City Ordinance for Slumlords

City Ordinance for Slumlords

Posted in the Marble Hill Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jumpin Jack Flash

United States

#1 Nov 7, 2012
The city of Marble Hill really needs to put one in place. I've seen properties that are in desperate need of repair yet the landlord refuses to fix anything, and yet demands rent.
Renter

United States

#3 Nov 8, 2012
I moved into a house once after the landlord gave me his WORD that he would fix things. He was gonna get right on it. If anything got fixed I had to do it myself. He told me that he would take it off the rent. I kept all the reciepts for materials I bought and a list of everything I had to fix. When I finally said to heck with it and moved. He threatened to sue me for the money that was supposed to be taken off of the rent. I thought he was a good guy untill I rented from him now I have no respect for the man at all.
The Slum Lord

United States

#4 Nov 8, 2012
Buy your own place and quit bitching!
Renter

United States

#5 Nov 8, 2012
The Slum Lord wrote:
Buy your own place and quit bitching!
I would if I could afford it but can't since my divorce. Don't buy rental property if you're to cheap to fix it and expect people to live in conditions you wouldn't live in yourself. Cheap a*s!
Landlord

United States

#6 Nov 8, 2012
I bought rental property for the sole purpose of renting them to make money. I do not expect my tenants to live in conditions I would not live in myself. Re: What a horrible attitude to have Slumlord.
Just Sayin

High Ridge, MO

#7 Nov 28, 2012
The Slum Lord wrote:
Buy your own place and quit bitching!
The Slum Lord, if everyone bought their own homes and didnt need an apartment, who would rent from you..no one, you have a bunch of nonproductive property that arent generating revenue to pay taxes on.
Just Sayin

High Ridge, MO

#8 Nov 28, 2012
Jack Flash, Here is a link that you might find useful. http://ago.mo.gov/publications/landlordtenant...

Also, if you want the city of Marble Hill to put in place an ordinance to protect renters from slumlords then read this and make a model of it then form a group of renters to get together and go as a group to city hall and set a time to meet with your alderman or mayor to propose an ordinace. Also attend city hall meetings and express concerns of slumlord issues and continue to propose an ordinance that will cause landlords to maintain their property. Even if your maintenance issued with your house or apartment get resolved, continue to push for the ordinance.

http://www.stlcitycircuitcourt.com/CircuitCle...

Whenever there is a maintenance issue with your apartment or house always call the landlord immediately. Before renting, always read your lease and note or look for a part of the lease that addresses maintenance issues. A good landlord will always address maintenance issues in the lease. If your landlord does not respond to your call regarding what needs to be fixed, write them a letter and send it certified so that they must sign for it. Always make copies to keep for your own records.

Does Marble Hill have an ordinace in place regulating derelict,or problem properties?Proposing that all rental properties MUST pass an inspection before the owner or landlord can rent them out is a good ordinance to have as well.

Also, another issue to address is leases and occupancy of dwelling. For instnace having an ordinace that requires everyone living in a dwelling to be on the lease and have a criminal background check. Also addressing the number of occupants that can live in the apartment or house. For instance,6 people cannot live in a 1 r even a 2 bedroom apartment. You could also propose that it would be illegal for landlords to rent to drug dealers and registered sex offenders with in so many feet of a school , preschool etc.. Include an an ordinace that if the landlord knows that illegal activity is going on in or on their property and doesnt take action to evict the leasor then the landlord/property owner forfeits their property to the city. That means if tenants are busted doing illegal activity, the city then takes leagl action to confiscate the property from the owner and it then becomes the property of the city.
Renters insuracne is another good asset to have. If you have maintenance issues that you have documented (pictures, video, sending letters to landlord etc) and damage to your personal property happens, your insurance might cover it. If you can prove that damage happened do to deliberate neglect of upkeep of the property , your insurance may demand that that the landlord or his insurance company reimburse them for the fund they paid to you. When his insurance company gets wind of what happened then they may want to inspect his property as well.

So it would behoove all the landlords out there to maintain your properties.
Just Sayin

High Ridge, MO

#9 Nov 28, 2012
Landlord wrote:
I bought rental property for the sole purpose of renting them to make money. I do not expect my tenants to live in conditions I would not live in myself. Re: What a horrible attitude to have Slumlord.
Maybe Slumlord is feed up with a crap landlord who doesnt understand anything but $600/month or whatever the rent amount is.

I bought rental properties to make money too but not at the price of other human beings dignity. If the owners keep them maintained ( and I'm not saying that you dont) we are more likely to get our rent money, more likely to keep a good reputation as a landlord and retain good, respectable renter.
Just Sayin

High Ridge, MO

#10 Nov 28, 2012
Also when you form a renters association group...at the same time, make a FaceBook page for the group. Have everyone take pictures of their maintenance issues and post the pictures on FB along with the address and share, share, share.
Slum Lord

United States

#11 Nov 29, 2012
Just Sayin wrote:
Also when you form a renters association group...at the same time, make a FaceBook page for the group. Have everyone take pictures of their maintenance issues and post the pictures on FB along with the address and share, share, share.
Yea....Go ahead and then get ready to be evicted. Make sure you get all those pictures of damage that you will have to pay for from your deposit.
Jumpin Jack Flash

United States

#12 Nov 29, 2012
Slum Lord wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea....Go ahead and then get ready to be evicted. Make sure you get all those pictures of damage that you will have to pay for from your deposit.
Simple solution: take pictures of the property inside and out prior to moving in, save the pictures on your computer (which will show the date), make copies of your dated lease, and have an atty or friend hold the copy for you.
Just sayin

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Nov 30, 2012
Slum Lord wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea....Go ahead and then get ready to be evicted. Make sure you get all those pictures of damage that you will have to pay for from your deposit.
If someone has a lease for a dwelling they cant get evicted for posting pictures of place they pay rent on. It would be illegal to evict someone for that reason. they could then sue you for breaking your lease or rental agreement. If the damage is from regular wear and tear, neglect to maintain property or existed before the tenant moved in then you cant hold squat out of a persons deposit.
Just sayin

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Nov 30, 2012
Jumpin Jack Flash wrote:
<quoted text>Simple solution: take pictures of the property inside and out prior to moving in, save the pictures on your computer (which will show the date), make copies of your dated lease, and have an atty or friend hold the copy for you.
Right. Good idea.
JOE

Springfield, MO

#15 Nov 30, 2012
I can't rent my house, because there is more people who don't care about anything or anyone's property. I have seen bad renters!!! I have seen landlords who do take care of a place with the renters care what they live in!! I also know landlords who are in it for money alone, so they let it go, something so bad I wouldn't let my dog live in it. It works BOTH Ways~!!!!
JOE

Springfield, MO

#16 Nov 30, 2012
This website doesn't work to well, did not mean it to go on over and over. Sorry
JOE

Springfield, MO

#17 Nov 30, 2012
I have also seen renters leaving, oweing several hundred dollars for rent. Leaving nasty stuff in the frig. so it would stink up the place. I know a lady that had to replace the firg. because the stink would not wash out. The carpet totally trashed out by their dog. And they blame the landlord.
It really does work both ways~!!!!!!
yes-m

Marble Hill, MO

#18 Nov 30, 2012
I think I would first do a little research and see what ordinances comparable sized cities have dealing with rental properties. I would then approach one of yhe Board members and explain your thoughts and concerns and show them the ordinance. It might even bring a new job opening to Marble Hill as in the need for a house inspector. BUT, you have to remember Marble Hill does not even have building or electrical codes. There are probably quite a few homes that would not pass a good inspection on electrical and plumbing alone. Time to start though.
Just sayin

United States

#19 Dec 1, 2012
JOE wrote:
I can't rent my house, because there is more people who don't care about anything or anyone's property. I have seen bad renters!!! I have seen landlords who do take care of a place with the renters care what they live in!! I also know landlords who are in it for money alone, so they let it go, something so bad I wouldn't let my dog live in it. It works BOTH Ways~!!!!
Yes I agree JOE. Thats why there should be city ordinances in place to protect both tenents and landlords. Both should be responsible for holding up to their part as tenents and landlords.
Just sayin

United States

#20 Dec 1, 2012
yes-m wrote:
I think I would first do a little research and see what ordinances comparable sized cities have dealing with rental properties. I would then approach one of yhe Board members and explain your thoughts and concerns and show them the ordinance. It might even bring a new job opening to Marble Hill as in the need for a house inspector. BUT, you have to remember Marble Hill does not even have building or electrical codes. There are probably quite a few homes that would not pass a good inspection on electrical and plumbing alone. Time to start though.
It wouldnt hurt to have building safety codes in place either. It's a good idea and protects both the tenents and landlords as well as keeps the cost of insurance premiums down.
JOE

Malvern, AR

#21 Dec 4, 2012
I don't think any one in our city hall knows about saftey codes,or building codes. And besides they would have to hire someone to do this, and they could not pay them. City Hall isn't much better than it was before!!!! I have never in my life seen such a town as this. This is the worst move I have ever made in my life. I live to regret this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Marble Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Missouri (... (Oct '10) 20 hr Politico 965
Selling house And 20 acres (Nov '16) Fri Interested 6
Daelin crass and Kaytlin mifflin Thu hmm 2
Searching for Amanda Womack May 24 Guest 2 3
Police dept? May 24 Yep 5
Susan Hayden May 24 Shrumpue 1
Marble Hill, Pool, Cars and other (Jul '10) May 22 Guest 37

Marble Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Marble Hill Mortgages