Next Last
Mark

Weslaco, TX

#1 Nov 3, 2011
Tell me about Lee Academy.
Just for FYI

United States

#2 Nov 3, 2011
It's like any other school that costs a fortune to get into. They constantly ask the kids to sell stuff to raise money for whatever they deem necessary. There is prejudice just like there is in public school only it isn't about color it's about who has what and who thinks they have more. I graduated from there and it was a miserable 4 years but at that time the public school was rioting and wasn't safe to go there. The teachers at that time were as bad as the students. Back then it was questionable if your diploma was even any good because of accredidation issues. Granted it's hard for kids to get and education in the public school system around here. If I had children I would move up to north central arkansas and put my children in one of those schools. The people up there have issues too but they seem to for the most part care about the children and their education. I hear Marvell's private school is pretty good but don't know that for a fact. People can say that was then and this is now but those grown ups are the children of yester year that I'm referring to, so you think their children have any better attitude, probably not.
What about athletics

Llano, TX

#3 Nov 5, 2011
What about Lee Academy athletics?
Just for FYI

Laird Hill, TX

#4 Nov 5, 2011
It used to be the same way, sisn't have to have a lot of talent just the right name. I don't have many good memories from my years there.
Just for FYI

Laird Hill, TX

#5 Nov 5, 2011
Sorry about my spelling my key board has a mind of its own.
I was saying that it wasn't about talent just about your last name and popularity.
number 21_ the bear

West Helena, AR

#6 Nov 6, 2011
you lil punks are to muh of sissys to play football

United States

#7 Nov 9, 2011
Who cares!
Observer

Jonesboro, AR

#8 Feb 17, 2013
Students have learned that all they have to do is whine to mama and daddy, and they get out of doing things. I can't really say that it is the students fault, but the parents and administration.

It is a common thought that private school offer more demanding academics than does public school; that is not the case at Lee Academy. I truly feel sorry for the students who graduate and are planning to go to college. They are in no way prepared for what is going to happen to them. Students will a student with no more rights than any other student in the class. They will not be called "honey" and "baby" by anyone in college.

The students are really the ones suffering for parents and administration not being demanding.

I have been in the school a couple of times. The office women are busy bodies. They are rude. There are always three or four in there at a time doing anything but work.

I am just glad that I have never heard that Lee Academy is a "college preparatory school.
Back Home

Little Rock, AR

#9 Feb 27, 2013
Funny just last weekend I had dinner with someone who graduated from Lee Academy in the early 90's. Guy graduated from Washington and Lee as did his entire family (also LA graduates). Last time I checked W&L's admission requirements were pretty stringint.

In fact, most of the people I know who went to LA who WANTED to go to college, not only were accepted, but did just fine once they got there.

And for what it's worth, I did NOT go to school there. I attended a preparatory school in Memphis and for all my parents' sacrifice I have done no better or worse than anyone my age from LA has done(at least those who put forth any kind of effort in life).

And one other consideration, LA tuition is currently about 20% of the cost of my Alma Mater in Memphis..........
Back Home

Little Rock, AR

#10 Feb 27, 2013
stringent.. See, "prep" school isn't all it's cracked up to be.
LA Grad 2009

United States

#11 Feb 27, 2013
Back Home wrote:
Funny just last weekend I had dinner with someone who graduated from Lee Academy in the early 90's. Guy graduated from Washington and Lee as did his entire family (also LA graduates). Last time I checked W&L's admission requirements were pretty stringint.

In fact, most of the people I know who went to LA who WANTED to go to college, not only were accepted, but did just fine once they got there.

And for what it's worth, I did NOT go to school there. I attended a preparatory school in Memphis and for all my parents' sacrifice I have done no better or worse than anyone my age from LA has done(at least those who put forth any kind of effort in life).

And one other consideration, LA tuition is currently about 20% of the cost of my Alma Mater in Memphis..........
Memphis preparatory schools are a joke! Who's bathrooms do you mop now for a living?
LA Grad 2009

United States

#12 Feb 27, 2013
Back Home wrote:
stringent.. See, "prep" school isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I did know it was suppose to be cracked up to be anything.
Back Home

Little Rock, AR

#13 Mar 13, 2013
LA Grad 2009 wrote:
<quoted text>
Memphis preparatory schools are a joke! Who's bathrooms do you mop now for a living?
I'm not sure why you're attacking me when you know absolutely nothing about me.

I mop my own bathrooms, and in working my way up through the world have mopped a bathroom or two. I have never had a problem with working my way up. Intelligence and education do not necessarily equal gainful employment.

I'm quite satified with my job, but it's business management, not janitorial, and quite frankly I prefer working outdoors doing manual labor, but the job I have does much better at paying the bills.

While I absolutely hated the school I attended due to all the pretentious pricks who made up the majority of my classmates, it was and is a very good school from an academic standpoint. Proof is in the college acceptance rate (100% every year, and most year those are 4 year colleges) and test scores (2 perfect ACT scores in my class, and over half the class scored > 30).

Does that guarantee success in life? Not at all, but you DO get an education there, or you don't pass, and you certainly don't graduate, so perhaps you should do a little research before you start painting all Memphis prep schools with your broad, small-minded brush.
Back Home

Little Rock, AR

#14 Mar 13, 2013
Back on the subject of Lee Academy....while I didn't graduate from LA, my kids are currently in school there, and they seem to be doing quite well thus far.

Of course that could always change, but right now I'm quite satisfied with the education my children are receiving there, and it is a HELL of a bargain compared to other private schools just about anywhere.
Josh

United States

#15 Mar 21, 2013
Long as you keep that money comming in your child will have a good grade, even though that child will not be able to find a job that's good enough to make it without help from momma and daddy.

United States

#16 Mar 22, 2013
Josh wrote:
Long as you keep that money comming in your child will have a good grade, even though that child will not be able to find a job that's good enough to make it without help from momma and daddy.
I have a good job and get no help from the parents. And graduated from lee. Attended college and graduated there too. You will get out of an education what you put into it.
Josh

United States

#17 Mar 23, 2013
And how many in your class cam say the same thing and it be true? About one out of thirty. Not very good odds.

United States

#18 Mar 23, 2013
Josh wrote:
And how many in your class cam say the same thing and it be true? About one out of thirty. Not very good odds.
The people that actually tried at lee and went to college and put some effort in it ALL have good jobs. The people that were lazy, put minimal effort into it are getting out of their job just what they put into it, minimal.

I figure that will be the case at ANY school.

United States

#19 Mar 23, 2013
Josh wrote:
And actually about 75% of my graduating class have decent to good jobs.
Back Home

Little Rock, AR

#20 Mar 26, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
The people that actually tried at lee and went to college and put some effort in it ALL have good jobs. The people that were lazy, put minimal effort into it are getting out of their job just what they put into it, minimal.
Yep. If someone wants to succeed, they will. If they don't care, they probably won't. I know folks who graduated from Lee County public schools (a system constantly at risk of being taken over by the state due to poor results on standardized tests) who have done great in life, and I know folks who are geniuses who haven't amounted to crap because they didn't care/ didn't try.

No matter how good much a school offers, it cannot overcome apathy by the individual, and shortcomings in a school can be overcome by hard work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marianna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 5 min --Bad Dad-- 41,485
Fallon & Brandon 7 hr Banned 7
anyone know dewayne weeks (Oct '10) 9 hr Guest 8
Leonard Devazier 12 hr farmer 7
any one know dewayne weeks (Oct '10) 13 hr The farmer chick 13
Nicole younger 15 hr Guest 1
pastor Austin D Hill Thu Goodgirl 4

Marianna Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance