Kill Devil Hills, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

On June 6, 2011 Dare County Commissioners will vote on a smoking ban that will create a tobacco free environment on all Dare County Government Property Buildings. This includes the parking lot and in your own personal vehicle.

The rationale provided for this ordinance is to "save" government employees, productivity of smokers vs. nonsmokers, and health care costs.

Government is continuously going too far!! We live in a country that was founded on principles of the freedom to choose our own destiny in life. To make our own personal decisions. Now the government is stepping over and over and eroding all of that little by little. Second hand smoke is a nonissue when smokers are outside in the open air. People cannot be saved who do not want to save themselves.

More importantly, this ordinance doesn't just affect government employees!! The courthouse where people going to court and potential jurors, who are forced to go there and who aren't government employees are going to be affected!!

This ordinance is ridiculous and public support is needed!! If you have time, go to the Dare County Administration building at 9:00am on June 6, 2011.
Big Daddy

Dubuque, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 1, 2011

Judged:

Finally the County is doing something that makes sense.
justice2011

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

To Big Daddy- well you're in idiot if you think that. When the government tells your big butt what you can and can't eat I wonder if you will be screaming that.
Big Daddy

Kill Devil Hills, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Government property= government rules. Your property= your rules. Keep your stinking cigs to yourself and stop polluting my air.
justice2011

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

government property is the people's property. Last time I checked, we don't live in a monarchy or a communist country. We live in a democracy. And you don't own the air and neither does the government. Have them provide a designated smoking area so everyone is happy. Or are you too selfish to care what other people want? Cell phones cause cancer, maybe we should ban them too. Oh fattening foods cause obesity, why don't we ban that too? And I would just be willing to bet you would be the first to complain if a criminal walked free after a jury trial because there was a hung jury and people were complaining about not being able to smoke.
nimby

Manteo, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Justice, what's the big deal? If you're a County Employee, then smoke when you're home. Smoke on the way to work. On your way home. During your lunch. Think of all the money you will save.(and how much better you'll smell)
Hospital campuses are also smoke free. Does that insult you too?
People like to drink, but they don't do it at work.
People like to fart, but they don't do that at work either. The polite ones, anyway.
Karpowicz

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

I agree with justice2011 especially about the juror situation and I appreciate someone saying something. With regard to Nimby, why do you care what other government employees are doing if it's not affecting you?

As an officer of the court I see another issue here that to me is more important. This ordinance doesn’t only affect government employees, it affects the general public. I understand everyone’s issues with regards to second-hand smoke and paying for health insurance costs of smokers (although they already pay more for their health insurance now). Unfortunately if this ordinance is passed it will affect everyone who is required to be at the courthouse; defendants, witnesses, and jurors. Jurors are summoned and required to be present during a trial session in superior court. There are no exceptions. So for those who are required to be here all week long, they too will be subject to these regulations. The administration of justice and how the deliberation process can ultimately be affected is an important consideration that the public needs to consider. On our last jury trial in April, 5 out of the 12 jurors smoked. Sometimes that deliberation process takes hours upon hours to reach a verdict. Whether you like it or not, nicotine addiction is a reality and I’m not comfortable with the idea that justice could be affected solely because one man determines that Dare County government employees need to quit. Have a designated smoking area for everyone so that non-smokers won’t be affected and make everyone happy.
Quietly

Kill Devil Hills, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

nimby wrote:
Justice, what's the big deal? If you're a County Employee, then smoke when you're home. Smoke on the way to work. On your way home. During your lunch. Think of all the money you will save.(and how much better you'll smell)
Hospital campuses are also smoke free. Does that insult you too?
People like to drink, but they don't do it at work.
People like to fart, but they don't do that at work either. The polite ones, anyway.

I like to let out one of those nasty, quiet farts just before the doors open to let me OUT of the elevator.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Manteo Discussions

Search the Manteo Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 4 min Waco 1909 56,572
WNC fracking? Unlikely but still unsettling Wed Pro Equalty 25
tires Wed So fa king clueless 8
Why no traffic direction at 158 & 12 on Saturdays? Wed Danger 14
CenturyLink DSL problems (Apr '11) Jul 29 Well 79
ocean rescue mp 3 Jul 28 tilechick 5
OBX Real Estate Agent Thieves (Feb '12) Jul 27 Jennifer Ross 70
•••
•••
•••
•••

Manteo Jobs

•••