First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anonymous

Morgantown, WV

#1 Jul 19, 2011
There is a lot of drilling going on in the area, and will be a lot more....question is....is it really worth the amount of destruction that goes along with it.
Roads, environment, and property are being destroyed. Clean water is dissapearing and being replaced with cancer laden fracking water. Currently there are no inspectors or laws that control the big gas companies and drillers, and they are running rampant.
If you go online and research the practice, you will find many reports of spills, water table destruction, and the damage being done.
All one has to do is watch the movie 'Gasland' to get an overall idea, as to what the long term affect that has come from this practice.
More and more people and communities are starting to take action against these drilling companies, some to the extent of putting a halt to it and suing.

Give some opinions......no ignorance or immaturity please.....
Herman

Clarksburg, WV

#2 Jul 20, 2011
chickenwing wrote:
There is a lot of drilling going on in the area, and will be a lot more....question is....is it really worth the amount of destruction that goes along with it.
Roads, environment, and property are being destroyed. Clean water is dissapearing and being replaced with cancer laden fracking water. Currently there are no inspectors or laws that control the big gas companies and drillers, and they are running rampant.
If you go online and research the practice, you will find many reports of spills, water table destruction, and the damage being done.
All one has to do is watch the movie 'Gasland' to get an overall idea, as to what the long term affect that has come from this practice.
More and more people and communities are starting to take action against these drilling companies, some to the extent of putting a halt to it and suing.
Give some opinions......no ignorance or immaturity please.....
Who cares as long aas we make money from it? Just my opinion.
no Ignorance

Morgantown, WV

#3 Jul 20, 2011
Gas drilling can be a risky/dangerous business. As was (and is) Coal mining in its earlier days. The fact of the matter is ALOT of big investors/corporations stand to make alot of money if drilling laws are passed, and stand to lose 100's of millions if drilling is banned. However, Shell oil, Chesapeak oil, and etc., are not new companies at doing this. They openly admit they have made mistakes in the past, and dont try to hide it. I myself have seen their "mistakes", not only by my own eyes, but shown to me on a guided tour led by the same company who caused it!! They know how they have screwed up in the past, and know what to, and what not to do. Ground water can get polluted, but at the depth that these companies are drilling, it goes far beyond that of the water table (so any contaminated water never actually makes contact with well water). Any water pumped in to these wells to "frack" the rock, not only gets pumped out, but is taken to a special water treatment facility, because standered water treatment facilities (like those found in most bigger cities)can NOT get out all of the contaminants. This is something they learned from some of their mistakes. I seen their drill sights myself, which house more safety inspectors and ecological engineers than actual laborers. These companies realize not only the enviormental impact that they can cause, but also the economical impact. I do believe thay are taking the right steps to safely extract the gas, and also create much needed jobs in the WV area. I just hope ignorant misinformed liberalist/ "enviormentalist" doesnt go "screwing the pooch" for the rest of the West Virginians how need these jobs!!
Dmn Straight

Folsom, WV

#4 Jul 21, 2011
"and also create much needed jobs in the WV area"

Most of the people working doing this gas drilling around here are NOT from WV. I was told by some of the workers at one of the locations that they had someone working with them from WV a while back but he didn't even last a day.

These men working here are from all over Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Mississippi.. to name a few.
Huge Supporter

Shinnston, WV

#5 Jul 21, 2011
I support my oil field trash, and that happens to be my whole family- brothers, daddy, husband, ect. They need jobs just as well as anyone else, same as the miners!!! The Frac water is not healthy, but that is why there are DEP officers, such as my daddy.. there to make sure it's going where it's supposed to and not polluting our water!! Just an opinion, but it's hard for anyone to find decent jobs with the economy now a days so, why try to take away the ones we have already.
drill here drill now

Terra Alta, WV

#6 Jul 21, 2011
Also a huge supporter of our oil field trash! Nothing is sure proof in any job anymore and even with the coal mining industry there are major dangers and risks. The benefits outweigh the risks in my opinion! It so happens to be many family's way of living and I say we continue drilling here in the USA, not oversees and keep our jobs right here! The oil and gas well inspectors are very well knowledgeable and trained in what they do. They must have years of experience in the field itself before they can even apply and take the exam for the state. They make sure they follow through with every complaint they receive and are always available, even on their time off, so they are 24/7. The frac water goes to a special treatment facility to be dumped and filtered. If a complaint arises that an individual suspects brine water (frac water) in their wells or streams, they call on the state inspector who goes and retrieves water samples to test. If anything comes back that it is in fact brine water, the companies are fined and some are even halted, until they show proof they have fixed the problem! I support all my rig pigs and oil field trash proudly!
Anonymous

Morgantown, WV

#7 Jul 22, 2011
I just want to know one thing. How much is your health worth? Your families health? You donít seem to argue that fossil fuels cause problems so at what cost do they become worthwhile? I mean, what good is having a job or a thriving economy if you canít drink the water? No one on your side of the argument seems to be able to look past the next couple years or so.. I am not anti gas or coal. I am Health and Environment first and everything else comes after though.

The very same thing was said back in the 50's-60' with all of the strip mining going on in northern WV. "It creates jobs", "We need the energy", "It will not harm the environment", etc.
News flash, when the drilling is done, the jobs will be gone, and all that will be left is the impact that the drillers created.
How many millions of dollars have been spent cleaning up after the mining industry, and we are still having to treat rivers to counteract the poisening by acid runoff.

Anyone that doesn't think that there are any ramifications from Fracking, just google "Fracking pollution"...and see how many articles that are posted....OPEN YOUR EYES.....strange how some people could care less about their childrens health and future, as well as the environmental destruction, just so they can buy a new Hummer, or put some money in their pockets....SAD !!!!!

Maybe you should have a talk with Rick Cain about how there is no problem.....
No POint

Morgantown, WV

#8 Jul 22, 2011
Chickenwing, I believe it was you that said,
"Give some opinions......no ignorance or immaturity please.."

People have been giving their insight, and opinion in the matter, which obviously doesnt coraspond with your agenda/ideals. Just because someone doesnt believe everything they read off the internet, or what they saw in a movie, does NOT make them a bunch of "Hummer driving, ecologically ignorant, money hungry bastards". People who DO believe everything printed, emailed, or filmed are ususally called sheep.
But.....if you have a better suggestion on how to jump start the economy, better WV's living conditions, look for an alternative source of fuel/energy. Then by-all-means, let us know. I think you need to re-read no ignorance's statement, open your mind up, and quit hugging them trees that cause the U.S.A to go to foreign soil for its economic and fuel needs. Of course your entitled to your opinion, just as I am mine. Only beleive half of what you see, and nothing of what you "hear". Food 4 thought.
Anonymous

Morgantown, WV

#9 Jul 22, 2011
NoPoint...thank you for proving my point.....

So, what you are saying, the scientists and environmental agencies are all full of it? You won't believe what they say, but you will listen to the gas industry cronies that talk nothing but propaganda...concerning pollution, environment, and economics...lol
Do yourself a favor, and do some research (I have)..find out just how many long term jobs are being created (besides brine truck drivers)
Many, many people that have already been exposed to this practice, talk about health issues, loss of clean drinking water, death of farm animals, stream and groundwater pollution, spills, gas emissions, etc., etc., etc.
Why do you think that it has been put on hold or banned in other states??

This will only be a short term economy bump, that will go when the drillers leave, other than the few people that actually own the gas rights to the property, it will not improve the living conditions (new Hummers and Mercedes SUV's)for most WVian's.
This is NOT an alternative energy source...it's an existing fossil fuel, that still produces CO2 emmissions (not counting all of the methane that is realeased during the process)(Methane causes 10 times the ozone destruction than CO2 does)
But then again, my guess is that you don't believe in Global Warming either.

As far as the economy going overseas...that has nothing to do with Fracking, but is because of the past legislators...and for your info, most growing economies in the world are switching to green energy at a far greater pace than the US is....mainly because of all the profits that Big Oil and Gas co's are putting in legislators pockets.
That is the main drive to throw out all of the propaganda about how bad we need this gas...also the fact that almost ALL of this gas will be liquidized into LNG and sold overseas.

Please show me where I said "Hummer driving, ecological ignorant,money hungry bastards"...but sure sounds like you may have just given a description of yourself.....

Lies only make your statements have less credibility, and make you look rather foolish.
My guess is that you have your own personal agenda, and are working on getting your share of Fracking money...at the rest of the populations long term expense........

Which is worth more...1 cubic foot of natural gas, or a clean glass of water ??
1 post removed
no point

Morgantown, WV

#11 Jul 22, 2011
I dont really see how I proved your point, but whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Anyway......you have "scientist and enviormentalist" on both sides. Some saying its safe, and some saying its not. HOWEVER, Im just putting in my opinion of what I have seen WITH MY OWN EYES. Not what I read on the internet, or seen in a movie. In your previous post you did say,

"Anyone that doesn't think that there are any ramifications from Fracking, just google "Fracking pollution"...and see how many articles that are posted....OPEN YOUR EYES.....strange how some people could care less about their childrens health and future, as well as the environmental destruction, just so they can buy a new Hummer, or put some money in their pockets....SAD !!!!!"

SO hhhmmmmmmm, what would I assume you ment by that? Since I dont believe hardly anything on the internet, I guess I just care about driving my "hummer" and the money in my pocket. Opposed to my families safety and the enviorment in which we live in. A little advise, if your to stupid to remember what you posted, you probably shouldnt post anything to begin with. I bet you were one of the idiots that just lost there seat on Morgantown city council, huh? But since your in Morgantown, and Im in Morgantown, perhaps we can meet up, and discuss this like men? If so, then let me know.
no point

Morgantown, WV

#12 Jul 22, 2011
p.s. 1 cubic ft of natural gas.
TigerLily

Shinnston, WV

#13 Jul 22, 2011
Herman wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares as long aas we make money from it? Just my opinion.
Are you actually going to make money from it? I thought just the people drilling the oil and gas made the money...
drill here drill now

Farmington, WV

#14 Jul 24, 2011
no point wrote:
I dont really see how I proved your point, but whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Anyway......you have "scientist and enviormentalist" on both sides. Some saying its safe, and some saying its not. HOWEVER, Im just putting in my opinion of what I have seen WITH MY OWN EYES. Not what I read on the internet, or seen in a movie. In your previous post you did say,
"Anyone that doesn't think that there are any ramifications from Fracking, just google "Fracking pollution"...and see how many articles that are posted....OPEN YOUR EYES.....strange how some people could care less about their childrens health and future, as well as the environmental destruction, just so they can buy a new Hummer, or put some money in their pockets....SAD !!!!!"
SO hhhmmmmmmm, what would I assume you ment by that? Since I dont believe hardly anything on the internet, I guess I just care about driving my "hummer" and the money in my pocket. Opposed to my families safety and the enviorment in which we live in. A little advise, if your to stupid to remember what you posted, you probably shouldnt post anything to begin with. I bet you were one of the idiots that just lost there seat on Morgantown city council, huh? But since your in Morgantown, and Im in Morgantown, perhaps we can meet up, and discuss this like men? If so, then let me know.
agree with you no point......I would have to say that chickenwing is probably one of the Wetzel county activists. The environment is being polluted everyday with normal pollution coming from everywhere! Chickenwing, we have family's to feed and bills to pay, one of which does not consist of a hummer or a mercedes car payment, but rather simply food on our table! Keep up the good work oil field trash boys!
Anonymous

Morgantown, WV

#15 Jul 25, 2011
This goes right along with what the Coal and Oil companies did to WV at the beginning of the resources booms.
They dangle a carrot in front of your face, while doing as they please behind your back. Sad thing is, that the carrot is all that you are worried about, and the fact that you are aware of what is going on behind your back.....and could care less....
Newsflash...when the drilling is done and the companies move on...SO DO THE JOBS...

Check on how much is being spent every year to try and clean up these sites, or treat the watershed...that became totally sterile from the acid runoff.
In you opinion though, it's all ok, because you are putting a few dollars into your pocket. SAD
Even though the health and ecological ramifications have been proven over and over again.
Unlike some, I am worried about the health of my kids and the future of the world that they will be forced to live in.
My guess is that you are also fine with strip mining and MTR......

Your assumptions are totally wrong...I work for the Dept. of Energy, and see on a dailey basis the amount of destruction and pollution the comes from these companies, and this practice.
All one has to do is pick up a dailey paper and read where more and more people are getting run over by these companies. I am glad that they are concerned enough, that they are starting to fight this monopoly.

Funny that you mention the Morgantown board and the Wetzel co. people that are smart enough to stand up for personal rights...instead of being sheeple and follow a few dollars.....
GOOD FOR THEM !!
No POint

Morgantown, WV

#16 Jul 25, 2011
I weep for the Dept. of Energy.....and u still never answered my question.
drill here drill now

Farmington, WV

#17 Jul 25, 2011
No POint wrote:
I weep for the Dept. of Energy.....and u still never answered my question.
You work for the dept. of Energy and I happen to know someone personally that works for the DEP and is one of the oil/gas state inspectors. I do know they do their jobs and do whatever it takes to follow through with all complaints placed before them and take it seriously to be sure that health and safety come first. We could debate the issue all day, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion in the matter. You have yours, I have mine. Jobs are needed. The economy is in a slump and if this is a way to support our economy, then let it be. Family's are feeding their children and living off the system. That is a good thing. If you have property of your own that you don't want drilling on, then don't let them.
Anonymous

Morgantown, WV

#18 Jul 27, 2011
The WV DEP has been in the Big Oil, Gas, and Coal pockets for years...every since the Bush/ Cheney..laughable energy policies...when they suspended all clean air and water laws...mainly for Cheneys co (Haliburton...because of Fracking pollution they were causing out west)...The DEP has been and still is a joke....
Rockefeller and Manchin are trying to get a moritorium passed so they can do exactly the same thing......suspend all of the clean air and water laws for a 4-5 year period..Hmmmm wonder why ???

same goes for MTR...but I'm sure you'd be all for thaty here too , right ?? Maybe in your backyard...
Who cares of the carcinogens, metals, and acid runoff..you could put a couple bucks in your pocket...or even make a Hummer payment...just sayin...

Currently there are 17 inspectors that have to cover the whole state of WV...where there are presently over 15,000 wells being drilled. Now you want to say that everything is under a watchfull eye ???? I go to these sites on a regular basis, and rarely are any of them in full compliance. Spills occur on a fairly regular basis, mainly due to the speed at which they want to get these drillers going (before anyone can say "Wait a minute !") and they are running roughshod over anyone and everyone.

Funny that you talk about putting food on the table, when you should be worried more about keeping fresh water and stopping the pollution and ecological destruction that is growing day by day..

Newsflash...when the drillers are gone, so will the jobs with them.......
drill here drill now

Morgantown, WV

#19 Jul 27, 2011
chickenwing wrote:
The WV DEP has been in the Big Oil, Gas, and Coal pockets for years...every since the Bush/ Cheney..laughable energy policies...when they suspended all clean air and water laws...mainly for Cheneys co (Haliburton...because of Fracking pollution they were causing out west)...The DEP has been and still is a joke....
Rockefeller and Manchin are trying to get a moritorium passed so they can do exactly the same thing......suspend all of the clean air and water laws for a 4-5 year period..Hmmmm wonder why ???
same goes for MTR...but I'm sure you'd be all for thaty here too , right ?? Maybe in your backyard...
Who cares of the carcinogens, metals, and acid runoff..you could put a couple bucks in your pocket...or even make a Hummer payment...just sayin...
Currently there are 17 inspectors that have to cover the whole state of WV...where there are presently over 15,000 wells being drilled. Now you want to say that everything is under a watchfull eye ???? I go to these sites on a regular basis, and rarely are any of them in full compliance. Spills occur on a fairly regular basis, mainly due to the speed at which they want to get these drillers going (before anyone can say "Wait a minute !") and they are running roughshod over anyone and everyone.
Funny that you talk about putting food on the table, when you should be worried more about keeping fresh water and stopping the pollution and ecological destruction that is growing day by day..
Newsflash...when the drillers are gone, so will the jobs with them.......
As I said previously, we can debate the issue all day long and never agree. This country was built on the fact that it's to agree to disagree. You have your beliefs, I have mine and I support the oil field men who are working hard for us. There are risks and unwanted outcomes in everything we do.
rat

Fairmont, WV

#20 Aug 24, 2011
How long will all this last. Will the supply go away soon
Anonymous

Morgantown, WV

#21 Aug 26, 2011
"there are risks and unwanted outcomes from everything we do"

Exactly...
1 question: Are you in favor of allowing something to happen, even if it may have a serious and negative impact on your children and grandchildren, as well as generations to come...as long as it puts a couple dollars into your pocket today ??
That is exactly what is currently happening with the gas industry....and guess what, as soon as the drilling is done, so are the jobs.....but the effects will linger forever......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mannington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Tue TheTruthAlways2 4,168
Has Carolyn Nolan begged for more Tue Joey Dirty 4
Elks lodge (Mar '16) Tue what a joke 12
Are there any Ghosts in Mannington? (Jun '09) Jul 22 Casanova 189
Trump Jul 21 TheDon 5
accident at mannington park (Mar '16) Jul 21 Nincumpoop 3
How did you miss this?????? Jul 19 Yallmissedit 4

Mannington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mannington Mortgages