Memories of Holgate

Memories of Holgate

There are 1 comment on the CNN story from Nov 2, 2012, titled Memories of Holgate. In it, CNN reports that:

I spent more than just summers there - I spent every weekend of my youth taking the two hour drive in the back of the station wagon as the trip unfolded in stages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

Susan Allen Mikuletzky

Fort Pierce, FL

#1 Nov 3, 2012
It was 1962 and I was 12. We lived in Beach Haven on 13th St. Summers were heaven. The day started windy, ominous grey. Somehow (I think out of boredom) a group of us kids from that area decided we were going to go to the ocean and have a look-see. We crested the high duneline and stared in fascination at an ocean that was like none we had ever viewed. Totally frightening, turbulent like never before, we were mesmerized. I stood there unable to fully comprehend what really was happening. I watched a wave break, roll UP our dune and recede. It was close. Again, another wave thundering after, It was now almost touching me. My heart was doing strange things. The next wave was coming for me. I ran to a concrete bench which in those days was at the end of every street. I jumped on it, the ocean went under it and around it this time. Suddenly, we were all screaming and shouting. When the wave receded we all went screaming down the other side of the dune. We were headed for home. We all instinctley knew that this was scary, bad and I wanted the safety of my Mom and Dad and home. We ran down the street, shouting our fear. I was about half way down the first street. I turned and looked over my shoulder--one last glance for some reason. The ocean now was on my side of the dune. My bench was gone. My Dad was a cop, My Grandfather Charles Cramer-the Mayor- we didn't leave the Island. We weren't going to whimp out. A few minutes later, my Dad came home. He was in uniform, it was wet. He had lost the cop car in Holgate to the Ocean breeching the dunes. Trying to rescue an older couple that finally decided maybe they would leave the Island afterall. I almost lost my Da. Sandy, are you a return to 1962? and can I be 12 again?? Be with God now all you Islanders as my heart and prayers are with you all. You will get over this and feel the sun in your face again. Susan Allen Mikuletzky

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mantua Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's it like in Browns Mills? (May '06) Jun 14 Stuck here 310
dunrite bulkhead company (Aug '12) Mar '16 Lou 7
Brazzi Brick Oven Pizza (Jun '10) Feb '16 Angelina 63
horny (Dec '15) Jan '16 Free Mumia 2
Review: South Jersey Turf Techs (May '15) Dec '15 Disappointed 3
News First-ever brewery in historically dry town is ... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Long time resident 2
steve B (Oct '15) Oct '15 kristinbell 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mantua Mortgages