Manila 4th grade basketball (what's the deal?)

Posted in the Manila Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of58
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
BASKETBALL FAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

I went to watch 4th grade boys basketball play tonight and some of the kids i did not know. WHEN I ASKED AROUND ABOUT WHO THE KIDS WERE I FOUND OUT THEY WERE 3RD GRAD STUDENTS!Now don't get me wrong but this is not right! If their were not enough 4th grade kids to have a team i would understand. But that is not the case. 4th grades kids were setting on the bench and getting no playing time or playing just long enough (20 +/- seconds)to give 3rd graders rest. I have played and been involved in sports all my life and this is not fair to these 4th grades students. It is not all about winning all the time. And by the way they (manila)lost. Someone in our school board or booster club president has to step in and tell these coaches who want their kids or best friends kid's to play that they have to wait just like everyone else's kids did. What has happened to morals? What kind of lesson are we teaching these kid's??? Really? Scott Gifford should no better!!Gifford's, Birmingham, Reihnhart. Where does this end? Im sick of it! I want to support our kids! But with this going on all the time it makes our athletics less appealing. And we are always the talk of the town in other cities! We need to get a grip on this! Where is our athletic director??? Ohh and also i have heard parent s fussing about their 7th grade boys not getting to practice with the rest of the 7th grade boys before and after school. Why are we selecting? It needs to be one or all! THATS WHAT TEAM EFFORT IS!!!!!!!!!
Someone concerned

Cherokee Village, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

I totally agree 100%
But it is about winning

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2009

Judged:

BASKETBALL FAN wrote:
I went to watch 4th grade boys basketball play tonight and some of the kids i did not know. WHEN I ASKED AROUND ABOUT WHO THE KIDS WERE I FOUND OUT THEY WERE 3RD GRAD STUDENTS!Now don't get me wrong but this is not right! If their were not enough 4th grade kids to have a team i would understand. But that is not the case. 4th grades kids were setting on the bench and getting no playing time or playing just long enough (20 +/- seconds)to give 3rd graders rest. I have played and been involved in sports all my life and this is not fair to these 4th grades students. It is not all about winning all the time. And by the way they (manila)lost. Someone in our school board or booster club president has to step in and tell these coaches who want their kids or best friends kid's to play that they have to wait just like everyone else's kids did. What has happened to morals? What kind of lesson are we teaching these kid's??? Really? Scott Gifford should no better!!Gifford's, Birmingham, Reihnhart. Where does this end? Im sick of it! I want to support our kids! But with this going on all the time it makes our athletics less appealing. And we are always the talk of the town in other cities! We need to get a grip on this! Where is our athletic director??? Ohh and also i have heard parent s fussing about their 7th grade boys not getting to practice with the rest of the 7th grade boys before and after school. Why are we selecting? It needs to be one or all! THATS WHAT TEAM EFFORT IS!!!!!!!!!
I would hate to expect my fourth grader to play if a third grader was better. Get your lazy butts out and work with your kids. You ask what has happened to the sports at Manila? I totally agree, we have a special ed teacher for a superintendant and a band teacher for a principal, and both of them are controlled by the pack of cheerleader moms that are up there every day complaining. When Coach Taylor was hired, he was told that he had control of the basketball program, well, the hen house just can't leave it alone. That is why your teams suck!!Women need to stay out of coaching the boys and trying to manipulate the program. From the Booster Club to every other aspect of the game. Let your sissy kids get coached and make them earn the right to play, and QUIT trying to force, buy, and complain them into playing time. I know all of you who are complaining, you couldn't play either.

The point is: Selecting the best is what makes the best! That is basketball. That is the coaches job. Not yours! And one other thing, what makes athletics appealing, is winning, something you know nothing about. So Gifford's, Reinhart's, Birmingham's and others that spend time with your kids and push them to achieve, keep on coming and taking over. It is a great priveledge to see good players over achieve and do well. These others can stay at home (with the Sup and Principal) very soon.
BASKETBALL FAN

Ozark, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

I DO AGREE WITH WHAT YOU ARE SAYING TOTALLY! BUT, 4th grade is 4th grade not 3rd. I played basketball from the 4th grade to Senior high. Started every game. Who cares? When i was in 3rd grade i could not wait to play in 4th grade. I worked my butt off waiting for that day of my 1st 4th grade game. What i am trying to say is it takes a team to be good these kids have to learn to play together. to make each other better. These coaches need to spend time with the 4th grade players to make them better than they are each and everyone of them. Don't push a child aside because a third grader is suppose to be better. You said it best"but its about winning" let the kids work hard to get better, make them want it. But setting them on the bench in the 4th grade when you don't even know their potential yet? Come on? Your mother or father must have paid your way into the sports program at your school to! If the 3rd graders are good then let them play Upward Bound like the rest of the 3rd graders in Manila have. I have watched third graders in the past play in Upward Bound that were way better than some 4th graders but did they get the good ol' boy treatment? NO! NO!
BASKETBALL FAN

Ozark, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

But it is about winning wrote:
<quoted text>
I would hate to expect my fourth grader to play if a third grader was better. Get your lazy butts out and work with your kids. You ask what has happened to the sports at Manila? I totally agree, we have a special ed teacher for a superintendant and a band teacher for a principal, and both of them are controlled by the pack of cheerleader moms that are up there every day complaining. When Coach Taylor was hired, he was told that he had control of the basketball program, well, the hen house just can't leave it alone. That is why your teams suck!!Women need to stay out of coaching the boys and trying to manipulate the program. From the Booster Club to every other aspect of the game. Let your sissy kids get coached and make them earn the right to play, and QUIT trying to force, buy, and complain them into playing time. I know all of you who are complaining, you couldn't play either.
The point is: Selecting the best is what makes the best! That is basketball. That is the coaches job. Not yours! And one other thing, what makes athletics appealing, is winning, something you know nothing about. So Gifford's, Reinhart's, Birmingham's and others that spend time with your kids and push them to achieve, keep on coming and taking over. It is a great priveledge to see good players over achieve and do well. These others can stay at home (with the Sup and Principal) very soon.
Ohh! And by the way i do not have any kids that play in the 4th, 5th, or 6th grade. So, i am not pushing, begging or trying to buy anything here for any body i am just stating my opinion. I take it you do and he or she plays 95% of the game whether they are loosing by 40 points or winning by forty points???????
Mad Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

I have a son that's played basketball since the 4th grade. No he's never been a starter! Reason being, the starters were the coaches kids and their friends kids. These children have gotten extra practice while the other children sat at home. I know of other children that were better than the starters and bearly got to play in any of the games. I believe it's the coaches duty to work with every child. My child was told to get better and then he would be able to come to the practices too. It seems to me we have lazy coaches. If a child needs improvement that should require them receiving more practice. Being told not to come to come to a practice tells me the coach doesn't want to do their job. That's called being lazy! I don't like my son being told he's not worth more practice time.
But it is about winning

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Judged:

Mad Parent, You said it right, "sat at home". That is where kids get better, at home, with someone rebounding or working with them. Coaches can't do it in a few hours a week. They can only give direction, then the kid and parents, or brother, or sister or someone must go home and get after it. You must remember, there is no pay for these coaches, I agree that usually a parent does it so that their kid gets to play. But, you must teach kids to overcome the obstacles. Don't feel sorry for them and complain, teach them to prove people wrong and work harder. I don't know of a coach that won't play a kid that is good enough to play.

If you don't have kids involved, why are you starting all this gossip. Let me guess, you have a third grader that didn't make the baseball team this summer, and didn't get on the championship team, so you are mad at all the ones that did. Maybe you work at the school and think you have influence over the CURRENT superintendant. Or, maybe you didn't get to coach the elementry team that you wanted to coach. Maybe you just have let one of these two I am speaking about influence you. Whatever the case the kids are the ones that get hurt. They will learn to whine and complain just like you. The world doesn't give you anything, you have to go work and compete against the best. Think about it.
BASKETBALL FAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

But it is about winning wrote:
Mad Parent, You said it right, "sat at home". That is where kids get better, at home, with someone rebounding or working with them. Coaches can't do it in a few hours a week. They can only give direction, then the kid and parents, or brother, or sister or someone must go home and get after it. You must remember, there is no pay for these coaches, I agree that usually a parent does it so that their kid gets to play. But, you must teach kids to overcome the obstacles. Don't feel sorry for them and complain, teach them to prove people wrong and work harder. I don't know of a coach that won't play a kid that is good enough to play.
If you don't have kids involved, why are you starting all this gossip. Let me guess, you have a third grader that didn't make the baseball team this summer, and didn't get on the championship team, so you are mad at all the ones that did. Maybe you work at the school and think you have influence over the CURRENT superintendant. Or, maybe you didn't get to coach the elementry team that you wanted to coach. Maybe you just have let one of these two I am speaking about influence you. Whatever the case the kids are the ones that get hurt. They will learn to whine and complain just like you. The world doesn't give you anything, you have to go work and compete against the best. Think about it.
how do we or you know that these kids are not working everyday to become better! YOU DON'T!! And neither do i! It is up to the kids to become better but not all kids are born with the natural talent!Maybe their family has never had anything to do with sports or know nothing about it but the child wants to become better and succeed! Those kids need help from the coaches that is what they are their for no matter what the age as "mad parent" said. Maybe you need to look up the definition of coach in the dictionary!Im pretty sure it doesn't say "select only a few and work with them and turn your cheek to the others for the others will have to fend for themselves!! Winning is great, accomplishment is great but their is no better feeling than helping a child in need!!! GROW UP and quit using your testicles for your brain!
BASKETBALL FAN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

OHH YEAH! I noticed "its all about winning" that Lake City popped up and your answers and comments so do resmble a BUSTER CAMBELL MENTALITY! SORRY!!!!
down the road

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Judged:

Opinions are like ass holes everyone has one! This is a public forum so there is going to be an aray of opinions on here. So, I thought I'd give mine!! First of all let me make it clear that I DO NOT HAVE A CHILD ON A SPORTS TEAM AT ALL. Neither of my children are old enought to play school sports. I attented MPS ( Manila Public School) all of my life. I played 4th grade basketball STARTING IN THE 4th GRADE!! After all I was a 4th grader!! If they are gonna allow 3rd graders to play on a 4th grade team then maybe they should take a poll and see just how many 3rd graders want to play. Then FORM a 3rd garde basketball team. It is not fair for the 4th graders who are on the team to be beanched no matter how good/bad they may be. After all practice makes perfect. For the children who are on the team, yes winning is a big deal, but IT IS NOT EVERYTHING. Nor should it be taught that winning is everything. Why raise a child up to be like that. Raise them with the understanding that sports teaches them how to become a team. How to "play" with others and how to accept other peoples advantages/disadvantages. These kids should go out there to have FUN and if they win then GREAT if they don't then maybe hopefully it will enocourage the kids to try harder. All in all it is not fair for a 4th grader to be benched b/c someone thinks a 3rd grader is a better player. If a 4th grader isn't playing up to "standards" then maybe THE COACH should give them a little more one on one practice. Instead the case seems to be that the coach only wants to work with the "better" kids. Why is that? If a kid is on the team then the kids should be allowed to attend every practice the team has. After all that is part of being a team right? A person may be known by their last name in this town, but OUTSIDE OF THIS TOWN A LAST NAME MEANS CRAP!!!!
Mad Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

This is to "but it is all about winning". Let me explain myself better. I am a mother first of all. I have a son in the 7th grade. He has experienced these problems every year since he started basketball in the 4th grade. I never played sports neither did his dead beat dad that doesn't live here. He doesn't have cousins or brothers that can help him. So please tell me if you would like to come to our house everyday to practice with him since the coach won't let him practice at the school.
this is manila

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Judged:

sports in manila is a private game system. if your not wanted there then you sit the bench and become a place holder. that goes with all sports. the coaches in this town are interested in one thing.....winning and keeping the women theyre screwing behind theyre wifes back happy. goodbye someday soon coach joke.
imontheroad

Trumann, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Judged:

well it was said that opinions are like you know whats and I agree. But I want to add this. Long-Long ago when my kids played elementary sports. We played a team that had 15 players and everyone of those kids were good players! They played all players pretty equal times and they whopped our tails. Because that coach took time to work with every child and made an outstanding team. Our coaches seem to be in a pattern of working with five or six kids and pushing the others to the back of the line! Dont understand the reasoning of that. But, maybe someday someone will come along and try to change things!
Dastardly Dan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

So many good points in here, but may I say something?

I didn't 'go out' for basketball when I was a kid, but the coach recruited me because I was tall. I got to play in 1 game.

If the team was going to do any good, much less win, he couldn't play me, I was a disaster! Clumsy and uncoordinated, shy & self conscious and too afraid to make an idiot out of myself in front of a whole gym full of people, that I actually made an idiot out of myself in front of a whole gym full of people when I played (that one time).

He knew it was hopeless. I knew it was hopeless.
I quit and he didn't object.

So, in short, not everybody is going to be a good sports figure, so why hold those back that are?

It takes extremely hard work and dedication even from those that are good.

Do those that don't seem to make the team give it what it takes?

Do you give what it takes to help them?

I would have much preferred to make the team due to my own hard work (even with someone's help), than I would to get on the team because my mother whined me on.
talk about

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Mad Parent wrote:
This is to "but it is all about winning". Let me explain myself better. I am a mother first of all. I have a son in the 7th grade. He has experienced these problems every year since he started basketball in the 4th grade. I never played sports neither did his dead beat dad that doesn't live here. He doesn't have cousins or brothers that can help him. So please tell me if you would like to come to our house everyday to practice with him since the coach won't let him practice at the school.
i know just what you are talking about..because of that 4th grade season alot of little guys have not stepped foot back on the court and dont want to because they were made to feel like they were nothing more than in the way at practice, open gym and ball games..and i know that 9 of 10 of them gave it their all never missed a practice open gym or game but they were pushed aside for very selfish reasons
talk about

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

down the road wrote:
A person may be known by their last name in this town, but OUTSIDE OF THIS TOWN A LAST NAME MEANS CRAP!!!!
i agree with you 100%....there have been and will continue to be kids fall on their face due to the reality of the real world that awaits them, because momma always made sure things went their way at any cost
faith

Manila, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2009

Judged:

Maybe the league director can help with this problem. Especially since there is more than enough 4th grades to play. It shouldnt matter who you are or whatever but 4th graders should be the ONLY ones who get to play NOT 3rd graders..They have to learn someway or another and if your a so called Volunteering coach and you treat these kids like this you are a sorry piece of work and I dont give a crap who you are!! You are nothing to me! No child should ever be turned away just because they are not good enough!
But it is about winning

Blytheville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

And how many State Championships does Manila have? How many Manila players have gone to a division one school on a scholarship? All these great parents who know so much, don't have a very good record for winning do they? Let the teams get better and the "gifted" kids that love the game continue to improve, while the kids that can't play, either catch up or go to band.
Most great players do not have someone working with them daily. Inner city kids don't even know their dad, most of the time. They stay on the court, try to get on the outside courts and play with older boys,study the game, on TV and watching other players. NOT set at home on the couch, eating poptarts and listening to mom complain, and telling them how good they are.
Mad Parent

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

This is to "but is all about winning". Can you read? I never said i was mad because my son wasn't playing in the game. I'm mad because the coaches aren't teaching. This coach is coaching certain kids during sixth period at school while my child as well as a few others are made to sit on the bench. I would just like for this coach to either kick my child off the team or let him be a part of it. I don't teach my son to be a quitter. I haven't complained about this until now. I've put up with this for years. My son has always been on honor roll as well as tutors other children. i teach him to help others. I'm sure all you have taught your kids is how to be an ass hole.
people

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2009

Judged:

4 5 6 is about learning the game ..7th and up is GAME time....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of58
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Manila Forum right now

Search the Manila Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Sandy 5 hr shut up 10
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 5 hr Answer Man 28,944
AR Who do you support for Secretary of State in Ar... (Oct '10) 11 hr Newport 213
when is peewee football signup?? 13 hr jerry 1
AR Who do you support for Governor in Arkansas in ... (Oct '10) 15 hr Guest 937
AR Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Arkansas ... (Oct '10) 15 hr Guest 1,761
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) Mon haha 9,787
•••
•••
•••
•••

Manila Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Manila People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE