A new Penang pops up in Maple Shade

A new Penang pops up in Maple Shade

There are 19 comments on the CourierPostOnline story from Feb 22, 2008, titled A new Penang pops up in Maple Shade. In it, CourierPostOnline reports that:

Penang Malaysian and Thai Cuisine opened last weekend on Route 38 in Maple Shade. via CourierPostOnline

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CourierPostOnline.

Aleijandinho

Detroit, MI

#1 Feb 24, 2008
I was at Penang last weekend, and I must say that the food was outstanding. It was very interesting, very different from Chinese or Indian. It was kinda in between those two though, but with alot of Mango and Coconut. Would definatley reccomend it. FIVE STARS!
skyline

Pottstown, PA

#2 Apr 25, 2008
The food is incredibly over priced.The chef probably does not have a good inclination of how to cook and blend the spices. The food was tasteless.The vegetables were not fresh and most of them tasted like canned vegetables.I would not recommend this restaurant even over any fast food place.
devi9

Maple Shade, NJ

#3 May 16, 2008
the Satay Tofu was GREAT! Big fan of Penang in Philadelphia,
this doesnt come close. it is pretty, and decorated nicely, but fails
to reach the standards the Chinatown location has set. The staff is
helpful and willing to please, but the chef needs to spend time
working on perfecting the food.
For a NJ restaraunt it is FAR superior to ANYHING in the Cherry Hill-
Marlton region.
goFurself

Ann Arbor, MI

#4 May 19, 2008
the food was amazing. the service was great. and all you haters need to stick to ur own take out chinese joints. I love the fact that its byob and its not overpriced at all. OH yeah and dont forget to leave a 20 % tip people.
KoiBoi

Peru, IN

#5 May 29, 2008
This was my first time for Malaysian food. The spices are hot and complex like Indian but the ingredients are more Chinese. The coconut rice was amazing - lots of fresh veggies. The curry beef noodle soup was HOT and delicious. The prices are very reasonable so not sure what the hater was talking about. Fast and friendly service, too.
sherdog

Wilmington, DE

#6 Jul 22, 2008
i love this *hit!!!
sherdog

Wilmington, DE

#7 Jul 22, 2008
skyline wrote:
The food is incredibly over priced.The chef probably does not have a good inclination of how to cook and blend the spices. The food was tasteless.The vegetables were not fresh and most of them tasted like canned vegetables.I would not recommend this restaurant even over any fast food place.
you probably ate too much damn fast food that you don't even know what real food taste like...
Joe

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Aug 1, 2008
I'm not sure what skyline is talking about, our first time there tonight, the food was hot, fresh, and tasty. The wait staff incredibly friendly. 5-stars +

Oh, and Vomit, just plain childish and dumb!
VOMIT

Randolph, NJ

#10 Aug 2, 2008
I'm sorry daddy
SoccerMom

AOL

#11 Aug 4, 2008
Penang is fabulous, I've eaten there several times. It's considered Asian Infusion.
Jimmy

Allentown, NJ

#13 Aug 4, 2008
Ate there last week. Yawn ho-humm! Nothing special to write home about here folks. I put them overall on the same level food quality and service as are the many regional Chinese Buffet all-you-can-eat places. Only difference is at Penang you pay three to four times the price for the same food and service. Best you save yourself alot of money people and eat at the Chinese Buffet place instead.
Millie B

Haddonfield, NJ

#14 Sep 3, 2008
I don't know what or where you ate, but I loved the food. I spent four years living with someone from Malaysia, and his mother's cooking was very similar.
Sorry
Wilsn Li_NY

Oxford, NY

#15 Jul 7, 2009
Are we talking about the same Penang? I am from NY and was visiting my brother over the weekend. He took us there for what was supposed to be a treat!
As soon as we walked in, our family was mesmorized by the interior decoration - right in the middle of the dinning room is a fountain stocked with Koi - how can anything else top that! And for that, we were all tuned for a great meal!
The watiers were very friendly and cordial throughout the meal. We ordered several dishes for the whole table of 6 to share. The Curry sauce served with the pancake was quite authentic and tasty. The Pad Thai Stir Fry was on the average. However, the quality of a few of the more common dishes including the Malaysian landmark dish was a complete disappointment!
My favorite dish - the Hoinan chicken - was flavorless and rubberish and certainly was left over from previous days! The rice that was normally served with the chicken was not cooked with the proper spices but rather white rice flavored with some kind of broth.
The stir-fried Chinese broccoli was salty and couldn't be consumed without mixing in with rice and the beef in the stir fried Rice Noodle dish was also flavorless and tough/dry.
The Penang Restaurant chain has had several very successful store fronts established along the East Coast - but this one (of which we were told that it was run under completely different management) wasn't up to par at all. It was after all, despite the atmosphere, a serious disappointment!
rainman

West Orange, NJ

#16 Mar 12, 2010
as far as better than anything else in cherry hill obviously you have not been to Siri's or Myunga both a short drive away on route 70. sadly Aloe Fusion on route 561 is no longer but while it lasted the food was excellent.........
Mainlander

Croydon, PA

#17 Mar 12, 2010
We fail to understand the constant west jersey (read Delaware river) postings in the east jersey Manahawkin (read Atlantic ocean) topix page. LBI and the mainland have plenty of restaurants. If we want camden county reviews, we'll search for it.
Karen

Collingswood, NJ

#18 Mar 23, 2010
Penang is a franchise chinese food place not unlike Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays, Applebees and any one of another chain stores who truck in their foods processed, packaged and frozen. Just more fast-food with a fancy building decor and much higher prices.
Tom

United States

#20 Jul 3, 2011
Its ok
go back home

United States

#21 Jul 5, 2011
Sounds good
pork sandwich

United States

#22 Jul 5, 2011
Its good

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maple Shade Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local judge faces state complaint (Oct '10) 16 hr Ernie 11
Carolyn Majane (Feb '08) Jan 7 Mikey1 38
News After 3 decades, this N.J. leader won't be back... Oct '17 Nope 1
Steve Keeley (Fox 29 News) Needs To Stop Tanning! (Jun '11) Jul '17 Fool 33
News Camden family to be featured on 'Extreme Makeov... (Aug '07) Jul '17 Klarisa 115
looking for kathleen york (Apr '09) Jul '17 Anonymous 3
News Do Not Adopt from Greyhound Angel Adoption (Oct '09) Jun '17 Rcgall1984 20

Maple Shade Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maple Shade Mortgages