Old businesses in Marianna

Old businesses in Marianna

Posted in the Marianna Forum

Slowdancer

Monette, AR

#1 Dec 26, 2009
How many people remember the Owl Lunch Room, Oglesby's Grocery, the Mule Barn, Williams Blacksmith Shop, the Blue Haven and the Malco picture shows, the downtown pool hall, Wimpy's Grocery, and Daggett's Drug Store in old Marianna? Fill me in if I left anyone out.
JMFS

AOL

#2 Dec 26, 2009
I was born in 1951 and can remember Owl Lunch Room, both picture shows, the pool hall, and Daggett's. and Turner's drugstore, Harrington's Drugstore. I remember Vail's ,Williams', Johnson's , Kroger, Kroler, Jaco's Cloverfarm, Shurld's, Galloway's, Mitchell's, Max Lewis', Cotheren's, Hong's, many Fongs', U-Save grocers. I remember Charlie Taylor's Slaughter house and the old salebarn. I remember the Taystee Freeze, Dairy Queen , Mug and Cone, Porcupine Den and the Blue Goose. I remember Dooley's, Strausburg's, Cheap Joe's, Panick's, Kinder and Clay, Leon Lewis'm Ronnie's, and West Brother's. I remember Scott's, Sterling, and Hill's % and Dimes. I remember the Hotel Marianna, Barker's, the Sands, and Julian's Courts to stay overnight. I remember Corky's Joe Smith's, Farmers Cafe, Barker's and Barnett's restruants. I remember Flower's, Brown's, and Kennedy Funeral Homes. I rember Whitten's ESSO, Dorsett's Texaco, John Ed and Billy's Shell, Cate's Mobel, The Dx station , and various other gas stations. I remember Duke's Grocery too. We had Dr.Mac, Dr Hays, Dr Dozier, Dr Carlton, and Dr Fields. We had Borden, Sealtesr, Dean's, Midwest, and Foremost milkmen . Who could forget Lawyer Bill Ward or all the Dagett lawyers.
JMFS

AOL

#3 Jan 10, 2010
Who were the most remembered teachers at T A Futrall ? I will never forget Mrs Berry, Mrs Bunch, Miss Eugenia and Mrs Jones.
wilton carrier

Overland Park, KS

#5 Oct 6, 2012
I worked at corkys......sold popcorn at the Imperial......
Thank you for the memories
wilton carrier

Overland Park, KS

#6 Oct 6, 2012
contact me at :

Languilleone@yahoo.com
zero

Cabot, AR

#7 Oct 8, 2012
There was also a 7-up bottling plant across the street from the Internatonal dealership and close to the KZOT radio station.
zero

Cabot, AR

#8 Oct 8, 2012
This is a good nostalgic post. Thanks for the memories.
wilton carrier

Overland Park, KS

#9 Oct 14, 2012
Slowdancer wrote:
How many people remember the Owl Lunch Room, Oglesby's Grocery, the Mule Barn, Williams Blacksmith Shop, the Blue Haven and the Malco picture shows, the downtown pool hall, Wimpy's Grocery, and Daggett's Drug Store in old Marianna? Fill me in if I left anyone out.
Yes, I do remember these things. I sold popcorn at the "show" for 10 cents a bag.... Worked at corkeys.
I am 78 years old and your post brought back memories...thank you,
Wilton Carrier
Jay Barker

Shawano, WI

#10 May 9, 2013
My family is from Mariana Arkansas.I like hearing about the general store hotel and the fire truck my uncle fount made.
zero

Cabot, AR

#11 May 9, 2013
JMFS wrote:
Who were the most remembered teachers at T A Futrall ? I will never forget Mrs Berry, Mrs Bunch, Miss Eugenia and Mrs Jones.
Mrs Bunch passed away on March 18.
Marianna Girl

Scottsville, KY

#12 May 13, 2013
This posts brings back memories

I want to hear more!
zero

Cabot, AR

#13 May 17, 2013
Marianna Girl wrote:
This posts brings back memories
I want to hear more!
What year did you graduate?
Marianna girl

Scottsville, KY

#14 May 17, 2013
1965. T.A Futrall
zero

Cabot, AR

#15 May 18, 2013
Marianna girl wrote:
1965. T.A Futrall
I graduated in 1967.
Tanya Scott

Clinton, AR

#16 Dec 8, 2013
My Grandfather was Ernest Hidges. He owned Wimpy's Grocery in Marianna. My Grandmother was Elizabeth Marie Harris Hodges, she was twin to Albert Boozer Hodges and she had 5 other siblings, I believe. If anyone has any information about my family, I would love to hear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marianna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 4 hr You Asked For It 30,904
Rob Guthery 6 hr a person 4
guy's being 18 or 19 dating 14 and 15 year old ... (Dec '13) 12 hr Joeeeee 159
Gabe (Sep '11) 12 hr GUEST 13
Christy King 15 hr shecrazy 6
The Mayor (Apr '13) 16 hr amused 7
need place to stay in marianna for my clinical ... Wed jrkellum 1
More from around the web

Marianna People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE