Parents Charged In Boy's Drowning

Full story: WHOtv

Jackson County authorities say they have arrested and charged the adoptive parents of a 4-year-old boy who apparently drowned in a bathtub at the family home in Andrew.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Jul 4, 2010

Since: Feb 10

Tifton, GA

#1 Jun 18, 2010
Poor little guy. Doesn't sound like he had a chance. I hope these people get what they deserve and the little boy gets the justice he deserves. R.I.P.
Dave

Des Moines, IA

#2 Jun 18, 2010
Look at them, of course they don't have an attorney. This poor little kid, why were these people able to adopt a child. Another reason why DHS should be gutted and started over with workers who really care instead of people just there to get a two week check.
Giggs

Des Moines, IA

#3 Jun 18, 2010
Dave wrote:
Look at them, of course they don't have an attorney. This poor little kid, why were these people able to adopt a child. Another reason why DHS should be gutted and started over with workers who really care instead of people just there to get a two week check.
Where exactly do you get off smearing an entire group of people like that? You just sit behind your keyboard and attack people you know nothing about. DHS and social workers are overworked and underpaid. They don't do what they do for the money. They do it because they actually do care about others, especially the least amongst us. They are trying to help people and make lives better. They are good people doing a thankless job. You, on the other hand, are a judgemental and ignorant ahole.
so sad

Morrison, IL

#4 Jun 18, 2010
Another young angel off to heaven before his time. This little guy did nothing to deserve such a horrible death and most likely lived a horrible life with these people.
Why are people like this allowed to adopt when others who are more suitable, capable and loving are being denied?
Carol

United States

#5 Jun 18, 2010
Giggs wrote:
<quoted text>
Where exactly do you get off smearing an entire group of people like that? You just sit behind your keyboard and attack people you know nothing about. DHS and social workers are overworked and underpaid. They don't do what they do for the money. They do it because they actually do care about others, especially the least amongst us. They are trying to help people and make lives better. They are good people doing a thankless job. You, on the other hand, are a judgemental and ignorant ****.
I agree with "Giggs". Perhaps Dave would like it if DHS came into every home for a little look around. Then everything we do could be monitored. DHS wouldn't get involved unless someone had made a complaint, whether it be a Dr., police officer, teacher or citizen. DHS has had budget cuts along with many other departments. Positions that have been vacated due to retirement or layoffs are not being filled and workers are covering more cases and extra counties.
this day in age sucks

Indianola, IA

#6 Jun 18, 2010
You have got to be kidding me. Since when can a parent not make a mistake--I know a lot of parents that would put there kid in the tub and get some stuff done while they take a bath. 2010 sucks I am sure they feel bad its not like they drown him by their own hand. Back in the old days kids died all the time--things happen.
this day in age sucks

Indianola, IA

#7 Jun 18, 2010
I didn't see anything about the need for DHS. Since when did you need to look a certain way to care for a child. I am sure the reason they look bad is THEIR KID JUST DIED.
so sad

Morrison, IL

#8 Jun 18, 2010
this day in age sucks wrote:
I didn't see anything about the need for DHS. Since when did you need to look a certain way to care for a child. I am sure the reason they look bad is THEIR KID JUST DIED.
A child died....do you people not get it, nothing else matters other than a child died?????
hawks

Radcliffe, IA

#9 Jun 18, 2010
They were the aunt and uncle. It was a relative placement. Unfortunately, relatives have rights. I wouldn't put too much blame on DHS.
susan

Mount Ayr, IA

#10 Jun 22, 2010
This is a horrific crime. The mother is charged with 1st degree murder. The father should be charged with 2nd degree murder or attempted murder for not stopping her from drowning that little boy. This is a horrific crime and I am deeply heartbroken for the people who loved this little boy and the ones who will miss him.
dave

Clinton, IA

#11 Jun 22, 2010
Seems a little hard to make accusations toward the parents or DHS since the story did not say much about what happened other than the dad made 911 call. Are there other stories related to this incident.

My sister had a child drown in just 2 inches of water in the bathtub while at a babysitters home. He was 18 months old and thought he hit his head on the tub fell over and could not get up, because the baby sitter had stepped away for just a few minutes. I was determined an accident and no charges were filed.

I am just pointing out that accidents can happen. Lets view the facts before we as citizens make unfounded accusations.
dave

Clinton, IA

#12 Jun 22, 2010
Proof read, proof read. UGH!!!

Seems a little hard to make accusations toward the parents or DHS since the story did not say much about what happened other than the dad made a 911 call. Are there other stories related to this incident?

My sister had a child drown in just 2 inches of water in the bathtub while at a babysitters home. He was 18 months old and thought he hit his head on the tub fell over and could not get up, because the baby sitter had stepped away for just a few minutes. It was determined an accident and no charges were filed.

I am just pointing out that accidents can happen. Lets view the facts before we as citizens make unfounded accusations.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#13 Jul 4, 2010
this day in age sucks wrote:
You have got to be kidding me. Since when can a parent not make a mistake--I know a lot of parents that would put there kid in the tub and get some stuff done while they take a bath. 2010 sucks I am sure they feel bad its not like they drown him by their own hand. Back in the old days kids died all the time--things happen.
People need to realize that when a tragedy like this occurs the police are not going to be a person's friend, they are going to take statements and view and seize evidence at the scene and if the person that were there make a mistake and talk to police at all they will live to regret making those statements.

After a basic 911 call is made, a person might want to think about invoking those rights that US military persons swear a lifetime oath to support and defend.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maquoketa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 11 Go Blue Forever 63
IA Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
IA IA Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Tru... (Oct '10) Mar '14 aez 17
IA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Iowa in 2... (Oct '10) Sep '13 So true 52
Review: Meinecke-Richards Agency Inc (Sep '13) Sep '13 Greg 1
Review: Connel Supply Company (Jun '13) Sep '13 Spirit67_ 2
•••
•••
•••

Maquoketa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Maquoketa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE