Proposed Motor Cross Park In King Wil...

Proposed Motor Cross Park In King William

There are 2734 comments on the WTVR Richmond story from Jan 16, 2008, titled Proposed Motor Cross Park In King William. In it, WTVR Richmond reports that:

Too much traffic, too much noise and a negative impact on the environment. That's exactly what neighbors in King William County say will happen if the county approves a new motocross sports complex.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTVR Richmond.

First Prev
of 137
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

aylett,va

#2934 Mar 12, 2011
I was neither for the motocross or against it. All I can say is that if people in the county want to continue to have or enhance services and not pay higher taxes, then we are going to have to do something. If we keep kicking everything that wants to come in here out, then we will end up bankrupt. I love the rural atmosphere in the conty but unfortunately we have to bring develepment in the county to keep us from drowning in taxes. The funny thing was seeing NO MOTOCROSS in areas that were no where near the proposed sight. And I also have to question the exact reason that female doctor was so dead set against it. I have a feeling that it had less to do with her wanting to preserve King William and more to do with her wanting to one day develop the tract of land she owned. But it appears that it is dead in the water now, so it is, what it is. Hope something else comes along soon to help us with out taxes.

Since: Oct 08

Mechanicsville, VA

#2935 Mar 14, 2011
KW doesn't "keep kicking everything that wants to come in here out." The BOS approved a measure that would allow helecopter landings in the industrial park, which could lead to a repair facility and several good paying jobs (plans are probably on hold until the economy sorts itself back out). The gas pipeline is a step in the right direction, as it serves the existing Nestlé Purina plant and could lead to other business interests locating along the 360 corridor. If you want to look at the incentive KW offers business's, just look at the real estate assessments for business property compared to residential. Even though the BOS didn't vote for a massive tax decrease for business, by accepting the re-assessments in 2008 that is what they effectively did. Its only now, with the farce of the "they were wrong in 2008 so now they are right in 2010" re-assessments that this is coming to light.

There was nothing funny about the NO MOTOCROSS signs anywhere within the county. The track, as originally proposed, would have affected the entire county. What few jobs (mostly part time or volunteer) it would bring would be offset by lower property values and decreased tax revenues overall, not to mention additional strain on county emergency services and law enforcement. Their are no hotels in the county that would benefit from guests visiting the track. Area gas stations might pick up a bit more business, but is that what KW needs?

Why question why anyone would fight against a development that would devalue your property? Dr. Gwathmey's land was at the epicenter of the issue, as their right-of-way crossed her property and bordered the proposed development. What if she did one day want to develop her property? As long as her plans were within the by-right bounds of the zoning ordinances, that is her right, isn't it? A MX track would limit her options. I dare say most people in the county would be against something like this if it took place on a neighboring parcel.

If you are truly worried about your taxes, worry about Smurfit-Stone. If their new owners close up shop, then we're all in a world of trouble.
whatmotocrosstra ck

Glen Allen, VA

#2936 Mar 14, 2011
gotmildots wrote:
I was neither for the motocross or against it. All I can say is that if people in the county want to continue to have or enhance services and not pay higher taxes, then we are going to have to do something. If we keep kicking everything that wants to come in here out, then we will end up bankrupt. I love the rural atmosphere in the conty but unfortunately we have to bring develepment in the county to keep us from drowning in taxes. The funny thing was seeing NO MOTOCROSS in areas that were no where near the proposed sight. And I also have to question the exact reason that female doctor was so dead set against it. I have a feeling that it had less to do with her wanting to preserve King William and more to do with her wanting to one day develop the tract of land she owned. But it appears that it is dead in the water now, so it is, what it is. Hope something else comes along soon to help us with out taxes.
Obviously you didn't or don't live anywhere near the proposed location, because if you did, you'd have much bigger worries than your taxes. I applaud Dr. Gwathmey for her valiant efforts against some pretty nasty tactics, and for her apparent victory over those tactics.
Some TROLLS never change

Marietta, GA

#2937 Jan 31, 2012
The Citizens for the Future of King William County (defined in the past as the "NO" group of Motocross) where are they now and what are they addressing as concerns of KW citizens? Perhaps someone should define the group’s effort - both current and future. The current web site is old and dated so this info is not available.

What appears to be the current image is they are just a "NO" group of the past that battled an old past issue. Can you point to anything else they are currently doing in the community for the good of KW?

I have suggested as a comparison the group pointed out pollution from a proposed Motocross track. I am suggesting as a comparison the truck traffic on Route 30 is a nuisance and the plant in West Point pollutes the environment. How can the group in the past point to pollution in one area - but ignore it in another? Do they not really care about pollution if it provides jobs?

Yes the paper plant employees KW residents, but it still pollutes the air and the river.

Since: Oct 08

Mechanicsville, VA

#2938 Jul 24, 2012
"Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

King William County Board of Supervisors voted 4-0 to delete "Motocross track" as a permitted use in AC districts at last night's meeting.
So long motocross

Glen Allen, VA

#2939 Aug 6, 2012
It's about darn time!! Good-bye developers, good-bye motocross, and hello to a BOS with some common sense, judgment and responsible decision making skills. Any comments from the peanut gallery? Didn't think so....
So long motocross

Glen Allen, VA

#2940 Oct 9, 2012
Still nothing but the sound of crickets from that devoted, "never say die" motocross family and the developers they touted as such pillars of the community, committed to improving our county and the lives of our youth. Doesn't surprise me. When there was no money to be made, all they left was a trail of dust. But at least it's not motocross dust blowing towards my house! So long, KW Morrison!!
No nothing in KW

Marietta, GA

#2941 Oct 23, 2012
So long motocross wrote:
Still nothing but the sound of crickets from that devoted, "never say die" motocross family and the developers they touted as such pillars of the community, committed to improving our county and the lives of our youth. Doesn't surprise me. When there was no money to be made, all they left was a trail of dust. But at least it's not motocross dust blowing towards my house! So long, KW Morrison!!
No Motocross track, many foreclosures in county, non existent home sales and above average decline in property values.

You won't have to worry about anything new coming to KW anytime soon - just dont try to sell your home or undeveloped property anytime soon.

All is now quite since we took care of this "big" problem.
BooHoo

Mechanicsville, VA

#2942 Oct 24, 2012
"many foreclosures in county" - where have you been the past 4 years? We've had an epidemic of foreclosures all across the USA. KW wasn't immune to these problems, so of course we've had many foreclosures in the county. Nothing like stating the obvious.

"non existent [sic] home sales" - I'll admit they have been slow, and some properties don't seem to have any buyers, but non-existent? I don't think so.

"above average decline in property values" - compared to what? National average, state average, central VA average, or neighboring counties?

Since we're just throwing generalities out there with no concrete numbers to back them up, what about the possibility that at least part of the decline in property values was the specter of a MX track being built? Despite the MX supporters who claimed they would love living next door to a MX track, they are an exceedingly small minority – any sane person would run away from a real estate deal with the possibility of a MX track being built. Fewer potential customers, lower property values.

Maybe with the MX monkey off KW’s back, the county can get back to more important things.
MissingthePoint

Marietta, GA

#2943 Oct 27, 2012
I like the catchy name...

Rural County with values declining more than local areas or national average... fact. New home sales - dead in the county - fact. Foreclosures move - but only if less than 150K. I can go on and on... My tract of land is only good for land lease for farming - has lost 25 percent of peak value.

With or without a Motocross track this is a huge future problem for residents of the county and for future tax receipts.

Stop with the motocross chorus -poor county adminstration planning, low density zoning from previous clueless supervisor board and planning office - the list goes on and on. Most of the current board has no idea on how to grow the county in the years to come.

Kenneth

Portsmouth, VA

#2945 Nov 3, 2015
Bring it on I live in kingwilliam it would be nice to have not to go vary far and getting into less trouble for riding in my neighborhood
NoMotoCross

Mechanicsville, VA

#2946 Jan 21, 2016
Y'all already brought it. Got your butt kicked. Go play in the road.

Since: Apr 08

United States

#2947 Jan 24, 2016
NoMotoCross wrote:
Y'all already brought it. Got your butt kicked. Go play in the road.
wow........this debate was over years ago....but theres always that one.. taxes one of the highest in the area...school system 2nd rate...fire and ems under manned and under funded -police under manned and under funded .....yeah......you won!!!
Resident

Mechanicsville, VA

#2948 Feb 25, 2016
Richard Watts wrote:
<quoted text>
...school system 2nd rate...
King William County Schools are ranked 29th out of 131 districts in Virginia. The town of West Point has the #1 ranked school in all of Virginia. Stick to something you know about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 137
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manquin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grotto Jul 18 Lucky 93 1
Grotto Jul 12 Papi63 1
Little Tangents - Worst Band EVER!!!! Jul 9 Wendy Parker 1
Amy spears Jun '17 Karmaisapuss 1
Terry Cody Hewell (Mar '14) Apr '17 Taylorann 5
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Virginia (... (Oct '10) Jul '13 Bad Penny 50

Manquin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manquin Mortgages