Cheapening Manteo
resident

Wake Forest, NC

#1 Jun 22, 2011
Is our small town starting to look tacky with the sombrero guy trying to get customers in to La Cabana and the ice cream place waving people in? The main road used to be quaint, with a small town feel. Im worried we are going to get a guy dressed up as a shrimp for the dinner crowd next. Lets keep the charm we love in our small town.
Big Daddy

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#2 Jun 23, 2011
Unfortunately, the charm was gone a long time ago.
obx bound

Lewisburg, WV

#3 Jun 23, 2011
what my husband and I find upsetting is driving down the side streets and seeing so many unkept empty homes. Manteo is such a wonderful quaint town with old world charm and I hate to see it go downhill so.
cute hotdog

Dubuque, IA

#4 Jun 23, 2011
Personally, I thought the girl in the hotdog outfit was adorable. I stopped in and checked it out because of her. But I don't live in Manteo and might not feel the same if I did...
Chris

AOL

#5 Jun 23, 2011
Charm? Maybe the waterfront and 2-3 blocks in from there. The rest of it is a dump.
manteo resident

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#6 Jun 23, 2011
Chris wrote:
Charm? Maybe the waterfront and 2-3 blocks in from there. The rest of it is a dump.
I love where I live! Please don't call my town a dump!
Genie Janie

Woodbridge, VA

#7 Jun 24, 2011
Wow. We visited Manteo not 3 years ago and found it perfectly fine. We enjoyed the little shops along the waterfront with our friends and took pics.

I don't even see the "dump" look in the surrounding area. What's the beef?
Southern Shores Res

Windsor, NC

#8 Jun 24, 2011
Genie, that is because you stayed on the tourist trail. Main road and roads into the waterfront area. Take a ride down some other streets that go west. Go over neat the jail (what jail you ask). Manteo has some nice areas and many more not so nice.
Genie Janie

Woodbridge, VA

#9 Jun 24, 2011
Southern Shores Res wrote:
Genie, that is because you stayed on the tourist trail. Main road and roads into the waterfront area. Take a ride down some other streets that go west. Go over neat the jail (what jail you ask). Manteo has some nice areas and many more not so nice.
Just like anywhere else, right?
Judge Judy

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#10 Jun 26, 2011
get over yourself...if its not tacky (whatever that means)its gay..take your choice.
NutsCluelessSpam

Princeton, NC

#11 Jun 28, 2011
The guy who thought up the waving shrimp (causeway) is a lifelong Manteo resident who made major bucks off that tacky shrimp!
Blabla65

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#12 Jul 6, 2011
obx bound wrote:
what my husband and I find upsetting is driving down the side streets and seeing so many unkept empty homes. Manteo is such a wonderful quaint town with old world charm and I hate to see it go downhill so.
The reason there are "empty, unkept homes" in Manteo now is due to so many folks losing their homes to foreclosure. In that case would you keep up the property you lost because of having to pay the PRICE OF WALL STREET MESS-UPS???!!! I don't think so! Mam, careful with your JUDGMENTAL ATTITUDE from now on!
Blabla65

Kill Devil Hills, NC

#13 Jul 6, 2011
resident wrote:
Is our small town starting to look tacky with the sombrero guy trying to get customers in to La Cabana and the ice cream place waving people in? The main road used to be quaint, with a small town feel. Im worried we are going to get a guy dressed up as a shrimp for the dinner crowd next. Lets keep the charm we love in our small town.
.
IT IS TACKY! So why is it allowed?
alton

Fayetteville, NC

#14 Jul 6, 2011
I was driving home after work tonight and the Cabana place had the sombraro hat guy and someone dressed in a Micky Mouse costume. Its getting worse.

They had a kid out there they other day. Looks like an 8 year old boy. Thats not right, making the kid work.
NutsClueless Spam

Princeton, NC

#15 Jul 7, 2011
Manteo "old-timers" have their racist heads stuck so far up their backwards asses they can't smell the sun shining.

Here they're bitching about the La Cabana guys... but no mention of the stupid Realty Company-slash-ICE CREAM place (what???) who's had a cute little white gal standing outside trying to drum up business? Hmmm...
NutsClueless Spam

Princeton, NC

#16 Jul 7, 2011
Oh, I see someone did mention the ice cream gal...sorry! But still, Manteo old-timers are racist MFs from the beginning to the end. Trust me on this one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manteo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to the pay for cleaners?? Jul 28 Wow 53 8
Natural Nails thieves Jul 27 summer rental 1
Rape in Colington Jul 27 Guest 11
Coke Dealer Arrestd in Nags Head Jul 25 Richard_Johnsons_... 6
Obx (Nov '13) Jul 20 Again 19
Meth Lab. (Feb '12) Jul 9 Experienced 46
Local Politics Do you approve of Ray Sturza as Mayor? (Jun '12) Jul 7 Sinbad the Sailor 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manteo Mortgages