Cuyahoga Hts school employee has clos...

Cuyahoga Hts school employee has close ties to Maple Heights

Posted in the Maple Heights Forum

well actually

United States

#1 Oct 16, 2012
"Nearly $4.2 million was stolen from the Cuyahoga Heights schools by its former IT director, Joseph Palazzo, according to Ohio Auditor Dave Yost.

The period covered by Yost's special audit, released this morning, was July 1, 2007 through Feb. 22, 2011.

Yost called the amount "one of the largest findings for recovery" that the auditor's office has ever had.

The auditor said he has turned over the information from the audit to federal and county prosecutors. Palazzo has not yet been charged. Aside from any criminal charges that may come, the district plans to pursue civil action to recover the money, according to Superintendent Edwin Holland.

Holland also said there have been "a couple of federal raids" on Palazzo's home and businesses, which have secured "a lot of assets." Palazzo, described by Yost as "by all accounts a trusted and gregarious fellow," resigned in February 2011, shortly after then-interim Superintendent Lora Garrett discovered irregularities in IT spending. The board was preparing to fire Palazzo when he resigned.

The audit found that Palazzo authorized 436 payments totaling $3.8 million to seven companies, but the district received no goods and services in return for that money. Yost said that Palazzo's brother Dominick owned or operated some of those companies.

Another 179 transactions, totaling almost $350,000, were for goods and services that couldn't be located by the district, according to the auditor's office. Bank records also showed another $1.3 million in payments to Joseph Palazzo from some of the vendors as an apparent kickback, the audit found.

The 900-student district includes Valley View and Brooklyn Heights, as well as Cuyahoga Heights." (PD article 10-16-12)

This is the son of former Maple Heights School Board member who served with good old Sandy Klimkowski, and helped hire a well known attorney, treasurer and others who also have been investigated. As they say the apple doesn't fall very far.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3 Oct 17, 2012
You rip off the taxpayer, life in prison if you ask me.
mapleman

Netherlands

#4 Oct 18, 2012
I agree. The guy who worked for the school was making $70,000 a year. What did he need to steal for? He just p@ssed away a six-figure career. What an idiot.

Who says there aren't jobs available? This guy managed to get another job in IT AFTER this story went public last year.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#5 Oct 18, 2012
What was that fat fk DeMoral making per year as Cuyahoga County big shot? He was also getting a pension for being Mayor of Bedford. How much money does a person need anyway? I know he eats a lot, but..........
Maple Resident

Berea, OH

#6 Oct 18, 2012
It all has to do with greed and power. The more the politician is greedy, the more money he gets and along with it comes prestige. And just like the brain-dead bank robber that walks into a bank with no disguise on, the politician or whomever feels they'll never be caught.
mapleman

Netherlands

#7 Oct 19, 2012
Maple Resident wrote:
It all has to do with greed and power. The more the politician is greedy, the more money he gets and along with it comes prestige. And just like the brain-dead bank robber that walks into a bank with no disguise on, the politician or whomever feels they'll never be caught.
If I were to steal $3.8 million and the company didn't know, I would take some vacation time and move to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S. and live like a king. By the time they find out and indict me, it's too late. Why stick around and get these crazy sentences the feds are handing out?

People get away with these crimes and stick around. It's just crazy.
Citation Boy

Broadview Heights, OH

#8 Oct 19, 2012
What a PoS..... And as someone else pointed out earlier the crazy part is he was hired again almost immediately after this story hit! He has always been up to something but people never were able to pin anything down. It's so much worse than anyone thought. He better go away for a long time.
Tim

Twinsburg, OH

#9 Oct 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
You rip off the taxpayer, life in prison if you ask me.
YES YES YES,Go to jail and dont pass GO.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#11 Oct 20, 2012
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>Dont do the crime if you cant do the time,dont do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maple Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
K8ZFR, C.A.R.S. Hunk Nomination. (Sep '15) Jan 5 UhOHYEAH 6
News Garfield Heights bans pit bulls (Oct '07) Jan 4 LUVMYEMPRESS 14
News Troubles with neighborhood, teacher and money c... Jan 4 lol 1
Atlantic mills department store (May '15) Jan 1 George 5
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Dec 26 ghhs 1,158
neighbor from hell (Aug '14) Dec '17 Maple 13
News Maple Heights drug dealer sold fatal heroin dos... (Jan '17) Dec '17 Daddy 10

Maple Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Maple Heights Mortgages