Wanting to Relocate

Oakvale, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

My family and I are considering leaving WV and were very interested in Austin, TX. What's it like there? Here in WV there are so many drugs, I don't want my children growing up around them. Around here, too many children grow up and do nothing but drugs, OD, and sell drugs. That seems to be all there is here. WV is the poorest and saddest state, and has the highest incidences of COPD, Diabetes, Hypertension, and many others. Most of the population is on welfare and jobs are very hard to come by, much less a decent wage.
It's a beautiful state and I love the beauty of the mountains. But I need to get my children out of here. There is nothing for them.
Are the people who live in Austin happy? How are the crime rates? Employment rates?
Austinrealtor

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Austin is an amazing place to raise children! There are always positive creative and athletic or musical activities for them. Great camps during the summer.
There are approximately 1000 people moving to Austin/week and they are moving here because there are jobs.
And to answer your questions...people here are happy and friendly.
Finding a place to live can be challenging because so many people are moving here.
I can help you with that challenge.
Wanting to Relocate wrote:
My family and I are considering leaving WV and were very interested in Austin, TX. What's it like there? Here in WV there are so many drugs, I don't want my children growing up around them. Around here, too many children grow up and do nothing but drugs, OD, and sell drugs. That seems to be all there is here. WV is the poorest and saddest state, and has the highest incidences of COPD, Diabetes, Hypertension, and many others. Most of the population is on welfare and jobs are very hard to come by, much less a decent wage.
It's a beautiful state and I love the beauty of the mountains. But I need to get my children out of here. There is nothing for them.
Are the people who live in Austin happy? How are the crime rates? Employment rates?
customer pEC

Calhoun, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

Judged:

Do your home work! Down town Austin has a lot of crime lots of drugs hookers read the local paper American statesman
sigh

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2013

If you're a liberal, you will love Austin.
Austinite

Pflugerville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Born and raised in Austin. Been here since 1962 and before 1990 would say move here. Now since the city declared itself a safe have for all illegal aliens the school system and social services are overworked and third rate as are healthcare services unless you are private pay then private schools and hospitals are great.
Downtown is a sewer rife with all the homeless vagabonds at the city as well as Salvation Army shelters downtown. Robbery, rape, and murder from these people as well as others is not unsual. Not a daily thing but is fairly frequent.
Police are a joke, they watch cameras mroe than police the streets and would rather let a drunk leave a bar, drive off then stop the drunk, if they actually find the drunk.
Drugs have always been all over this city. No more now than before, is afterall a university town with a large transient population of vagabonds and illegal aliens/drug cartels.
Cost of living will be higher to be sure, property taxes are sky high because all the city give aways to the vagabonds, illegal aliens, and corporations here. When I bought my house practically next to UT Austin in 1985 taxes were just under 2K and the house valued at 120K. Last year my house was valued at $348,16.38 with a tax bill of $10,374.18 with roughly 2/3 being school taxes, for all the illegals overcrowding AISD. House tripled in estimated value but more than quadrupled in taxes.
The music scene was once vibrant but in the past 25 years and certainly the last 15 the city has demolished classic venues for high end high rises and office buildings and even enacted outrageous sound ordinances downtown.
I am retired from 25 years of military service and my wife will retire from her job in 5 years. We are so outta here as by then our youngest will be done with university and move out of the nest.
Don

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

Overall Austin really Isn't a bad place to live. It has the live music and tourism, but some negatives too like all cities. What I suggest is maybe coming down for a few days so you can see for yourself. Maybe you will like what you see.
Austinrealtor

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2013

customer pEC wrote:
Do your home work! Down town Austin has a lot of crime lots of drugs hookers read the local paper American statesman
I live Downtown and can tell you, you clearly have it wrong.
Wanting to Relocate

Oakvale, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

Wow...definitely need to do my homework...thank you for your honest answers.
Austinite

Pflugerville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Austinrealtor wrote:
<quoted text>
I live Downtown and can tell you, you clearly have it wrong.
You must insulate yourself by denial or are something else.
Just this past weekend a gang of men gunned down a man downtown.
Not far from downtown, also this weekend three men are being sought by police and a fourth detained in the stabbing of a fifth man.
The police have also requested at least 116 more officers to patrol for all the rapists and such on the downtown hike and bike trails if the city plans on keeping them open overnight and also to combat crime in general in the city.
Wanting to Relocate

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Wow....it's easy to read about places online but until you talk to the locals, you don't really get the chance to find out the nitty gritty. I have exhausted myself trying to find anything bad about the area and haven't been able to find out how it really is.
Austinite

Pflugerville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

I would not say it is any worse than any other city of same size or so. It is not all roses like some claim it to be. You just have to decide for yourself. Just read the local news online and put a picture together of all the good, bad, and ugly.

Since: Jul 07

PARK RIDGE IL.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Move whereever you want in the country and Austin I'm sure has its problems.

Just love all these clowns who come on these forums asking such idiotic questions.

"Are the people who live in Austin Happy?" So halarious.
Jordan

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

MIKETOUHY wrote:
<quoted text>Move whereever you want in the country and Austin I'm sure has its problems.
Just love all these clowns who come on these forums asking such idiotic questions.
"Are the people who live in Austin Happy?" So halarious.
Yeah I mean the best way to figure those questions out are to maybe take a vacation there and get to know the locals, see If you like the atmosphere and ask people in-person.
from WV

Hartley, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

From WV originally and live in Austin currently. Come down and check it out. I love Austin. Born and raised in the Kanawha metro area and it has way more problems than Austin. Austin is peaceful compared to the Appalachian region. Yeah Austin has its problems, but it doesn't even compare.
El Cid

Pflugerville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Backwoods Heathen wrote:
A shame Leslie passed away, he would love some new meat from the Kanawha Valley.
Leslie was not from Austin, moved here in 1995 as I recall.
He was a nice guy and sad that he died because he always seemed to lighten up downtown.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Manor Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Manor Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••