Are there any Ghosts in Mannington?
Love Ghost Stories

AOL

#24 Jun 12, 2009
Surely there should be more stories then these. Personal experience alone. There is alot of old houses in Mannington with alot of history. I grew up in a house with alot of activity.. shadow people, unexplainable noises and bangs. Pictures that has orbs in them. Sound kinda nutty but true.
1 post removed
earl morris

Ashburn, VA

#26 Jun 13, 2009
the only ghost in this town is a job.
1 post removed
ghostwriter

Clear Spring, MD

#28 Jun 17, 2009
The alleged witch buried at highpoint cemetary was named Sarah Jane Wetzel who died in 1913. Her tombstone is an upright obelisk with a series of steps carved into it leading downward to what appears to be a demon or dragons mouth. She was allegedly buried facing away from the rising sun as opposed to the other cemetary occupants, but closer examination reveals that the tombstone which had been knocked down was put back up backwards giving credence to the legend. Whether she was or believed she was a witch I do not know. The carving on the stone is certainly satanic, but why she would want to be or allowed to be interred in a christian cemetary if such is the case is an enigma.
yep

United States

#29 Jun 17, 2009
yep, the stone was knocked over and set back in a backward position. i have not been up highlands in years, but the best i can remember, is that the stone was very worn, and hard to read from years of weathering. you have piqued my interest. i am going to have to make a trip up there.
spooked

United States

#30 Jun 17, 2009
Stay away from the witches grave. Went up there by myself on a dare in the middle of the night and a spook jumped out and grabbed me. It was Louie Jackson.
yep

United States

#31 Jun 17, 2009
that is not funny.loui is a good man. that was wrong.
Sorry

United States

#32 Jun 17, 2009
Yes. Louie is okay. Meant no offense just kidding. If he said he went to the grave and a hunky or whitey or redneck or ku klucker or uncle tom or lilly white jumped out and scared him I would laugh.
Only in America

Clear Spring, MD

#33 Jun 17, 2009
these days the average middle class heterosexual working white man can't voice an opinion or tell a joke without being portrayed as a racist or homophobe while the special interest groups, sexual deviants and kooks can say and do what they want. To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson: I tremble for my nation when I consider that God is just.
haunted house

Uniontown, PA

#34 Jun 17, 2009
my grandmother and mother lived in the house on the corner of water and main its torn down now and a shop owned by the drays i think is there, but anyway in the 1940's they moved in my grandmother mother and step-grandfather who worked midnight shift in the mines, they were alone at night and started hearing knocking sounds all over the house. in the winter time durung a big snow it got really loud and they got a flashlight went outside hoping to catch some boys maybe playing tricks on them but there were no footprints in the snow, this is when they really became scared...so my grandmother went below in the cellar/basement part followed the knocking sounds all the way to the back ....then it stopped...she started to go back through to get out when it started again louder...she went out fast and told my mother to get in the house they stayed in the same room all night till my grandfather came home...he said they were crazy and houses just make noises...so it stopped for awhile until my mother had a friend over for the night then it started again they were all scared again and my grandmother told my grandfather they were going to have to move....which they did...when she relayed this story to some older people in mannington they told her an old gypsy woman had seances there back in the late 1800's and that the way they communicated with the dead was through a series of knocks...apparantly the qypsy woman died there and the spirits were still trying to comunicate with her....this is a true story...my mother demonstrated to me the knocks that were never answered because they didnt know how to answer...i wished i could have answered...it would have been neat....i wonder if anyone has experienced anything like that at that shop on the corner...please respond if you know these people who own it now have had the same experiences or knocks
SteventheKing

Salisbury, MD

#35 Jun 17, 2009
If K's were "knocks" would the knocks sound like
k-k-k---k---k---k---k-k-k ???. Then that would mean the ghost had burnt the candied sweet potatoes and wanted you to leave a scouring pad out to ease it's passage.

It's the only ghost rapping code I know. But there's got to me more.
1 post removed

Since: Jun 09

Clear Spring, MD

#37 Jun 18, 2009
This story doesn't take place in mannington but out 4h camp road.I was visiting with my sister yesterday when her daughter and my son ran to her steps that lead upstairs.My sisters daughter the oldest looked up the steps and was saying get away.When we asked her who she was talking to she said there was a man upstairs and he was wearing white.My son continued to point and scream.So I told my neice lets go up and I will show you there is nothing there.I tried to pick her up and she screamed and cried.I made her go upstairs; she continued to cry and said he was gone.So when we went back down the steps she looked back up and kept saying go away mister we don't want you here, they continued to do that all day.My neice is only 3 and my son is 19 months.So tell me that is not scary.
bob

United States

#38 Jun 19, 2009
out on beach street by bufflo creek , a baby died there a long time ago. in a trailer, also, several people have died in there homes, a round there. a posable haunting .
Gracie

United States

#39 Jun 19, 2009
Ghost story fan wrote:
I never even heard about willie...Please tell
Willie the ghost lived in the old Patty Looman house in Grandview. Was there for years. People would come and stay all night just to try to see something Willie did. Many people have tales to tell about their experience. Patty and her mother have many stories to tell (Mrs. Looman has passed away now.)
I know Willie did not like things to be moved and often moved furniture where he like it to be. Once moved a bed across the room because he did not like it when the owners of the house rearranged furniture. You could hear him walking at night, turning on lights after everyone else went to bed ,opening doors that where shut and locked. Many more stories. Was very active during the 1970's and 1980's. Don't know what became of Willie after Mrs. Looman died.

So, that is to answer your question about Willie. He never hurt anyone, just scared them badly.
Gracie

United States

#40 Jun 19, 2009
For those who love ghost stories around WV there is a book full of them from early 1800s until today. I think it is called "The Lilac Bush" but not sure. I could find out the title if you want. Or the Mannington Library might have it. I had a copy at one time. I loved to read it.
yep

United States

#41 Jun 19, 2009
it is called the tale tale lilac bush. one of my all time favorite books.

Since: Jun 09

Fairmont, WV

#42 Jun 19, 2009
It is called "The tell tale lilac bush."
1 post removed
ghosts

Uniontown, PA

#44 Jun 19, 2009
the best story is of the Greenbriar Ghost its the only case in history where a man was convicted of murder by a ghost it happened in greenbriar west virginia it stood up in court and it still stands to day the book is callled the tell tell lilac bush
SteventheKing

Salisbury, MD

#45 Jun 20, 2009
"Telltale Lilac Bush" by
Ruth Ann Musik
SteventheKing

Salisbury, MD

#46 Jun 20, 2009
The show "Ghost Hunter's" was in town yesterday, stayed all night at the Blackshire farm house.
Cool

Sandy Ridge, NC

#47 Jun 21, 2009
where is the blackshire farm house?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mannington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
North Marion Football 16 hr North Marion Alumni 66
school friend Tue justin 1
Trey haught Mon Hkggibbfj 4
ancestry Sun hump yer brother 3
Heard through. The grapevine... (Jan '18) Nov 17 WomanOnTheHill 15
Who is the sexist man in mannington Nov 17 Yum 8
Cody Hinerman since prison (Oct '17) Oct 25 Low Information 5

Mannington Jobs

Personal Finance

Mannington Mortgages