Dayton takes message around Minnesota; GOP attacks

Gov. Mark Dayton is taking his push for a top-tier tax hike around the state today as a budget standoff with Republicans continues. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
The Analyst

Chicago, IL

#1 May 26, 2011
Secret Democrat Playbook Revealed!!!!

Insist on job/economy killing tax increases.

If the Republicans refuse, accuse them of not compromising.

If the Republicans capitulate, accuse them of breaking their promises the next election cycle.

BTW: Government is already too big. Making it bigger ala Dayton makes all the problems worse.

Since: Mar 11

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 26, 2011
I'm waiting for the shutdown. Commuter traffic around St. Paul will be so much nicer!
HeyMoron

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 26, 2011
The Analyst wrote:
Secret Democrat Playbook Revealed!!!!
Insist on job/economy killing tax increases.
If the Republicans refuse, accuse them of not compromising.
If the Republicans capitulate, accuse them of breaking their promises the next election cycle.
BTW: Government is already too big. Making it bigger ala Dayton makes all the problems worse.
RIGHT, and tax breaks for the top 5% are going to create jobs....NOT. If that were true we would not be in a jobless recovery because the tax cuts under Bush are still in place 10 years later. Get a clue.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#4 May 26, 2011
FACT: He had a balanced budget on his desk.

FACT: This balanced budget provided $2 Billion in additional spending over last year.

FACT: Government is a bloated entity that needs to go on a diet.

FACT: If there is a shut down, it is upon Gov GoogleyEyes shoulders.
Designated Driver

Saint Paul, MN

#5 May 26, 2011
I hope Governor "Boozehound" has a sober driver to get him around because based on what has been coming out of his mouth the last few days I would have to say he's been hammered by noon.
trolls

Farmington, MN

#6 May 26, 2011
Anyone else noticed how biased the title of this "article" is?
libsmottoyouwork Ispend

Hudson, WI

#7 May 26, 2011
HeyMoron wrote:
<quoted text>
RIGHT, and tax breaks for the top 5% are going to create jobs....NOT. If that were true we would not be in a jobless recovery because the tax cuts under Bush are still in place 10 years later. Get a clue.
Sounds like we have an entitlement person here and wants free things and people to work and pay for it so they don't have to. Ha....try working and living within your means.
gdpcon

Plymouth, MN

#8 May 26, 2011
HeyMoron wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you get a clue. Do you think maybe the 50 other BAD economic policy decisions made by Obummer might have had a negative impact on the economy?? Duuuhh. Look at the IRS tax revenue data; in the years immediately following the Bush tax cuts, tax revenues INCREASED by a factor hundreds of billions of $. Here's a real world example using the logical extreme method of hypothesis testing; let's see if you can follow it. Let's say you're a small business owner. Does your businesss have a greater chance of success if you could keep 90 percent of your income or 10%? Our intellectually challenged Governor thinks it is; 1. the latter and 2. the Government can grow the economy more efficiently with the component it steals. Hello - by definition, the government does not produce anything. You must have production to grow the economy.
cantmakeitup

Rogers, MN

#9 May 26, 2011
Most of the time I agree with you Irish but...
how can it be even close to balanced with an additional $2 billion in spending and no additional revenue? Not buying this as fact because both parties are corrupt and both manage to find money for their pet projects and don't really seem to care if the budget is balanced or not. Despite all of the blustering and grandstanding.
FACT: This balanced budget provided $2 Billion in additional spending over last year.
See above...they can't stop spending...it's like a disease or something.
But the Dems will cry still about all the spending "cuts". Like most of the politicians who voted on this, I have not actually read it but I think it's safe to say they are not going to cut anything that might cost them votes. Only things that will let them say.."see what we did for you?", or "see what they did to you", come election time.
Agree %150 with this statement. But much like useless airports and bridges to nowhere, no one wants to cut their personal little projects.(can you say stadium?)That's when the fear mongering usually begins. "If we cut education funding teachers will be let go and classes will become larger and your children will become dumber" or "if we cut military spending and close our air base down in HandOutAStan the terrorists will win, the communists will take over and molest your mothers and your children will become slaves".
Yes and the legislature as well. Personally I place the blame squarely on the whole lot of them for not being able to play nice together. I always go back to Gov. LePetomaine..."gentlemen. ..we've got to protect our phony baloney jobs!" (Blazing Saddles)
Tax the Rich

Saint Paul, MN

#10 May 26, 2011
Tax the rich. Let's start with the governor and his two kids. Hey, boys, the Republicans are cranking it up...can you spare another $250K out of your trust fund to donate to anti-Republican TV ads? Thanks!
Moderation is the answer

Tucson, AZ

#11 May 26, 2011
gdpcon wrote:
<quoted text>No, you get a clue. Do you think maybe the 50 other BAD economic policy decisions made by Obummer might have had a negative impact on the economy?? Duuuhh. Look at the IRS tax revenue data; in the years immediately following the Bush tax cuts, tax revenues INCREASED by a factor hundreds of billions of $. Here's a real world example using the logical extreme method of hypothesis testing; let's see if you can follow it. Let's say you're a small business owner. Does your businesss have a greater chance of success if you could keep 90 percent of your income or 10%? Our intellectually challenged Governor thinks it is; 1. the latter and 2. the Government can grow the economy more efficiently with the component it steals. Hello - by definition, the government does not produce anything. You must have production to grow the economy.
The Tax breaks for the top 5% are being invested in China Mexico India and other low wage countries. if we taxed the top 5% that money would be used to build infastructure IN Minnesota or would be used to pay for our Education system which is fast becoming like the Southeast, Arizona and other Right wing wacko states. If you look at most major American corporations you would see that thay havre been building factories in these low wage countries. 3M has 113 factories off shore and 94 IN the United States. Tax breaks to the wealthy are going to low wage countries taking jobs from the united States. RIGHT WAING WACKO'S NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!
Joe Blow

Minneapolis, MN

#12 May 26, 2011
This fool sure knows how to wast money. Just sign the dannnm budget.

“Great place to live”

Since: Jan 09

Grand Rapids, MN

#13 May 26, 2011
The correct headline: Dayton travels the state attacking Republicans, Republicaans react.
Moderation is the answer

Tucson, AZ

#14 May 26, 2011
IrishMN wrote:
You call them facts I call them Right wing Drivel, Government is bloated, What would you eliminate, Would you take more money from Education so we can become Like Missippi or Arizona????, Maybe we should take more low income people out of medicade like Arizona is doing Then we can give them care in emergency rooms causing your insurance rates to go up. Tell me why you think the wealthy should not pay their fair share, and don't give me any of that AYN RAND BS!!!!!!!!!! If tax cuts to the wealthy worked after ten years of the bush tax cuts we would all be working 10 hours a day. Just so you know one FACT Tax cuts to the wealthy are invested in low wage countries!!!!!!!!!!WAKE UP IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!
Truth

Burnsville, MN

#15 May 26, 2011
Someone tell Dayton if you give a man a fish it will feed him one meal. If you teach him how to fish he will feed himself for a lifetime. Mark, I know you are used to living off other peoples money and have never had to support yourself or your family, but please live within your means and stop playing the class warfare game, it doesn't work. A new tax on one Minnesotan is a new tax on all Minnesotans.
No Longer in the Union

Burnsville, MN

#16 May 26, 2011
Moderation is the answer wrote:
<quoted text>The Tax breaks for the top 5% are being invested in China Mexico India and other low wage countries. if we taxed the top 5% that money would be used to build infastructure IN Minnesota or would be used to pay for our Education system which is fast becoming like the Southeast, Arizona and other Right wing wacko states. If you look at most major American corporations you would see that thay havre been building factories in these low wage countries. 3M has 113 factories off shore and 94 IN the United States. Tax breaks to the wealthy are going to low wage countries taking jobs from the united States. RIGHT WAING WACKO'S NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!
..........Put down the pipe and crawl out of your mom's basement. The reason any company, US or foreign builds factories outside the US is because they can get lower tax rates, hire more people and produce more. The SE US is booming because States like MN, IL, NJ, NY, MI, MA ( All Democrat States) are too expensive to do business. Business would rather hire people and produce goods instead of pay taxes. When you tax something you get less of it. The liberal experiment is over. Dayton and his Big Union, Inc. fat cats have ruined our country and the conservatives must fix the messs.
Doug from White Bear Lake

Fort Collins, CO

#17 May 26, 2011
cantmakeitup wrote:
Most of the time I agree with you Irish but...
how can it be even close to balanced with an additional $2 billion in spending and no additional revenue? Not buying this as fact because both parties are corrupt and both manage to find money for their pet projects and don't really seem to care if the budget is balanced or not. Despite all of the blustering and grandstanding.
See above...they can't stop spending...it's like a disease or something.
But the Dems will cry still about all the spending "cuts". Like most of the politicians who voted on this, I have not actually read it but I think it's safe to say they are not going to cut anything that might cost them votes. Only things that will let them say.."see what we did for you?", or "see what they did to you", come election time.
Agree %150 with this statement. But much like useless airports and bridges to nowhere, no one wants to cut their personal little projects.(can you say stadium?)That's when the fear mongering usually begins. "If we cut education funding teachers will be let go and classes will become larger and your children will become dumber" or "if we cut military spending and close our air base down in HandOutAStan the terrorists will win, the communists will take over and molest your mothers and your children will become slaves".
Yes and the legislature as well. Personally I place the blame squarely on the whole lot of them for not being able to play nice together. I always go back to Gov. LePetomaine..."gentlemen. ..we've got to protect our phony baloney jobs!" (Blazing Saddles)
The budget that Dayton vetoed was based on "estimated" tax revenus for the upcoming bi-enniem. The additional $2 billion is to replace the one time stimulus money MN received from the Feds. The previous budget was for $32 billion. Plus we recieved and spent $2 billion from the Feds. Thus, we actually spent $34 billion. That is how the legislature came to that number.

Dayton's proposed budget was to spend $37 billion. He planned to pay for it by creating a higher income tax bracket for the top 2% of the MN highest earners. In other words, it would only affect wealthy "workers", not those living on trust funds or other assets.(i.e small business owners who have to report business revenue and income together on their MN tax returns.) When asked by a reporter what he would spend the additonal $2 billion in tax revenue,(the actual figure mentioned wss $1.8 billion), Dayton replied he did not know. I guess he will figure out how to spend it after he gets it.

The real problem is that none of the figures being bandied about does anything to reduce the existing deficit.
gdpcon

Plymouth, MN

#18 May 26, 2011
Moderation is the answer wrote:
<quoted text>The Tax breaks for the top 5% are being invested in China Mexico India and other low wage countries. if we taxed the top 5% that money would be used to build infastructure IN Minnesota or would be used to pay for our Education system which is fast becoming like the Southeast, Arizona and other Right wing wacko states. If you look at most major American corporations you would see that thay havre been building factories in these low wage countries. 3M has 113 factories off shore and 94 IN the United States. Tax breaks to the wealthy are going to low wage countries taking jobs from the united States. RIGHT WAING WACKO'S NEED TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Moderation, go to the same schools as "Hey Moran"???? How about we look at the ROOtCAUSE OF THE ISSUE, instead of throwing more money at the problem, thinking that is the solution. How about we fix the progressive nature of our tax infrastructure, how about we fix our inflationary monetary policy, how about we fix our flawed foreign trade policy, how about we actually fix our K-12 and secondary education funding AND delivery models? Do really think continuing to throw money at this issue, with flat performance in graduation rates and test scores is root cause? Do you think continuing to run the same broken teacher pension funding model with hundreds of billions of dollars in unfunded liabilties is root cause? More money here is NOT the solution. Like Social Security, like Medicare/Medicare etc, these processes are broken. It will take strong leadership and innovative solutions to fix things and in THIS GOVERNOR, WE HAVE NEITHER.
Doug from White Bear Lake

Fort Collins, CO

#19 May 26, 2011
Doug from White Bear Lake wrote:
<quoted text>
The budget that Dayton vetoed was based on "estimated" tax revenus for the upcoming bi-enniem. The additional $2 billion is to replace the one time stimulus money MN received from the Feds. The previous budget was for $32 billion. Plus we recieved and spent $2 billion from the Feds. Thus, we actually spent $34 billion. That is how the legislature came to that number.
Dayton's proposed budget was to spend $37 billion. He planned to pay for it by creating a higher income tax bracket for the top 2% of the MN highest earners. In other words, it would only affect wealthy "workers", not those living on trust funds or other assets.(i.e small business owners who have to report business revenue and income together on their MN tax returns.) When asked by a reporter what he would spend the additonal $2 billion in tax revenue,(the actual figure mentioned wss $1.8 billion), Dayton replied he did not know. I guess he will figure out how to spend it after he gets it.
The real problem is that none of the figures being bandied about does anything to reduce the existing deficit.
Correction: The budget proposal was for $37.6 billion. The legislature paased a $34 billion dollar budget. Dayton has stated he would meet the legislature half way. In other words, he would be willing to reduce his proposal to $35.8 billion if the legislature brough their budget up to that level. Thus, the the $1.8 billon figure noted above. I apologize for the error.

Dayton campainged on making the wealthy pay their fair share of taxes. If a higher income tax bracket for the top 2% of the wage earners is not agreed to, then he will have failed to keep this promise. Apparently, failure is not an option for Dayton. spending was for
RIOT

Madison, WI

#20 May 26, 2011
I guess that Dayton thinks the same old mantra will get him some points with the people. Come on, does anyone buy that "tax the rich" theme anymore? Haven't we gotten smarter about what these comments really mean. Why in the world would we have a budget with a surplus in it, why would we provide any government more money than what it needs. They can only spend, they do not earn money, they take money and spend it.
It's like giving the grocery store an extra $50 for groceries that you haven't bought yet!
How stupid does this governor really think we are?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mankato Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Aug '14 Go Blue Forever 848
I go charged double at Dickeys barbecue. Don't go! Jul '14 Joyce 8
Mankato's historic post office seeks new life a... Jul '14 Jeanie Cooke Fred... 2
charity craft show Jul '14 Tracy 1
Free IMVU credits Jun '14 Yo mama 1
karl gregor "zeke" ziemer (Aug '11) Jun '14 abcdeftg 5
Trail Blazer Bar & Grill Apr '14 New2town 1
•••
•••
•••

Mankato Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Mankato People Search