Sanford signs motorcycle's stoplight ...

Sanford signs motorcycle's stoplight law at ceremony

There are 21 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Jul 10, 2008, titled Sanford signs motorcycle's stoplight law at ceremony. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

Motorcyclists no longer have to wait on a stoplight that refuses to turn green, according to a new state law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Myrtle Beach

#1 Jul 10, 2008
Stupid, stupid, stupid law. And who is going to time them to make sure they wait 2 minutes. Do you really think they are going to wait ?

Since: Jun 08

Pawleys Island, SC

#2 Jul 10, 2008
This looks like a recipe for disaster. The lights are put where they are for a reason - there was a need due to the large amount of traffic at that spot and the fact that it was unsafe to proceed without a green light. When they get hit running the red light, the driver of the car is going to get the blame for not being more careful and looking out for the motorcycle.
Goldenhawk

United States

#3 Jul 10, 2008
Well it is obvious that you have never been on a motorcycle at a light. The reason this was passed is because the weight of the rider and bike are not enough to activate the sensors in the roads and we are made to wait long periods before the system finally decides to give us the green. Usually when a car or truck finally pulls to the other side of the intersection. It is not intended to just do a quick stop yield and go. We know that. We also know that when we do go, we need to yield to the traffic that has the green. Yes there will be some idiots as with any law that will cause problems but for the most part it is good.
Get out the word

Upper Marlboro, MD

#4 Jul 16, 2008
Hey STUPID!!Do you ever turn right on red? Isn't that going through a red light after you check to see if it is clear to go??...YOU PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID IT'S FUNNY
Homer Simpson

West Columbia, SC

#5 Jul 16, 2008
SaBomNim wrote:
Stupid, stupid, stupid law. And who is going to time them to make sure they wait 2 minutes. Do you really think they are going to wait ?
They will get morons like you, to stand there and stomp your feet 120 times. Once you hit 120 stomps they can run the light. It will pay more than 10cents per piece you get at the day program you attend.

Since: Jun 08

Pawleys Island, SC

#6 Jul 16, 2008
Get out the word wrote:
Hey STUPID!!Do you ever turn right on red? Isn't that going through a red light after you check to see if it is clear to go??...YOU PEOPLE ARE SO STUPID IT'S FUNNY
Then why not give EVERYBODY the right to go through a red light after they sit there for 2 minutes? In fact, why not just do away with traffic lights altogether? That would solve a lot of problems, wouldn't it? Then nobody would have to wait and we would all get where we're going a lot faster. Traffic lights were put where they were for a reason, not because somebody thought they would add to the appearance of the area.

Before you call people stupid, think about what you're saying first. To quote you, "YOU ARE SO STUPID IT'S FUNNY"

Since: Jun 08

Pawleys Island, SC

#7 Jul 16, 2008
Goldenhawk wrote:
Well it is obvious that you have never been on a motorcycle at a light. The reason this was passed is because the weight of the rider and bike are not enough to activate the sensors in the roads and we are made to wait long periods before the system finally decides to give us the green. Usually when a car or truck finally pulls to the other side of the intersection. It is not intended to just do a quick stop yield and go. We know that. We also know that when we do go, we need to yield to the traffic that has the green. Yes there will be some idiots as with any law that will cause problems but for the most part it is good.
You make some good points, but I still think it's going to cause more harm than good. The lights were put there for a reason, and for a very good reason in the Myrtle Beach area. Why not figure out a way to make the sensors more sensitive?
Homer Simpson

West Columbia, SC

#8 Jul 17, 2008
lmj29579 wrote:
<quoted text>
You make some good points, but I still think it's going to cause more harm than good. The lights were put there for a reason, and for a very good reason in the Myrtle Beach area. Why not figure out a way to make the sensors more sensitive?
hummmmmmmmm...change every sensor? That would be a massive undertaking and a very expensive one.
HELP ME

Upper Marlboro, MD

#9 Jul 17, 2008
lmj29579 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why not give EVERYBODY the right to go through a red light after they sit there for 2 minutes? In fact, why not just do away with traffic lights altogether? That would solve a lot of problems, wouldn't it? Then nobody would have to wait and we would all get where we're going a lot faster. Traffic lights were put where they were for a reason, not because somebody thought they would add to the appearance of the area.
Before you call people stupid, think about what you're saying first. To quote you, "YOU ARE SO STUPID IT'S FUNNY"
Do you even understand what this law is for? I DON'T think you do....Do you turn right on red? then I think the
"state lets you run a red light"...Don't they?
Ashmo

Tahlequah, OK

#10 Mar 27, 2009
Goldenhawk wrote:
Well it is obvious that you have never been on a motorcycle at a light. The reason this was passed is because the weight of the rider and bike are not enough to activate the sensors in the roads and we are made to wait long periods before the system finally decides to give us the green. Usually when a car or truck finally pulls to the other side of the intersection. It is not intended to just do a quick stop yield and go. We know that. We also know that when we do go, we need to yield to the traffic that has the green. Yes there will be some idiots as with any law that will cause problems but for the most part it is good.
this is a good point I mean seriously think about it!it takes a while before you can just get up and go!! I think its a great idea!! ya, of course cars have to pay attention, but they already should be paying attention anyways so I think that if they pass this law of course nobody with cars and no bikes will like it,but most people dont like anything anymore!!
mom

Ashburn, VA

#12 Mar 29, 2009
hmmm
WTH

Summerville, SC

#13 Mar 29, 2009
We'll only see MORE accidents and casualties.....

“I'm just sayin' ......”

Since: Nov 07

Elgin, SC

#14 Mar 29, 2009
WTH wrote:
We'll only see MORE accidents and casualties.....
More? Have we had any?
WideAwake2

Lexington, SC

#15 Mar 29, 2009
Granted you are gonna have some idiots who try to take advantage of this law. However there are some things that you non riding assholes aren't thinking about. Try sitting at a light at 2am on a hog in the middle of winter. Now just imagine that you're sitting there waiting patiently for this light to turn and it takes 10min. to change. With this new law in place, you'd only have to wait for 2min. When the way is clear, you can go. I understand that y'all have some concerns, however, most motorcyclists are extremely careful and vigilant because people in vehicles are not. Give the people riding some credit, they are not out there looking to die. They just want to ride with the wind in their faces.
whats new

Hartford City, IN

#16 Mar 29, 2009
lmj29579 wrote:
This looks like a recipe for disaster. The lights are put where they are for a reason - there was a need due to the large amount of traffic at that spot and the fact that it was unsafe to proceed without a green light. When they get hit running the red light, the driver of the car is going to get the blame for not being more careful and looking out for the motorcycle.
Just an FYI motorcycles don't trip the sensors in order for the lights to change that's why they made this law.
WTH

Summerville, SC

#17 Apr 1, 2009
shovelhead wrote:
<quoted text>More? Have we had any?
It's these crazy drivers......they just don't pay attention and if you're on a bike....you're domed!
WTH

Summerville, SC

#18 Apr 1, 2009
Excuse me...It's "doomed"...not doned....
Justice

AOL

#19 Apr 1, 2009
WTH wrote:
Excuse me...It's "doomed"...not doned....
Some people simply don't deserve to be let out on weekdays furlough.

“I'm just sayin' ......”

Since: Nov 07

Elgin, SC

#20 Apr 1, 2009
whats new wrote:
<quoted text>
Just an FYI motorcycles don't trip the sensors in order for the lights to change that's why they made this law.
People who don't ride just don't understand what it's like to sit there and wait for a light that you know will never change unless a car happens to come along. Before this law we had to eventually decide to run the light anyway.

“I'm just sayin' ......”

Since: Nov 07

Elgin, SC

#21 Apr 1, 2009
WTH wrote:
<quoted text>
It's these crazy drivers......they just don't pay attention and if you're on a bike....you're domed!
Not necessarily so. I started riding when I was 10 and you don't need to know how old I am now. Way older that 10. I've been down a couple times but they were my fault. But you're right about the crazy drivers. If you want to survive on a bike you develop senses you didn't know you had.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
American Pontoon. Adrienne Reyes May 22 Curious 1
New road Feb '17 LindaV 1
Hensley settlement questions (Oct '16) Oct '16 FamilyTree 1
Trump for President, He will win. watch (Aug '16) Aug '16 Cary Cottle 1
Helens Motel (May '06) Jul '16 Tormay 2
donald scott bannister is a child molester. (Dec '12) Jul '16 Survivor 7
Debate: Marijuana - Manning, SC (Sep '10) Feb '16 Kim Jones 5

Manning Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manning Mortgages