NAACP Considers Suit Against South Orange-Maplewood School District
The Oranges & Maplewood NAACP passed a resolution June 15 it says is aimed at "ending racial segregation within the South Orange/Maplewood School District." new The resolution by the local unit of the NAACP aims to delevel 8th through 12th grade in the South Orange-Maplewood School District.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Maplewood Patch.
Since: Apr 07
#1 Jul 13, 2010
I'm all for integration. I feel exposure to different cultures makes for a more open-minded, well-rounded individual. That said:
Does anyone consider that this desegregation is actually harming their youths? Do away with Advanced Placement classes? Teach all at the same level? Regardless of race, students ARE NOT the same and learn at different rates. Forcing those over-achievers to sit back with the under-achievers is not only a gross disservice to our country's educational future, but it will also creates the potential for increased disciplinary problems. Bored students tend to get into trouble, no?
#2 Jul 13, 2010
Ironically, the school district in question is absolutely the most INTEGRATED school district for miles around in any direction. A confrontational lawsuit sure seems like a great way to screw up what is arguably one of the best examples of a harmoniously functioning integrated school system probably in the whole country. Brilliant!
#3 Oct 9, 2010
---How do we information to that local and the national NAACP that Dr. Bernard Ryan, former principal of Maplewood Middle School, warned the school district of these issues in '95. In fact, he was forced to retire early due to concern about resegregation of black and Hispanic males. His effort to de-level in 94-95 or 95-96 resulted him being threatened with the loss of his job and 23 year of credit toward NJ retirement and life health insurance.---- HE KNOWS that the board knew what they were doing---HE KNOWS they were advised to the take steps to reduce such discrimination. HE and his staff developed a de-leveling plan at the beginning of the school year that had been developed over a three year period of study. Within 6 weeks into school, due to complaints about citizens' daughters sitting next to THOSE boys, Bernie was ordered to dismantle the plan by the then Superintendent Ralph Leiber. Bernie's "separation" agreement included a gag order on him. In fact, the only person I know, beside myself, that he has told the whole story to was Marian Wright Edelman---
Is there any way to get this info to NJ and National???
Dr. Muriel Ryan, proud wife of a courageous educator
Add your comments below
|The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10)||Mon||Mcm123||21,338|
|The Menendez mistrial proves that sleazy isn't ...||Nov 17||SirPrize||1|
|Menendez jury resumes talks as judge mulls new ...||Nov 16||CodeTalker||5|
|Has anyone seen the Honeymooners musical at the...||Nov 15||Frank Gannucci||1|
|Chertoff keep Norcross Untouchable||Nov 13||test||2|
|Obama urges New Jersey voters to reject 'politi...||Nov 13||Phyllis Schlafly ...||28|
|Secaucus transgender boy returns to Scouting (Feb '17)||Mar '17||Just Wondering||3|
Find what you want!
Search Maplewood Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC