Parent questions teacher's comments o...

Parent questions teacher's comments on election

There are 12 comments on the Nashoba Publishing story from Nov 5, 2010, titled Parent questions teacher's comments on election. In it, Nashoba Publishing reports that:

What started as a discussion about the impending elections in Massachusetts and Ballot Question 3 at Nissitissit Middle School in Pepperell has turned into a debate about whether it is appropriate for a teacher to express political opinions in the classroom.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Nashoba Publishing.

David of Townsend MA

Bridgewater, MA

#1 Nov 10, 2010
This Adams woman sounds like a total monster.
Grover Pillsbury

Fitchburg, MA

#3 Nov 10, 2010
A union teacher states her view as if it is gospel and the mother of a student complains and you are saying she is a monster. Teachers should not be telling kids how they will vote or anything about their vote. We have 4 more years of Deval because of the teachers and other unions. Teachers are over paid and under qualified when I went to school you did not have this corruption a teacher taught the students and gave of their time today they will not do anything without getting paid. They work 9 months a year actually a little less with the days off and teacher workshops and complain the whole time. While I am sure that their are teachers who are their for the kids I also know there are not many of them. This goes along with poor management and an out of touch school commitee.
Hang on

Pepperell, MA

#4 Nov 10, 2010
I know Anne fairly well from school committee issues. She's passionate, level headed, and very strong with her opinions. She truly cares about education in our district.

I am all for teachers talking local politics with their students. Brings the issue home and local and tends to get kids more involved in discussion since they have more experience with it. However, teachers should NOT be voicing their own opinion. Save that for the break room and home. Doesn't belong in the classroom. They owe it to their students to encourage different opinions and views and not push their own agenda. Debate is a wonderful thing when taught properly.

Since: Aug 09

Townsend, MA

#5 Nov 10, 2010
...shouldn't the student(s) indeed have had some sort of concern for a ballot question that could have cut funding for their education in half? With cuts like that, they should fear that their education would suffer. Why try to deny that?

It's safe to say that many of their parents, with political opinions of their own, were in support of the tax cut - regardless of whether there would then be a loss in state revenue for education. Many kids don't have the opportunity to hear different opinions other than what is talked about at the dinner table. & that is not always a good thing.

Kids go to school to broaden their horizons & become exposed to many different points of view. I mean, even textbooks are biased. To tell a teacher, who, according to this article, gave an opinion based on her position, that she cannot talk about state ballot questions, is doing more harm to students than good. In this article, it is in no way stated - or implied - that this teacher tried to manipulate or force students to agree with her. There were class & group discussions about it, not just a teacher's comment!

I would suggest that it is a step in the right direction for kids in this district to hear more about what's going on with their education. If the first time they heard that their funding was at risk was from a teacher, then that's tragic.
Anonymous

Gardner, MA

#6 Nov 10, 2010
Election's over....I can't believe people are still talking about this. And Grover, you're as loony as the Sesame Street character you are named after. You obviously hate public education or any education at all. Please learn the difference betwixt there, their, and they're before posting again. If you finish that work, please work on your versus you're.
Dad and taxpayer

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Nov 11, 2010
Report this as abuse if you will I don't care.
Grover, kiss my ass. You are ignorant and don't know anything about teachers. I'm married to one. And while she does get the summers off etc. she is not corrupt and blah blah blah. She is a union teacher, voted for Baker and also against the tax cut as did I.
Why can't a teacher give her opinion. I think it's great teachers are back giving opinions and not just pushing the MCAS, You don't like the way things are in your school system, do something about it don't slam the population
And I just read your post on passing the tax cut. Talk about ignorant. Less sales take, more product sold, more items manufactured. More blah blah. So we'd be creating jobs in Taiwan and China and cutting local aid in Massachusetts---great idea boss.
Col Mustard

Pepperell, MA

#8 Nov 11, 2010
Dad and taxpayer wrote:
Report this as abuse if you will I don't care.
Grover, kiss my ****. You are ignorant and don't know anything about teachers.
Hey, anonymous...you want to disagree with something here--fine. But lay off the personal insults. Theres no place for that cr*p here, genius.
Off to college

Hyde Park, MA

#9 Nov 12, 2010
Teachers are over paid and under qualified when I went to school you did not have this corruption a teacher taught the students and gave of their time today they will not do anything without getting paid. They work 9 months a year actually a little less with the days off and teacher workshops and complain the whole time.

Do you honestly believe this? Overpaid? No. Take a look at the statistics that show education vs. salary. Overall, teachers are highly educated but salaries do not match the level of education. Work 9 mo. a year? No. They may teach students for 10 months, but their jobs aren't over when students leave the classroom. Teachers need to prepare, correct, grade, develop curriculum, meet with Teams, etc. Regarding teacher workshops/professional development- it doesn't make sense to not want this for teachers. Would you want a doctor that doesn't stay up-to-date with current needs, trends, information, etc.? While there are certainly people who should not be teaching, that is the case for any profession. I'm sorry your expereince has been so poor. As a HS senior, I have had great experiences over the years and look forward to bringing what I have learned from all my wonderful teacher to college with me.
deputy marshall

Pepperell, MA

#10 Nov 12, 2010
"Off to college" sounds like you need remedial help first. Perhaps you and Alfred E. Gabrilska sound apply to the Salter school and if you can get in then transfer to Fitchburg State?

Since: Aug 09

Townsend, MA

#11 Nov 12, 2010
@deputy marshall

Too late, already graduated college & gone on to grad school... at MIT. Sucker.

& also: there's NOTHING wrong with tech schools. & Fitchburg State is a GREAT school for those who work hard. Forget teachers giving their opinions (beneficial), people like you should be the ones we're concerned about.
barak

Peabody, MA

#12 Nov 13, 2010
Teachers should have -at least- enough intelligence to realize their personal
political, religious, or sexual beliefs should be left out of the classroom. When
reviewing the poor job most of them are doing teaching reading, writing, and
arithmatic, you have to wonder why they don't go into another less demanding line of work!!!

Automatic Arithmatic

Gardner, MA

#13 Nov 13, 2010
barak wrote:
Teachers should have -at least- enough intelligence to realize their personal
political, religious, or sexual beliefs should be left out of the classroom. When
reviewing the poor job most of them are doing teaching reading, writing, and
arithmatic, you have to wonder why they don't go into another less demanding line of work!!!
....like spelling "arithmetic" correctly....darn fools!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marblehead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Route 1 traffic light needed? (Sep '06) Mon Fingers crossed 10
News Black Men at Greater Risk for Prostate Cancer: ... Feb 26 T-BOS 8
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Saugus (Aug '15) Feb 23 gvalle 10
State Rep Wong (Jan '12) Feb 22 Friends to the end 62
Review: Ilovekickboxing - Peabody (Dec '15) Feb 16 audrey21 53
News Family mourns teen found stabbed in East Boston Feb 13 former democrat 4
Car Fans - A new company is moving into town - ... Jan '17 sitoga 1

Marblehead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance