Twin Cities / Early-spring snow extends metro area's ski season

Full story: TwinCities.com 8
Minnesota Department of Transportation co-workers of a maintenance operator who died after his backhoe was swept into the flooding Minnesota River have established a memorial fund in his name. Full Story
Rice St

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 25, 2011
I hope the Struck Family Sues the He$$ out of MnDot. That young man should have never been told to sit next to that river to break up a Ice Dam with such a light machine. The machine should have been a 345 Cat trackhoe to keep the operator safely away from the water.

When Ice dams break, its like flushing a toilet.... and his bucket pulled that machine in the river like a rag doll.

I have seen people do dumb things under peer pressure. I can see the chicken $hit supervisor call on his best guy to get the job done, as the supervisor is quietly thinking this guy is crazy for doing the job that he was TOLD to do.

(A)... PERSONALITY people should slow down and take a real good look at who your boss is before putting a Feather in the Supervisors hat.

If this was a Privet company OSHA & MSHA would have them closed down with in 24 hours, and the Media would be jerking-off all over this story.
back up

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Mar 25, 2011
The equipment was fine, it was operator error.
east side

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 25, 2011
The other paper in the twin cities reported that this guy's brother died from cancer this month. That family has experienced a lot of tragedy in a short time.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#4 Mar 25, 2011
Rice St wrote:
I hope the Struck Family Sues the He$$ out of MnDot. That young man should have never been told to sit next to that river to break up a Ice Dam with such a light machine. The machine should have been a 345 Cat trackhoe to keep the operator safely away from the water.
When Ice dams break, its like flushing a toilet.... and his bucket pulled that machine in the river like a rag doll.
I have seen people do dumb things under peer pressure. I can see the chicken **** supervisor call on his best guy to get the job done, as the supervisor is quietly thinking this guy is crazy for doing the job that he was TOLD to do.
(A)... PERSONALITY people should slow down and take a real good look at who your boss is before putting a Feather in the Supervisors hat.
If this was a Privet company OSHA & MSHA would have them closed down with in 24 hours, and the Media would be jerking-off all over this story.
Well stated.. proof that the death of common sense has been greatly exaggerated.
wow

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Mar 25, 2011
Pat wrote:
I want all of you to remember that this young man was one of the state employees that the Republican legislators want to cut.
These workers are dedicated, hard working, fearless, and give their all to the State of Minnesota, and the welfare of their fellow citizens.
Can't we do better than reducing their number, cutting their benefits and attacking their unions?
Using a tragic death to push your unionist agenda - so typical of you leftists.
TDO

El Segundo, CA

#7 Mar 25, 2011
Pat wrote:
I want all of you to remember that this young man was one of the state employees that the Republican legislators want to cut.
These workers are dedicated, hard working, fearless, and give their all to the State of Minnesota, and the welfare of their fellow citizens.
Can't we do better than reducing their number, cutting their benefits and attacking their unions?
What a putz!
LAUGHINGALLTHEWA Y

Chokio, MN

#8 Mar 25, 2011
The headline might be construed as saying first a Shovel-Brace was pulled into the river and now the kids of a Shovel-Brace.
Debbie

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Mar 25, 2011
Where can we donate? Did I miss that in the story? Thanks

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mankato Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: The Lucky Lure 11 hr Mikeoxbig 1
Man Shoots Self After Leading Mankato Police On... Dec 17 DILF 49
NEW AUTHOR, NEW BOOK, "BAD RAP" by Jeanie Cooke... Dec 6 jc cooke-fredlund 1
A Trip Back in Time (St. Peter Herald Newspaper) Dec 6 jc cooke-fredlund 1
Minnesota man charged with 15 sex abuse counts Sep '14 no name 1
I go charged double at Dickeys barbecue. Don't go! Jul '14 Joyce 8
Mankato's historic post office seeks new life a... Jul '14 Jeanie Cooke Fred... 2
Mankato Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mankato People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mankato News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mankato

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:17 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports11:17PM