saw this post for the first time tonight. I would have called you to tell you how much I appreciate what you've said, but I knew I couldn't do it without crying. You are one in a million. John and I are very lucky to have known you.
Upset

Tampa, FL

#92 Feb 20, 2013
Heard this from someone who knows for a fact....Mr. Summers finished his lesson plans for the year and left specific instructions for the yearbook kids so it could still be submitted on time.

I don't think any other action can illustrate a more caring, dedicated teacher than that unselfish act. In his final hours of what you know were pure hell, he still cared so deeply about Marianna High and those kids that he made sure this could still be done.

I still have just felt so torn inside. All I can think of is those final hours and what anguish he must have been feeling. It is so sad, just so so sad, that an impeccable career like his, one of 29 dedicated years, came to such a tragic end.

I don't know if all the rumors of a false incident being reported and the rumor that Mrs. Russ went ahead and told him she wasn't rehiring him next year are true or not, but it's true Marianna has lost one of the finest educators to have ever walked the halls at MHS.

And if those rumors are in fact true, I wonder how the accused people are feeling today knowing those allegations and actions led to his decision to end his life.

There are so many rumors and so many questions that everyone has, but sadly, the question of why would anyone report such a serious allegation against someone that was found to be unfounded.......well, those people deserve to be punished.

And whether they get punished on Earth or when they themselves die, they will get theirs in the end.
truthfully

Argyle, FL

#93 Feb 20, 2013
ashamed wrote:
<quoted text>
The count is actually 3.
Saddened

Niceville, FL

#94 Feb 21, 2013
As a parent, your main focus is your child! I know that if my child said that a teacher, a preacher, a whoever acted or said something inappropriate to them....I would call DCF!
The children who felt that something did or did not happen with Mr. Summers told a teacher and it is her responsibility as an educator to report it!

Now don't get me wrong....I liked John Summers a lot. I felt he was a wonderful teacher. He was dedicated to MHS and to the students. He was the first to arrive and usually the last to leave when my children were there. I hate that he felt that he was destroyed as an educator and had no choice but to kill himself because of these allegations.

But I also hate that everyone seems to blame one woman. I mean she is a mother first.....protecting her child is most important to her. I do not blame her one bit IF she is the person who reported it. But you also need to remember that their were others that were questioned about claims that were made against him. Maybe one of those mothers went to a teacher or had their child go to a teacher and tell.

Next, it is my understanding that JS was told to take a couple of days off to let things calm down. He was not fired. He was not suspended. And I find it hard to believe that Ms. Russ would say she would not renew his contract. The man had tenure! And if after DCF investigation was closed (they have 60 days) and he was proven innocent or if there was no evidence to support the claim and it was dropped, and he was doing his job she would not have merit to fire him and he would have had a lawsuit himself against JCSB. Besides she doesn't even know if she will have a job as an administrator herself next year.

Next no one will ever know the truth. No one will know who reported it. No one will know if he was innocent or guilty. No one will have the opportunity to stand up for him and defend him because he was depressed and felt the only answer he had was to take his life. Once his death is ruled suicide the case will be closed!

Please remember that this man must have been experiencing a great deal of depression. There are many more here in our county that suffer from the same disease. If you know someone who is dealing with depression....talk to them, help them, or become their friend. It doesn't matter if they are different than you. Kind words could save their life!
Janice

Wimauma, FL

#95 Feb 21, 2013
Saddened wrote:
As a parent, your main focus is your child! I know that if my child said that a teacher, a preacher, a whoever acted or said something inappropriate to them....I would call DCF!
The children who felt that something did or did not happen with Mr. Summers told a teacher and it is her responsibility as an educator to report it!
Now don't get me wrong....I liked John Summers a lot. I felt he was a wonderful teacher. He was dedicated to MHS and to the students. He was the first to arrive and usually the last to leave when my children were there. I hate that he felt that he was destroyed as an educator and had no choice but to kill himself because of these allegations.
But I also hate that everyone seems to blame one woman. I mean she is a mother first.....protecting her child is most important to her. I do not blame her one bit IF she is the person who reported it. But you also need to remember that their were others that were questioned about claims that were made against him. Maybe one of those mothers went to a teacher or had their child go to a teacher and tell.
Next, it is my understanding that JS was told to take a couple of days off to let things calm down. He was not fired. He was not suspended. And I find it hard to believe that Ms. Russ would say she would not renew his contract. The man had tenure! And if after DCF investigation was closed (they have 60 days) and he was proven innocent or if there was no evidence to support the claim and it was dropped, and he was doing his job she would not have merit to fire him and he would have had a lawsuit himself against JCSB. Besides she doesn't even know if she will have a job as an administrator herself next year.
Next no one will ever know the truth. No one will know who reported it. No one will know if he was innocent or guilty. No one will have the opportunity to stand up for him and defend him because he was depressed and felt the only answer he had was to take his life. Once his death is ruled suicide the case will be closed!
Please remember that this man must have been experiencing a great deal of depression. There are many more here in our county that suffer from the same disease. If you know someone who is dealing with depression....talk to them, help them, or become their friend. It doesn't matter if they are different than you. Kind words could save their life!
My understanding is that he wasn't told he was being fired, there were no grounds for that. He was allegedly told he wasn't being recommended back to Marianna High. That means he would have been put in "the pool" and been placed somewhere else in the district.

A s far as Russ having a job next year, Benton campaigned on the issue of if you have retired and come back, he would not keep them because they are double dipping.

So I doubt Russ is letting any leave time accumulate.
Jsf

Marianna, FL

#96 Feb 21, 2013
What happened to going and discussing a problem directly with the teacher? Seems like making an anonymous call to DCF is a chickens&%t way to handle a problem. Anytime I ever talked to him he was open and forthcoming with his answers.
FYI

Argyle, FL

#97 Feb 21, 2013
Janice wrote:
<quoted text>
My understanding is that he wasn't told he was being fired, there were no grounds for that. He was allegedly told he wasn't being recommended back to Marianna High. That means he would have been put in "the pool" and been placed somewhere else in the district.
A s far as Russ having a job next year, Benton campaigned on the issue of if you have retired and come back, he would not keep them because they are double dipping.
So I doubt Russ is letting any leave time accumulate.
Jackson County administrators can put any teacher, no matter if they have "tenure" which is actually professional contract, in the "pool" for absolutely no reason what-so-ever. Basically, they can do it to a teacher doing a perfect job, if they just don't like that teacher. BAM. It is a ridiculous thing, but it is true. You don't have a job at that school anymore. You have a job in the county somewhere, but not at that school.

Tell me John Summers would not have taken his life if he was told he didn't have a job at Marianna High School next year and I will tell you your a fool.
And it was not the reporters child. The kid's parents didn't see it as anything to report. This whole issue sucks. They lynched him. Claude Neel circa 2012 - with a white guy. Modern day lynching, Summers would say history repeats.
FED UP

United States

#98 Feb 21, 2013
No more no more wrote:
<quoted text>
To answer your question, NO, I WOULD NEVER BE CONCERNED ABOUT MY CHILDREN IN THE PRESENCE OF JOHN SUMMERS AND SHE WAS BEING A VINDICTIVE YOU KNOW WHAT IF SHE DID THIS. AND, HONESTLY, I THINK HE WOULD GET A HELL OF KICK OUT OF US STANDING UP TO HER. HE KNEW WHO SHE WAS.
I'm sorry you're so ignorant you believe the crap you just said. You're wrong Mr. Summers would not want this. YOU DONT KNOW IF GRETA REPORTED HIM ANYWAYS. You don't know that facts about anything, frankly.
hmmm

Marianna, FL

#99 Feb 21, 2013
FED UP wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry you're so ignorant you believe the crap you just said. You're wrong Mr. Summers would not want this. YOU DONT KNOW IF GRETA REPORTED HIM ANYWAYS. You don't know that facts about anything, frankly.
Neither do you, obviously. What a useless rant.
potbelly

Cottondale, FL

#100 Feb 21, 2013
I commend the person that reported whatever incident ocurRed to bring this (crime) to light. Whether it was you or me who reported this, DID the right thing. A persons sexual orientation is their own business....but don't expect me or anyone else to agree with such behavior AT A SCHOOL.HE TOOK HIS OWN LIFE, THE LIFE THAT GOD GAVE HIM. THIS IS A SIN IN ITSELF.(NOT TO MENTION WHAT HE IS ACCUSED OF)EVERYONE IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.HE WAS HIS OWN JUDGE, JURY AND EXECUTIONER. IF HE WAS NOT GUILTY OF THE CHARGES..........HE WOULD STILL BE WITH YA'LL. PEACE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marianna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sneads florida 14 hr Agree 10
the final push for shredded dad Sun HARCORE DAD 1
Gary Beck Panamaed (Sep '15) May 18 PanamaedsTavern 4
John Floyd - Toni Sasser (Apr '15) May 17 Wiser 14
smoked seafood restaurant May 16 retired navy 3
News New, improved Hells Angels come to Florida Panh... (Jun '08) May 16 slice 105
Moving to Panama City May 13 UrIgnorance 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marianna Mortgages