Proposed Motor Cross Park In King William

Full story: WTVR Richmond

Too much traffic, too much noise and a negative impact on the environment. That's exactly what neighbors in King William County say will happen if the county approves a new motocross sports complex.
Comments
1 - 20 of 2,734 Comments Last updated Oct 27, 2012
First Prev
of 137
Next Last
David Villalpando

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2008

Judged:

This is a great idea . Motocross is such a family oriented sport and to have a track close by is a good idea . The local business's will thrive on the families and riders who will need food to eat and gas to travel . This is a win win !
Jon Cox

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2008

This is the dumbest idea King William county every came up with, other than building a reservoir for Newport News. The developers want to allow the consumption of alcohol at the events - doesn't sound like "family oriented" is part of their agenda.

King William needs local business - not a motocross park that may benefit hotels and restaurants in surrounding counties. This proposition is only a win for the developers - the residents who will have to live with the noise and traffic will loose.
Donna Kellum

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

This is a family sport, please get the facts on this sport and don't be swayed by opinions from the opposition. Consumption of alcohol is just one of the many tactics be used to turn people against this. We are a motocross family,and have been to many races and there is no police presence, consumption of alcohol or any other negative enviromental impacts. Just children enjoying a sport they love, and we love. Support the youth of america!!!!
Cathy

Glen Allen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2008

Donna Kellum wrote:
This is a family sport, please get the facts on this sport and don't be swayed by opinions from the opposition. Consumption of alcohol is just one of the many tactics be used to turn people against this. We are a motocross family,and have been to many races and there is no police presence, consumption of alcohol or any other negative enviromental impacts. Just children enjoying a sport they love, and we love. Support the youth of america!!!!
So if there is no alcohol consumption, why is it even sold or allowed at the event? And just how close is YOUR house to the proposed track???
Donna Kellum

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

Cathy,
There is never alcohol sold at these motocross events. The majority of participants are between the ages of 8-16, they must be accompanied by their parents. We do not take our children out to participate in this sport and drink alcohol, just like you would not see other parents take their children to play baseball or football and drink alcohol. This is not NASCAR, this is a family sport. I live approx 6 miles to the proposed track. If you are interested in speaking with me about motocross, and getting facts straight about the families involved with it, and are tired of the misleading information given by the opposition. Please send me an email as to how I can contact you. dkellum84@aol.com
Thank You
Thomas Payne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

It seems to be a repetitive thing with "the noise and the traffic". Its easy to repeat what everyone else says. Whats so different between the noise of my bike and the noise of the neighbors lawn mower at 6am that burns so much smoke it engulfs him. This has nothing to do with alcohol being sold at events. That's just made up slander. I am all for it. What ever happend about caring for our youth. Give kids a chance to do something besides drugs or getting in trouble. This track could bring a lot of good to the county. If you want to have a successful county you need to take risks, be receptive, and be flexible. I think a lot of people are afraid of change wether it affects them or not.
Let us ride.
Thomas Payne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

by the way, i live in fredericksburg not Tamaroa,IL. i go down to richmond all the time to spend my money and see friends.
Jack K

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

I don't know what, if any regulations for the propose track will be however, it it's true that alcohol is not prohibited - it should be prohibited. The track concept is great, many people, including those not YET into the sport, will enjoy it. Perhaps there could be some SMALL fee for the facility (membership, use, upkeep) and part of those monies can go back to the communities of those who are opposed to the idea - perhaps this could be a solution?? I hope it flies!
tool

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

let them build it..
love the sound
Frank Cammarata

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Motocross kept me out of trouble as a kid. I didn't have time for (underage) drinking, there were too many races. It is sad to see tracks getting turned down. A legal place to ride is a beautiful thing. Sound limits can be enforced, the environmental impact can be contained, and the local community can benefit with a place to bond and engage in life instead of being passengers. Good luck to everyone involved in making this track happen.
Matt

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

The people of that area need to think about the revenue that it could bring to the surrounding areas.

I think it is a great idea!
ZACH

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

The Richmond area is long overdue for a motocross track. I work for a dirtbike dealership here in town and i cant even count how many people ask me where to ride on a daily basis. This would help out the economy and as other people have said it is a family friendly sport. To those who are concerned about the noise, It isnt that loud!
Chad

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

I think this is a great idea for kids and adults alike. It will offer the opportunity for individuals to learn and practice riding a motorcycle in a controlled environment.
RDZombie

Sterling, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

im tired of getting busted for bootlegging on private/gov property. WHERE THE HELL ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO RIDE. dont want us bootlegging,?, give us somewhere legal to ride!
Lo_Pro

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Let's build a new shopping center instead so our children have nothing but drugs, and violence to look forward to. There are a lot of adults that love to ride too. Too loud...is it?
Lo_Pro

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

I'd take the 1.5 hour ride often to hit that place. Your town would get the support ( and money ) of a lot of the surrounding area's of VA as well
nick

Mechanicsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

People need a legal riding spot. The sport is growing and if we dont have legal places to ride we'll ride where we can find. We don't like breaking the law but there's no choice. Kids also need an outlet, if we don't support positive things kids will find things not so positive.So quit ya bithcin' and lets ride
kareem

Rockville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

hell yea i think they should build a track for kids and adults to ride on because there are no places to ride near by and as soon as you get on the street someone calls the police. Sometimes u just have to run from the police to keep ur bike
Anthony from Thurmont

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Motorcross is family oriented fun sport. Anyway, the AMA has resricted the sound level for any motocross bike that competes in 2008. I say build the track and give the kids another option besides skateboarding or being fat couch-potatoes!
Tim Dodge

Centreville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

Iím so sick of people who don't know anything about motocross whining about how horrible it is. There are so few places to ride now, and if you find one it's probably illegal to ride there. All of the people against it come up with every stupid reason they can to stop off roaders . Oh no, it'll be loud ....you do realize that there aren't 24/7 races right? Most dirt bikes don't have headlights, so there goes night races. Whiny people already got rid of loud 2 stroke powered motocross bikes. You swear it's going to be as loud as NASCAR or something (oh, by the way, Richmond has the Richmond international speed way, but everyone is fine with that aren't they). How many things do the whiners need to take from us before they'll be happy? All we want is somewhere where we can ride without doing it illegally. Get over yourselves.

There is a small patch of woods near my house that I used to ride in , Iíve been riding there for 16 years , but some up tight old lady moved in near it and now if she even sees you on a bike she calls the cops . she canít walk up there on her own , and my bike is very quiet so sheís obviously doing it just to be annoying . this kind of thing is common place . who cares that I rode there for 16 years , not once hearing a complaint from anyone (even the police who knew I was there and told me they didnít care). now I donít ride there just to avoid the hassle , I have nowhere to ride , how is that fair ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 137
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Manquin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3rd man sentenced in theft of Va. Guard equipme... (May '12) Mon firsthandknowledge 13
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
Review: Romp n' Roll Jul '14 Anonymous 1
Power Abuse Jun '14 Howard Kang 4
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr '14 Jim 1,433
Should You Install Security Cameras In Company ... Apr '14 Anonymous 1

Search the Manquin Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Manquin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Manquin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE