Korean hemorrhagic fever (Hantavirus)

Korean hemorrhagic fever (Hantavirus)

Posted in the Manor Forum

Mike

Austin, TX

#1 Dec 24, 2008
hello,

first off i want to say i have yet to use these forums and i can only hope that i will be able to get some decent information about a specific concern to the areas in and around Manor TX.

Me and my roomates moved into shadowglen in March 08. At the time we were very excited to move into a house after having lived in a cramped apartment for the previous 7 months. In the rush to move in, we did not notice the very obvious signs of a possible rodent infestation. Of course i immediately filled out the information in a conditions report provided by our landlord as well as sanitized every area that had mouse droppings.

For 9 months, everything was just fine.

About 1 week ago my roommate said he heard a mouse in his room squeaking and moving around. Eventually, we saw it. We were able capture and release one, then another of them FAR from the house. it seems they continue to crop up by getting in our house from the garage door. we have since laid humane traps and are in the process of getting professional help to seal and sanitize the house.

To the point of my post: the area of shadowglen is a VERY ripe environment for these creatures. it is quite apparent that I am not the only with with such health concerns. I am reaching out for some honest information about possible Hantavirus reports in the area of Manor TX. I do not feel i was given this important information before i moved in and i wanted to know more it.

I am from New Mexico originally and you can trust that we take this kind of concern very seriously. this is no joke considering the amount of children and elderly that live in my area of shadowglen. simply put, i am very concerned about someone contracting a disease from these rodents <obviously me and my close more specifically>

TL:DR - We have rodent problems and are living in shadowglen. I have a few questions for anyone willing to answer.

Is anyone else having the same issues?
Has there been past reports of health problems contracted from rodents in this area?
Is the community active in acknowledging and taking steps to minimize the risk of living this hotbed of rodent activity?

i would expect appropriate, honest and on-topic responses.
Thank you for reading.
Hanta

Pflugerville, TX

#2 Dec 27, 2008
I encourage you to read up on the information provided by the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/...

There are 33 confirmed cases of this disease in Texas, but no county information is available. There is a Texas contact available and a phone number that you can call for more information.

My neighbor and I have a field mouse problem in our garage. I have had very good luck with passion, and my neighbor uses glue traps. If you continue catch and release, you will continue you to have this problem in your house.

Also, if you do not prevent them from coming on the garage, the problem will not stop. I took some fine wire mesh and placed it at the bottom corners of my garage door, molded it to the opening and spray foamed over it. It has been quite effective.

As far as your landlord situation goes, I don't think you have a case, except you can probably request that he/she has a professional perform a rodent exclusion service on the rental property....

Good luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
None home no alarm easy to get into 8 min Fart Alarms 2
Believe Me 11 hr Fart 2
Sat I FARTed 1
Camp la Junta Falsely Claims Accreditation Sat Fart Campers 2
3 dogs loose right NOW- Presidential Meadows Feb 1 Rachael 1
Has anyone seen Mark Castro anymore (Mar '11) May '17 Xoxox 2
Glen Clark - baseball player for the Austin Braves (Jan '15) Jan '15 pgustaf249 1

Manor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manor Mortgages