Posted in the Marco Island Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Carey

Belleville, IL

#1 Jul 29, 2008
HI Everyone-

Im from St Louis and considering a second home in Naples. I have been there several times and even though im just turning 40 - a lot of folks consider it a retirement community -- I really enjoy the laid back atmosphere. So Im kind of bafffled -- I regularly read the Naplews News on line and all I read about is people complaining and whining about their city. Is it really that bad if you live there? Im just a visitor but it seems like paradise to me!
Ocean

Naples, FL

#2 Jul 29, 2008
Its a nice place to be. I have lived here for 15+ years. It may appear to have issues, as no place is perfect, but I would rather have Naples's issues than any other place's. At least we can whine about it on the patio in the beautiful weather, or read the problems in the newspaper on the beach. Or just boat, fish, golf and relax and not listen to the whiners :)
Carey

Belleville, IL

#3 Jul 30, 2008
Thats kind of what I was thinking. Here it is, 7am in the morning in St Louis, we have rainy cold weather with a forecast for that all day. Im a foreclosre agent so I will be visiting houses in this lovely weather today thinking about your sunshine!
MO Native

Cape Coral, FL

#4 Sep 18, 2008
I moved to Naples June of '07. My husband is from St. Louis and I am from Sikeston. We absolutely LOVE it here. We have two small children we are raising here.:) I do not miss the weather back home at all. The only thing I miss is the colors of the fall leaves, but that is it. Palm trees are better! There is a lot of road work going on here, but with you coming from St. Louis, you should be use to all the road work. Naples is very easy to get around in and there is so much to do! I can also say, I had horrible allergies back in Missouri and have not been sick since I have been here. The minute I step off the plane in St. Louis-I am sick. My family loves it here and we have no plans of moving back to the show-me state. I say go for it and move here.:) It is paradise.
Carey

Wentzville, MO

#5 Sep 25, 2008
Thanks MO Native -- I read these forums trying to get an idea of lifestyle and some people find it boring in Naples. Coming from St Louis, EVERYBODY calls it boring here! I just love the beach and the relaxed atmosphere I feel in Naples. Have you ever been to otherareas of Florida? DO you like NAples better than other areas as well?
MO Native

Lehigh Acres, FL

#6 Sep 26, 2008
I like the whole Southwest area along the ocean. From Marco Island up to Venice Beach. We love the beach and everything is so clean and pretty here compared to most places. I love the weather here in the winter. Everyone is always out and about doing something! I honestly don't think you would regret moving here at all! It's lovely.
Mona Ontario CANADA

Concord, Canada

#7 Sep 29, 2008
Naples is beautiful, it is truly paradise. We come to this place often and look for a second home ourselves. It depends on your priorities, if you like laid back atmosphere - the place is for you! The beaches are not crowded, clean, everything is so well maintained and manicured, that is what appeals most.

Since: Aug 08

Christiansburg, VA

#8 Oct 3, 2008
I lived in Naples for 16 years! Hated it! Naples is not for the working class people! It's mostly all flat land and the Royal Palms you see lining the streets are not even native to Florida. If you want to move to Florida just because of the weather, check out other parts of the country. Many states down south offer beautiful surrounding, great weather and won't dig deep into your savings!

“"Who Dat"”

Since: Oct 08

Naples, Fl.

#9 Nov 5, 2008
I've lived in Naples for the past 25 years. In time I'll be moving either to New Mexico, or Lubbock Texas. For now, I "Put Up" with this place. Just want to be around working class folks, not phonies. I'd also rent before dropping a dime to buy. Miss those, "Kitchen Table Talks."
We Love Naples

United States

#10 Nov 6, 2008
We moved to Naples in May & we absolutely love it here!!! We heard alot of negative comments prior to moving as well, but chose to come here anyway! We are very confident that we made the right choice & have never once regretted it! We have been very pleasantly suprised with how nice & friendly everyone we have met is! I should also mention that we are 'working class', as someone above referred to it. We still live very well & do not feel that things are any higher her than where we moved from! It all comes down to preference & what your idea of happiness is. For us, we have found exactly what we were looking for! Best of luck to you!:)

“"Who Dat"”

Naples, Fl.

#11 Nov 6, 2008
If I had to do over I would have rented for at least 2 years before thinking of buying. I'm happy that things have worked out so well for you,"We Love Naples." Could be a lot of trail blazing from others that have lived here a quarter of a century or beyond, and seen much of the ins and outs of Naples. Far as jobs here if you want to call them that. The 2 jobs for the blood,sweat, tears of 1 person (never had to do). That's another thread.
i know to much

Knoxville, TN

#12 Nov 11, 2008
well if you want to move to naples now is the time if you have money to buy a house.they are coming down and in all my time i been going back to florida to see family.i have never seen houses this cheap .so better hurry cause out of all the places i been in florida naples is the best.i read naples daily news every day on line
pattjer

Honolulu, HI

#13 Jun 21, 2011
any advise about living in Serafina at Tiburon in Naples , Florida? Thanks
pattjer

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jun 21, 2011
Hi There,
I am moving to Naples in August and I was wondering if can I get advise about living in Serafina at Tiburon? Thanks very much.
what a decision

Kenton, OH

#15 Jul 10, 2011
we are thinking of moving down there for better opportunities than oh... what is the job situation like? schools, rent? pros and cons please thanks for your input

“"Who Dat"”

Naples, Fl.

#16 Jul 10, 2011
what a decision....Like I've typed in my early posts 2008, rent before you leap into anything. My views of Naples haven't changed. If you have money to back yourself then that is different. I had the money but was disappointed in education and many things. This a resort town and doesn't have the culture your going to find in big cities. Good Luck...
arizona

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Jun 25, 2013
Looking at a possible move to Naples - Gulf Coast High School District, specifically. Will rent for at least the first year. Anyone have opinions on best places to rent? Thanks!
RonW

Sidney, OH

#18 Jun 27, 2013
Naples is a great place to visit but I would rather live a few miles North in Bonita Springs. Same weather, less traffic and taxes,beautiful beaches and shopping, plus the folks there are more down to earth.
If you want to impress your friends and family with a Naples address, by all means move there. If you want the good life and you don't care about such things, choose Bonita Springs.
Just looking

Charlotte, NC

#19 Jan 30, 2014
From out of state, does anybody know anything about the Menaggio community? My Dad is looking out there, but I heard the community went bankrupt and they stopped building? Is it close to any hospitals, the beach, or retail areas. So hard to help from a distance and realtors just tell you the positives (don't blame them, they want to make a living). I just want Dad to make the right decision. Thanks for any insight.
Mannie

United States

#20 Jan 30, 2014
Just looking wrote:
From out of state, does anybody know anything about the Menaggio community? My Dad is looking out there, but I heard the community went bankrupt and they stopped building? Is it close to any hospitals, the beach, or retail areas. So hard to help from a distance and realtors just tell you the positives (don't blame them, they want to make a living). I just want Dad to make the right decision. Thanks for any insight.
All I know is that it is part of Fiddler's Creek.

Lots of similar developments had to stop building lots of new homes when the housing market collapsed because it cost them lots more to build the homes than they could sell them for. It was the same in lots of areas around the country.

If you don't have a friend or relative who lives in the Naples area, then you might be wise to visit and see what's what for yourself with the Menaggio Community. The homes look nice on the web.

More and more people are going to be retiring in the next few years and decades to come, so Naples real estate should be solid for years to come --- relative to other areas. It is a really beautiful place for retirees and people on vacation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marco Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Turning back time, Naples officials buy a 1922 ... (Nov '07) 19 hr NWAC 219
Tv antenae Tue TV Guy 7
Playful St. Pete: City of culture, city of fun Oct 27 Liberal forever 1
Where to go on a Sunday night? (Tonight) Oct 26 Art 2
Anything worse than a Smarzzie? (Apr '08) Oct 24 fista cuffs 2,388
Val DeVine Oct 24 Naples1 2
Daytona commissioner arrested for striking 66-y... Oct 21 Joe 2
Marco Island Dating
Find my Match

Marco Island People Search