Once a sleepy community, Pearland is ...

Once a sleepy community, Pearland is now a bustling suburb

There are 2 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Jul 18, 2010, titled Once a sleepy community, Pearland is now a bustling suburb. In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

Tom Reid, mayor of Pearland, is on his second stint at mayor and has served in that capacity for nearly 30 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

Harker Heights, TX

#1 Jul 18, 2010
More like urban sprawl has DESTROYED Pearland. The city planners must have gotten their degrees from DeVry. Instead of placing new city buildings near the center of town, these idiots are positioning them further and further away, thus increasing the need to expand roadways, etc. Guess who will have to pay for that?

Further, cul-de-sacs should be banned inside city limits like Virginia has done. They increase wear and tear on thoroughfares and are utterly useless. Want your spoiled kid to be able to play out on a cul-de-sac all day? Pay for a concret slab in your backyard so the rest of us don't have to pay for these urban planning disasters.
Death to all govt

Pearland, TX

#2 Jul 19, 2010
I kind of agree with ya. The biggest joke of all in Pearland are the several road projects that simply ran out of money and were just left in various stages of incompleteness.

I can't agree with you on cul-de-sacs. Increasing wear and tear on major roads is a poor reason. You can't really wear and tear Houston roads anymore then they already are anyway since all of our roads are some of the most deplorable condition in the USA. That's for another book though.

I guess my biggest problem with Pearland is during the building boom your city planners let the builders put up thousands of homes on functionally obsolete roads. You have roads where your tires are touching the white line on both sides and when a car is coming at you then you have to drive in the grass. 4 more inches to your right is a ditch. That takes a tad of skill.

Ahhh nothing we can do about it except complain ad shout death to all govt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manvel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for some good people for a fun retail job! Oct 7 SharkMan 1
News Pearland 5th grader protesting pledge of allegi... Sep 28 OverTaxed 1
News Terrell Unit searched, administration changed (May '08) Sep 21 Mikey sister 11
Fresno County Mugshots and Criminal Arrest Records Sep 21 Phil 2
Review: I Love Kickboxing Sep '16 Barb Ramirez 8
News Texas mom of transgender child wants school to ... Aug '16 Sneaky Pete 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994

Manvel Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manvel Mortgages