Tax on smokes may benefit uninsured

Tax on smokes may benefit uninsured

There are 4 comments on the The Post and Courier story from May 7, 2008, titled Tax on smokes may benefit uninsured. In it, The Post and Courier reports that:

“A great many South Carolinians will be helped dramatically”

As many as 200,000 uninsured South Carolinians could get health-care coverage if the state Legislature sticks to a plan to increase the cigarette tax by 50 cents a pack. via The Post and Courier

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Post and Courier.

gary simonds

Oneonta, NY

#1 May 7, 2008
do you think that any increase in taxes will go help the uninsured??? think again. they have other plans for that money. dont be fooled
Free America

Rhinelander, WI

#2 May 7, 2008
Shouldn't everyone be flipping the bill, not just smokers. I call it taxation without representation.

They are taxing a minority group to please the majority. And then taking that same money to campaign against the minority they are taxing. I would hardly call that being represented. I think you need a lesson on the foundation this country was built on.

A constitutional republic is a state where the head of state and other officials are elected as representatives of the people, and must govern according to existing constitutional law that limits the government's power over citizens. In a constitutional republic, executive, legislative, and judicial powers are separated into distinct branches and the will of the majority of the population is tempered by protections for individual rights so that no individual or group has absolute power.

Constitutional Republics are a deliberate attempt to diminish the threat of mobocracy thereby protecting dissenting individuals and minority groups from the tyranny of the majority by placing theoretical checks on the power of the majority of the population.[1] The power of the majority of the people is checked by limiting that power to electing representatives who, theoretically, are required to govern within limits of overarching constitutional law rather than the popular vote having legislative power itself. ...

United States

#3 May 7, 2008
I will not be buying any more cigarettes in South Carolina. I will buy them in Charlotte, NC, not matter how high they are. I'm tired of smokers being pushed out and now to fund their "pet projects" I will not. SC was built on tobacco., and theie are already enough give away programs for the "poor". I've been unemployed, as well as uninsured and because I'm a single white male, there was no "funding" for my medical care. They can kiss my "butt".

Camden, SC

#4 May 7, 2008
why the heck don't they raise beer taxes I mean after all it causes more problems than smokes do and for all you pencil pushing law makers you need to stop tring to raise taxes on penny anny stuff and hurting the community and go after the ones that really are hurting the community you know what i'm talking about DRUG DEALERS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Orangeburg is the worst city in the US (Apr '06) Aug '15 How bout you 96
Nikki Haley Supports Spartanburg Resettlement Aug '15 Trumpet 1
Old restaurant near Eutawville--now a bar frequ... (Jan '12) Jun '15 BLB 3
News Gerald Truesdell, Jr. (May '14) Feb '15 johndavit 3
Lisa Mahon (Dec '14) Dec '14 Good ol Kentucky Boy 1
Does anyone know if jessie young is still on th... (Dec '14) Dec '14 lonewolf 2
Summerton News & Information (Oct '14) Oct '14 groenpj 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manning Mortgages