Freeport, FL

#41 Feb 18, 2013
Marianna never ceases to amaze me. Wow.
jump to conclusions

Argyle, FL

#42 Feb 18, 2013
Very sad wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an awful and cruel thing to say about anyone. And, no, i don't really care how you feel. anyone that could have such a cold & callused comment doesn't seem to have feelings... WOW... You really need to put your life into perspective.
The poster didn't say that they would feel glad/sad/bad/etc.... didn't say - just said you didn't want to know. And btw, don't mean to stir the pot, but you did ask how someone would feel about that although you claim that you don't really care how that poster felt
hawkeye

Bristol, FL

#43 Feb 18, 2013
so its all gretas fault?
confused

Panama City, FL

#44 Feb 18, 2013
I'm sorry for even bringing this up. God, some people. I wanted to put blame on somebody, because I could never imagine somebody like him taking his own life and I was emotional and shocked. But I think this is bringing the ugliness out in everybody and it needs to stop. A man has died. Let's be human beings and let him rest in peace.

Whether you like him or not, he affected many people's lives for the better. So let's let him rest and not gossip on a public site. Do you realize this is the first result if you search for him? Imagine his family and friends finding it. I really am sorry for even asking. I just feel really sick and ashamed for all of us. I hope you guys find it in yourselves to leave this alone, too.
AWC

Tampa, FL

#45 Feb 18, 2013
confused wrote:
I'm sorry for even bringing this up. God, some people. I wanted to put blame on somebody, because I could never imagine somebody like him taking his own life and I was emotional and shocked. But I think this is bringing the ugliness out in everybody and it needs to stop. A man has died. Let's be human beings and let him rest in peace.
Whether you like him or not, he affected many people's lives for the better. So let's let him rest and not gossip on a public site. Do you realize this is the first result if you search for him? Imagine his family and friends finding it. I really am sorry for even asking. I just feel really sick and ashamed for all of us. I hope you guys find it in yourselves to leave this alone, too.
You're the f*cling moron who started it, so shut your damn mouth. What did you think these backstabbing gossip hounds in Marianna would do?

Same ones singing his praises with their names attached on Facebook are some of same on here bashing him.

Apparently he didn't teach you anything about common sense.
No more no more

Argyle, FL

#46 Feb 18, 2013
AWC wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the f*cling moron who started it, so shut your damn mouth. What did you think these backstabbing gossip hounds in Marianna would do?
Same ones singing his praises with their names attached on Facebook are some of same on here bashing him.
I think the vast majority of comments on this site about Mr. Summers have been positive, as they should be. He was one hell of a teacher, and they will have to go a long way to ever convince me he hurt anyone, especially a student. I feel confident the truth will find a way to the surface, even in this town.
confused

Panama City, FL

#47 Feb 18, 2013
AWC wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I know. I said so in my own comment. And I was trying to have the decency to end it. I didn't know it would become what it has. I'm sorry, I was never in any gossip loops in Marianna. I went to school and I went home and then I moved away for college. That was my life in Marianna. It was my mistake. I just wanted to know what happened to my favorite teacher. Being rude to each other isn't going to solve anything.
idea

United States

#48 Feb 18, 2013
So... let's start with posting some positive thoughts about Mr. Summers. I went to MHS 25 years ago (man, I am old), but even after all those years... when I think of high school teachers, Mr. John Summers is definitely my favorite!
Yes

Marianna, FL

#49 Feb 19, 2013
Insensitive people -BM wrote:
Could anyone just not talk badly about the man for 1 day and let the people who need to mourn, mourn. It's a precious life lost. R.I.P. John Summers
Looks like almost all of the posts are supportive of him.
Agreed

Tampa, FL

#50 Feb 19, 2013
idea wrote:
So... let's start with posting some positive thoughts about Mr. Summers. I went to MHS 25 years ago (man, I am old), but even after all those years... when I think of high school teachers, Mr. John Summers is definitely my favorite!
I don't care what people try to say about him. I had his class nearly 20 years ago and he remains one of my favorite teachers ever. He had a way to make history seem interesting to me. I loved his class and I truly loved him. He was respectful, challenging, interesting, and was an example people would think of when they think "great teacher." His life was Marianna High School. He loved that school and he loved the kids. I am so saddened over his death.

Ya know, after all the posts here and what I've seen on Facebook, it is obvious Mr. Summers impacted so many of us.

Now I wish we had all told him when he was alive how much we all.appreciated him and loved his classes and life lessons. This sad death is a reminder to let those know who have positively impacted us know that.

I bet Mr. Summers never knew how much he was obviously loved by this community. He didn't ask for it either. He made it happen because of the love and dedication he showed every day in his classroom.

And nothing will ever change my opinion of that.

RIP Mr. Summers. I hope somehow you are able to see the love people have for you and that it will bring you peace.

Marianna High has lost one of the best teachers to ever have walked its hallways.
Ghost of Banquo

Dothan, AL

#51 Feb 19, 2013
Really wrote:
Since you know so much, why would she be mad??
I didn't even go to Marianna and I had heard about him and his peculiar ways.
Quack quack
And we all know who you are...
dustinturner2011

Marianna, FL

#52 Feb 19, 2013
No more no more wrote:
<quoted text>
Your theory is bogus. If these allegations were true it would have come out long ago.We would have detected the quacking of the duck. Known the man for over thirty years. Was he odd, yes, I can go with odd duck. Did he ever hurt anyone, no. Are you saying he might have been gay? Well, maybe. Is that worth taking his job and his life for? No. I've known him for thirty years and could not say one way or another about his sexuality. I can say he was one of the most wonderful, dedicated teachers I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. His class was amazing.
does his sexual orientation really matter? No it does not. And the person who started these alligations is a murder!! I hope the kid gets stripped of all his sports activities. Loses any scholarship he may have. An innocent man's life was taken by some punk ass prick who had nothing better to do. This man was a saint to his staff and his students.
BLESSED

Marianna, FL

#53 Feb 19, 2013
My children are very blessed and lucky to have had most of this year with Mr. Summers in Honors History and Latin. I wish they could have had the whole year. As a parent, let me tell you what Mr. Summers was and will always be in the majority of his students and their families hearts and minds He will always be a special, caring teacher, with his students best interests and futures at heart. A Man that was well traveled, with class and a deep interest and knowledge of the subjects he taught and of life. Who brought much to the table of learning for his students, his peers for years and years. A teacher of history, past present and future. A Teacher who encouraged his students to ask, to seek answers, to study, to look at the history of their parents, grandparents times and lives and to live it, learn it, understand it. Many of the most animated conversations this past year at our table were of Mr. Summers history class and what my kids were learning about the past and how it relates to this present we live in and what the future could hold. MR. SUMMERS: Thank you, for enriching my sons lives with all your knowledge, your ability to think outside the box, for never being too busy or too scheduled or selfish to talk with them, teach them, coach them. Mr. Summers I can only hope you know how much we love you, appreciate you and all you have done, and how much I wish to Dear God, you had reached out and known that so many people would have been in place for you in this time. MR. SUMMERS, YOU MATTERED AND WILL ALWAYS MATTER SO MUCH TO THIS WORLD, THIS SCHOOL, TO US. THANK YOU IS NOT ENOUGH FOR ALL YOU HAVE GIVEN OUR CHILDREN, YOUR STUDENTS

Since: Nov 12

Tampa, FL

#54 Feb 19, 2013
The kids say that kids would be cruel and make false accusations years ago just to be mean to him. If u ask me it's just another type of bullying. How cruel. He was a kindhearted soul we will all miss. If a parent did this spitefully, God help them!
Sad parent

Marianna, FL

#55 Feb 19, 2013
BLESSED wrote:
My children are very blessed and lucky to have had most of this year with Mr. Summers in Honors History and Latin. I wish they could have had the whole year. As a parent, let me tell you what Mr. Summers was and will always be in the majority of his students and their families hearts and minds He will always be a special, caring teacher, with his students best interests and futures at heart. A Man that was well traveled, with class and a deep interest and knowledge of the subjects he taught and of life. Who brought much to the table of learning for his students, his peers for years and years. A teacher of history, past present and future. A Teacher who encouraged his students to ask, to seek answers, to study, to look at the history of their parents, grandparents times and lives and to live it, learn it, understand it. Many of the most animated conversations this past year at our table were of Mr. Summers history class and what my kids were learning about the past and how it relates to this present we live in and what the future could hold. MR. SUMMERS: Thank you, for enriching my sons lives with all your knowledge, your ability to think outside the box, for never being too busy or too scheduled or selfish to talk with them, teach them, coach them. Mr. Summers I can only hope you know how much we love you, appreciate you and all you have done, and how much I wish to Dear God, you had reached out and known that so many people would have been in place for you in this time. MR. SUMMERS, YOU MATTERED AND WILL ALWAYS MATTER SO MUCH TO THIS WORLD, THIS SCHOOL, TO US. THANK YOU IS NOT ENOUGH FOR ALL YOU HAVE GIVEN OUR CHILDREN, YOUR STUDENTS
This post made me cry because it is so true and is exactly how I feel about him.
yes

Tampa, FL

#56 Feb 19, 2013
BLESSED wrote:
I am sitting here crying my eyes out after reading this. Our kids felt the same way about Mr. Summers. They absolutely LOVED his classes. My kids have talked more about him and what they were learning than any teacher ever before. He was such a unique man who absolutely inspired and challenged my kids to learn and to enjoy school.

I don't know if he was gay or not and that had absolutely nothing to do with anything, so people need to shut up about his PERSONAL life.

What he was, was a good, decent man who loved teaching and loved kids, and loved Marianna High School. He was absolutely one of the most unselfish souls I've ever known of, and I'm so glad my kids have had a chance to learn from him, to know him, and yes, to love him. When we heard the news of his passing, we were devastated and still are.

Noone will ever replace Mr. Summers. I, too, just wished he would have known how much he was truly loved and world have reached out for help. My heart just breaks when I think of the loneliness and desperation he must have felt during the last hours of his life.

And even sadder, is that before he ended it, he did his lesson plans for the rest of the year so a sub could come in and teach it like it was supposed to be taught and to make sure everything was covered

Mr. Summers, that is the love of an absolutely wonderful teacher. I cannot imagine your sadness as you wrote those plans knowing you would not be there anymore to teach it.

God bless you John Summers. You have made impacts on lives that you just never knew.

May you rest in peace. You were, and are, loved by this family, its school, and the community.

And to whomever started those unfounded rumors, I hope the wrath of the devil falls upon your lap. Whether you want to admit it or not, you have his blood on your hands.
idea

Freeport, FL

#57 Feb 19, 2013
First... Let me say that I seriously doubt that Greta would go to the authorities with accusations just because a child didn't get to play ball or made a bad grade. On the other hand, if she had knowledge that the welfare of a child was endangered, I hope she would go the the authorities. BUT, even if she did make up a complete lie just for the heck of it, she would not be to blame for his death. If someone takes their life, there has to be many other factors involved.
Jsf

Marianna, FL

#58 Feb 19, 2013
idea wrote:
First... Let me say that I seriously doubt that Greta would go to the authorities with accusations just because a child didn't get to play ball or made a bad grade. On the other hand, if she had knowledge that the welfare of a child was endangered, I hope she would go the the authorities. BUT, even if she did make up a complete lie just for the heck of it, she would not be to blame for his death. If someone takes their life, there has to be many other factors involved.
Whatever!
Not Exactly

Tampa, FL

#59 Feb 19, 2013
idea wrote:
Making up a lie is one thing if you say he stole money from the school or that he was stealing the office supplies.

However, accusing someone of inappropriate conduct with a student is a horrible lie that could destroy a reputation and career, and if someone started rumors that serious, and it's not true, then they have a hand in the death.
Ghost of Banquo

Dothan, AL

#60 Feb 19, 2013
idea wrote:
It's called empathy. Imagine being accused of something this heinous. I've known several very sane teachers over the years who were falsely accused of crap like this, and they BARELY survived emotionally and physically. By the way, all of them were cleared, which was never got gossiped about... only the allegations.

The article in the paper sounded to me like the authorities were coming up with "zip" regarding anything criminal against Mr. Summers.

Until you've walked a mile in his shoes, no one wants to hear about you refer to as "other factors involved."

We'll probably never know who actually reported this or more importantly who instigated the whole thing and got someone else to report it (which is probably more like it). Anyway, they all have blood on their hands. If we every find out who is responsible, maybe they will be prosecuted under Florida's anti-bullying law which covers stuff like this for both students and school employees.

I will always love, admire, and respect Mr. Summers no matter what. He was a good friend, an awesome inspiration, and an absolutely brilliant teacher.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marianna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unsolved Murders in Jackson County (Jun '11) Jun 22 BetterJCoGirl 94
News New Noise Ordinance Passed For Panama City Beach (Jan '11) Jun 21 dkl2591-yahoo-com 3
Jackson County Floridan Jun 19 None 1
98 Pawn Shop Jun 18 Forest 2
The MOB Banksters! (Jul '13) Jun 17 lavon affair 11
Trump Budget Requires Work for Food Stamps Jun 15 ThomasA 21
JACQUELINE JUSTICE- Social Security Office Mari... Jun 15 BYE FELICIA 17

Marianna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marianna Mortgages