Resale shop, consignment or Neiman Ma...

Resale shop, consignment or Neiman Marcus?

Posted in the Marengo Forum

what the

Harvard, IL

#1 Sep 12, 2010
Ok so what is the deal with shops in town?

The resale shop thinks they are Neiman Marcus by their prices. It was disorganized, things on the floor, the lady at the counter could care less she had customers in the store and a small stuffed toy in there was $8.00!! Get a grip it is a resale shop.

The consignment shop in the green house was much more organized. The prices were also a bit high for me but the quality of the items was better. I do realize that consignment shops do not set their own prices, as the individual sellers do.

Just purely my opinion but I feel that used stuff is used stuff...People do not shop resale, consignment or garage sales to pay premium price for used stuff. PRICE YOUR STUFF REALISTICALLY!! If either of you are sitting in your store wonder where all of the customers are, they are buying the same stuff, only new, at a retail store.
Sick of it

Belvidere, IL

#2 Sep 13, 2010
When I took my stuff to that kind of shop to be sold they put the prices on items not me.
too bad

United States

#3 Sep 29, 2010
If you don't like the price...drive 30 miles to the nearest department store.
what the

Harvard, IL

#4 Sep 29, 2010
First off the nearst department store from downtown Marengo would either be Springhill Mall or CherryVale Mall, and I do shop both.

Secondly, there is Grants Good As New and the Salvation Army Store in Belvidere. I believe two in Harvard/Woodstock area? Also, countless resale stores in Rockford.

Price things any which way you choose; its your store. I beleive it is helpful as a proprietor when you have the knowledge of the consumers opinion. Good Luck to you, your going to need it to ever see the real potential of your store.
Still Learning

Woodridge, IL

#5 Sep 30, 2010
So someone brought this post to my attention, I run the little green shop, Lucky Charlies. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for a bashing but just wanted to say that I do appreciate your opinions. Pricing is probably the hardest part of this business. We're still learning and will do our best to continue to get better and better. I do also appreciate you stopping in before voicing your opinion.

Our vision is to offer some more unique things that you wouldn't be able to find at the dept stores (but still at resale prices) like vintage jewelry, antiques, items from around the world. Things are going great and we really appreciate the support from the community as well as from the surrounding communities.

I hope you stop in again!
herestheskinny

United States

#6 Sep 30, 2010
i bought something from there and was very happy with the price and the service. Not as sure about the building color though.
Still Learning

Valparaiso, IN

#7 Sep 30, 2010
Thanks, I am happy to hear that!

I agree, would love to change the color of the building. That is definitely one of the many things I would love to do, not sure when, but hopefully soon.
what the

United States

#8 Sep 30, 2010
Openess between the retailer and the consumer is PRICELESS inside market research. Companies pay high dollars to understand the consumer.

I agree that the Lucky Charles shop is more of a boutique shop. I enjoyed looking around in there, and saw lots of unique things that I wouldn't see somewhere else.(Lots of very cool jewelry!) I surely didn't mean the original post to be a bashing, so I hope it was not taken that way; more of a personal opinion. I did buy something when I went in there, and do plan to return soon.

I do feel the other shop, however, needs some work.
Compassionatecon servative

Dallas, TX

#9 Oct 1, 2010
I've been there once, it was a nice shop with good prices. I left very happy
what the

United States

#10 Sep 16, 2011
Ok...so I hear that the A to Z resale is going out of business. Could it be that thier items were over priced; Or because it was too disorganized to find something desireable? I will say, when they ran sales things were reasonable, but if not on sale...over priced. I tried to tip you off...

PS The color of the Lucky shop is fun...reminds me of a clover color, and it helps get the place noticed. I continue to find the most unique things that I never knew existed...but now can not live without.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marengo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rt 14 Sep 8 Bob 1
Why is the Kave bar Closed (Mar '13) Aug '16 FriendlyBeever 4
News Sun City sees spike in use of golf carts on str... (Aug '08) Aug '16 FriendlyBeever 11
News Grasser, John J. (Jan '14) Aug '16 Bob 2
Tammy Bussell (Apr '09) Jul '16 Tammy 2
News Woodstock man charged after allegedly harrassin... Jul '16 Worried 1
News Girl in good condition after being hit by vehic... Jul '16 Anon 1

Marengo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marengo Mortgages