Eleven-year-old boy bitten by shark at Marco Island

Full story: WOFL

Marco Island authorities say an eleven-year-old tourist was cut on his right hand and thigh after a reported shark attack.
Comments
1 - 20 of 45 Comments Last updated Mar 21, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anthony Santiago

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2006

Judged:

Its a shame that the people in charge make so little of shark bites in Fl. Florida has more shark attacks then any place in the world,also more deaths.We all know thats it bad business to have all this news .But it seems that money means more to some then a life.I fish for shark everyday for 4mo.here in FL. and catch avg. 3sharks a day from 4ft to 6 ft plus. but hook many over 8or 10 ft long but they just break the line or poles.and fish only about 10 to 40 ft off shore on Tiger Tail beach.people should know whats there and make there own minds about going in or letting there children in.I go in every day and have never been bite,BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.Enjoy but be carful.
ryan

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 31, 2008

Judged:

my advice, dont wear shinny watches and stuff in thwe water!
City Official

Georgetown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2009

ouch
charlotte

Wayne, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Judged:

sharks are horrible, they do nothing for us, all they do is kill. People think they are harmless and just looking for fish, clearly we are not fish we have arms legs and faces. SHARKS NEED TO BE CONTROLLED AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN FLORIDA....... WE NEED LIFE GUARDS
Dr Pepper

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Judged:

SHARKS SHOULD BE SHOT ! THEY R THE MOST HORRIBLE CREATURES IN THIS WHOLE WORLD. PEOPLE THINK THAT THEY ARE HARMLESS BUT WHY
DO U THINK THEY EAT U?? WELL THEY NEED TO BE CONTROLLED BECAUSE THEY R HORRIBLE!!!!!. ITS A SHAME TO SEE PEOPLE GET EATEN WHEN THEY WERE JUST SWIMMING IN THE WATER. please comment backk
hazza

Wayne, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Judged:

i agree with dr. peper sharks are horrible if they r scared of us they need to stay on there on terf
Kim

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2009

Judged:

Sharks r a shame to this world. Florida is suposed to be a fun and exciting state , but really u have to worry if ur gonna get attacked by a shark or not and u cant just enjoy yourself in the water. You have to be extremely careful. Everyone thinks that sharks are harmless and they only eat us because they think we are fish, but really we are HUMANS!. Its a shame to see someone get attacked when ur swimming to enjoy yourslef and you dont even know that sharks are swiiming under you. WELL guess wat !!? SHARKS R HORRIBLE AND THEY SHOULD BE KILLED . comment back
John

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

Judged:

Maybe instead of shooting them in their natural environment, they should shoot us when we enter their turf. Oh yeah, they can't shoot a gun too well. Maybe that's why they bite???
Lori in DE

Dover, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

Seriously, do you people really think like this? I'm sorry I booked a trip to FMB if you are this ignorant. Sharks are an animal living in their natural environment which we invade. You wouldn't go into the African Sahara and frolick around lions. Oh you probably would and then be mad the lion made a meal of you. Know the risk and go in the water of your own accord or stay out and never get bit. You can't have it both ways.

“yes this is my real pic ”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Judged:

people that kill sharks should be ground up an fed to them as chum , as for the others who are just complaining about them , do me a favor an punch yourself in the face
T-Dog

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Judged:

I agree , my family just got back from marco and a fisherman told us a story of a kid swimming in knee deep water and a black tip shark bit his hand...the dad meanwhile was pulling on his other hand (basically tug of war with a kid... The shark let go and the dad fell back into the water. The shark then came around and bit the dad in the butt. Who needs sharks anyways?

“Ahh, central air”

Since: Jul 08

Lower Ember City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2009

Judged:

I look at it this way...on land, we are the top predators. When you enter the sea, you are also entering a huge food chain and you ain't at the top any more. Thimble jellies got me the last time I went down, a 'gator almost got me in PCB a couple of years ago. Respect the sea, she's a fickle bit*h.
shark expert

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

SHARKS ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CREATURES IN THE WORLD! THEY SHOULD NOT BE SHOT U SHOULD BE SHOT! THEY ARE SWIMMING IN THEIR HOME WE ARE THE ONES INVADING THERE SPACE! SHARKS A BLIND DID U KNOW THAT? NO IM SURE U DINT THEY ARE BLIND SO THE CANT SEE! MAYBE THE SHARK THOUGHT IT WAS A SEAL OR SOMETHING BUT DONT EVER SAY THAT ABOUT SHARKS ITS OUR FAULT THEY BITE US DONT BOTHER THEM! I LOVE SHARKS I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM ! reply my messege please ;)
shark expert

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Judged:

the shark that bit the kid was a sand tiger shark almost harmless. they only bite when they are disturbed by splashing swimming close to them or swimming fast. just a suggestion just for you not to get hurt in the water: never make splasher while near any type of shark especially : TIGER SHARK, NURSE SHARK, SAND TIGER SHARK, GREAT WHITE, BULL SHARK, WHITE AND BLACK TIP SHARK AND ANGEL SHARK!. just for your protection. if a shark comes to bite you or you are near a shark stay still if its really close poke him/her in the eye or punch the nose. if you swim, swim fast but no splashes or you are dead meat. and the answer to the question: what do sharks do for us? is this one: without sharks killer whales cant eat so they dye. if they dye shammu would have not existed! and they are part of our nature we have to accept that. plus so what if they don't do anything for us. there are a lot of animal that don't do anything for us like dolphins what do they do for us? huh? or poisonous fish or blow fish or lions or bears ? it looks like they don't do anything for but they do without them the rest of the animals dye because they are all part of a food chain so please don't insult sharks because some people like them like me. any questions about sharks or any animals just tell me ill have the answer! thank you. reply my message please.:)
No expert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2009

Judged:

Sharks are not blind, there are no seals in Florida, and if you think they are really dangerous you should stay inside. More people are struck by and killed by lightening then attacked by sharks in Florida. They are all over and endangered. They clean the ocean of sick and dying fish, just like crustaceans- shrimp, crabs and lobsters. They also prey on fish. The more we deplete the ocean of fish the more we will be attack by sharks. If you take away their food they will look elsewhere to get food, in the ocean. I have surfed and dived for over 20 years. I have fed sharks diving, I have been chased back to the beach surfing by sharks. I have never been bitten by them. I have swam with Lemon, black and white tip, Hammer, and had a 10 foot nurse shark sit on my lap, I still have not been bitten by a single shark. Jellyfish although suck, but I would not exterminate them I just stay out of their way. I also go airboating all the time and have not been bit by a snake or gator, I do think a water moccasin may get me one day, but that does not stop me form going in the everglades. I have been a Professional airboat captain, managed a dive store in Fort Lauderdale, PADI scuba instructor in Florida and Mexico, and surfer in both oceans, I enjoy every part of Florida and my son is doing the same thing ( he is 8 and I am 45)
T-Dog

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2009

Judged:

Dear Mr. " No Expert",
You r probably the stupidest people I know... Swiming with ten foot sharks. You will soon run out of luck with sharks!
youvegottobekidd ing

Simi Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

crazy!!! woman
f-stop

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2009

we swim with sharks all the time, we just don't know it. Most of the shark bites are mistakes, and once shark realizes you're not fish, he lets go. Quite a few surfers in east central florida proudly display their scars (mostly healed holes, usually on feet, knees or hands) from shark bites. They will not call the media, either - it scares the turists and makes dumb people dumber. Also, we fish for sharks and always release. Killing one on your own beach is bad karma.
Dumb People

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2009

Judged:

Okay, shooting sharks? Seriously. You people really are ignorant. YOU are swimming in their home areas. They do nothing for us? Do your research people.
Viv

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

John wrote:
Maybe instead of shooting them in their natural environment, they should shoot us when we enter their turf. Oh yeah, they can't shoot a gun too well. Maybe that's why they bite???
Well put.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marco Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 20 hr Liberal forever 2,954
Anything worse than a Smarzzie? (Apr '08) 20 hr fista cuffs 2,365
Turning back time, Naples officials buy a 1922 ... (Nov '07) Tue NWAC 210
Review: Pepper's Liquor & Lotto Tue 1EDCEE 1
Naples woman steals cell mate's debit card number Aug 23 NWAC 18
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) Aug 23 Sadira Snape 2,456
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Taxus 2,120
•••
•••
Marco Island Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Marco Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Marco Island People Search