West Orange ShopRie not participating in the US Gov WIC program

Posted in the Maplewood Forum

Since: May 13

West Orange, NJ

#1 May 6, 2013
I was wondering if someone could explain to me why the West Orange ShopRite is not accepting the US Government program WIC? Why do local residents have to travel far from home to purchase food for their families? This is DISCRIMINATION at its worst.

There is a small sign at entrance of store. http://tinypic.com/r/24l0jdg/5 Why not a HUGE sign to make all aware of this #Discrimination?

What do you say about this? I think people should boy-cot this store in protest, some of your neighbors may be harmed by this.

Just my 2 cents.

J.D. Green
Streetrunner

New York, NY

#2 Dec 7, 2013
In order to accept WIC there is a whole slew of new regulations and requirements. The store would have to spend huge amounts of time and money to get in compliance otherwise subject to crippling fines. The store has applied for a waiver and time extension. It will be closing within the next few months if not granted. As far as your allegation of discrimination you are right: the regulations and requirements on there face are not discriminatory but are having a discriminatory affect in that it is going to cause this store to close down.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maplewood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Pride Academy Charter School (Oct '10) 11 hr Team pride 57
Edward & Catherine Uhrie 23 hr Gail Hawthorne 4
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Fri Hiawatha 19,847
Review: Crosstown Plumbing Supply Thu HowleWeibelI 1
News Learn ways to cope with depression and anxiety ... Apr 19 HumanSpirit 4
Methiopropamine, UR-144, 5F-AKB48, pv-9, Ethyl... Apr 19 stanleyhopman 1
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Apr 19 rabbee yehoshooah... 71,942
More from around the web

Maplewood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]