Final wish of terminal colon cancer fighter! Please Share!Thanks!

Posted in the Mansfield Forum

Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated May 2, 2013
JJJ

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Please share this link on your social networking sites to help spread the word to reach our goal! We understand if you can't or don't want to donate but the power or spreading this page can do wonders for us!
This is the link: https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/5f92/l...
Here is Glenda's story, please take a moment to read. Thank you so much!
The family of Glenda Johnson are hoping to raise money to help fulfill her very simple final wishes for the short time she has left with us.
My mother-in-law, Glenda Johnson, has always been a very active and hardworking woman. She has spent the last 25 years taking care of the disabled at a group home where she was their sole caretaker. She devoted her life to these individuals and loved them as her own family; she was always going above and beyond her job description.
In late October the usually active woman began really having issues that started affecting her entire life. Glenda thought she had come down with the stomach flu and that age was making it drag on. Finally, in November we were able to convince her that this wasn't normal and she needed to go get checked out. We would have NEVER in a million years expected to hear what we found out.
When we arrived at the hospital we found out that Glenda had stage 4 colon cancer which had already metastasized to the liver. Life changed dramatically for all of us since that moment.
Glenda was forced to retire from her job in a moments notice and go from being a caretaker and quickly needed someone to take care of her; which has been hard for her to accept. After seven grueling weeks of intense 24/7 chemo with a pump and radiation everyday we found out that the treatments hadn't worked at all. In fact, the cancer had spread and doubled in size and has moved into her lungs. At this point she had very little options.
She had exhausted the radiation that she could have. Surgery has never been an option. Glenda was told by her oncologist that in his medical opinion she most likely only has up to six months left to live if she wanted to forgo her last treatment option. He knew how sick and miserable she felt during her last treatment and wanted her to know she had a choice. Her only and last treatment option was taking a combination of Xeloda and Avastin in hopes it will delay the progression of the cancer simply to buy her time. She looked at my husband and I's son, James, and she wanted time with him. On this treatment Glenda's oncologist believes that she has six months to one year, he said a miracle might buy her two- but it is beyond doubtful.
This is where I am hoping you all come in and can help us raise funds to fulfill my mother-in-laws last wishes. I am not one to ask for help, especially monetarily, and even more so from strangers, but I feel this is my last resort because time is ticking and we know we have little that left with her. Glenda Johnson last wish is simple.
She wants to live with us and spend as much time as possible with her grandson. My husband and I currently live in a small two bedroom townhome which will not work for the three of us. Due to her deteriorating condition we also need to find a place that not only has three bedrooms but also does not have stairs or has a downstairs bedroom- which really is limiting our search in our budget. We need help accumulating first months rent and deposit plus enough money for a moving truck.
Before we found out about Glenda's cancer we had planned on living here for some time so we are in no position to move when it comes to savings. We are a one income household and have made sacrifices so I could be a stay at home mother and a student earning my degree in social work. Funds are always limited but at the moment time is not on our side. My husband has recently also had to take time off on FMLA to help his mother which has really hurt our monthly take-home.
Sorry

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Sorry to hear it. I will keep her in my prayers

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mansfield Discussions

Search the Mansfield Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr d pantz 29,362
Doug Mitchell child toucher!<<<< 21 hr Chester alert Stay clear 1
Anna Downs "Olive Us" business - BEWARE Sat Karma 21
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 26 Go Blue Forever 2,218
Liberals (Jul '13) Jul 26 Mansfield Fan 6
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 23 They cannot kill a Spook 231
Looking Back on 75 Years: Boyle murder called '... (Jan '08) Jul 16 HMT 25
•••
•••
•••
Mansfield Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mansfield Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••