Soldier Dies After Single Gunshot

Feb 23, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KMAN-AM Manhattan

Around 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, officers of the Junction City police department were dispatched to an apartment on the 300 block of West 8th street in reference to a subject suffering from a gunshot wound.

Comments
41 - 50 of 50 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ralphy

Milford, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2013

I'll probaly catch hell for this one. The way I see it, the culture today is all about ( ME ). Young folks are trying too hard to be accepted into peer groups. There is a lack of individual personality without a group. My grown kids are no better.
Our drugs in those days were pot, hash, speed and maybe a little LSD. Today you don't have much choice. Meth Meth or Meth. Not good. You aren't going to be one with the universe and get the munchys doing that. If someone went off the deep end, it was from huffing glue in a bread bag.
Like I said earlier, I did 10 yrs Army but no combat time. If a person can block all the crap out of their brains that they saw and did overseas then all the pill doctors won't be needed. It's over, done and gone. Look forward not back.
The Ozzie and Harriet world is long gone. Most families might have both parents working to supply the latest cell phone, Black Ops game and Zombie video for the kiddies. Even then, the young don't read anything except fritter, twitter or shitter. About the same as Hooked on Phonics to me. Hello Al and Peg Bundy.
Damn. I'm getting all teary eyed.

DUH

Lawrence, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Checkyourfacts wrote:
<quoted text>
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...
Suicide is not a crime. Not criminal in nature would be the euphemism used to say suicide. Criminal in nature combined with gunshot would indicate murder, manslaughter, etc. as possibilities, but not suicide.
Uh, the link you posted reads as follows "suicide n. the intentional killing of oneself. Ironically, in most states suicide is a crime, but if successful there is no one to punish. However, attempted suicide can be a punishable crime (seldom charged against one surviving the attempt). "Assisted suicide" is usually treated as a crime, either specifically (as in Michigan) or as a form of homicide (second degree murder or manslaughter), even when done as a kindness to a loved one who is terminally ill and in great pain" So how do you get that it is not a criminal act? Perhaps not punishable but investigated by law enforcement and coroner.

“Dump Brownback ”

Since: Oct 10

Junction City KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Ralphy wrote:
I'll probaly catch hell for this one. The way I see it, the culture today is all about ( ME ). Young folks are trying too hard to be accepted into peer groups. There is a lack of individual personality without a group. My grown kids are no better.
Our drugs in those days were pot, hash, speed and maybe a little LSD. Today you don't have much choice. Meth Meth or Meth. Not good. You aren't going to be one with the universe and get the munchys doing that. If someone went off the deep end, it was from huffing glue in a bread bag.
Like I said earlier, I did 10 yrs Army but no combat time. If a person can block all the crap out of their brains that they saw and did overseas then all the pill doctors won't be needed. It's over, done and gone. Look forward not back.
The Ozzie and Harriet world is long gone. Most families might have both parents working to supply the latest cell phone, Black Ops game and Zombie video for the kiddies. Even then, the young don't read anything except fritter, twitter or shitter. About the same as Hooked on Phonics to me. Hello Al and Peg Bundy.
Damn. I'm getting all teary eyed.
You're wrong in several of your concepts but I'll stick with the biggest one: the Ozzie and harriet world never existed. It was a TV sitcom. It was a concept of a group of hack writers on a Hollywood back lot designed to sell Tide and Cheetos. Mo family like that existed, or if it did it had huge dark secrets you didn't see on TV. Considering Ozzie Nelson had been a Big Band leader in the 1940s he was probably doing reefer between shows at the Copacabana and still toking in the 1950s.
interesting

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

The Kangaroo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong in several of your concepts but I'll stick with the biggest one: the Ozzie and harriet world never existed. It was a TV sitcom. It was a concept of a group of hack writers on a Hollywood back lot designed to sell Tide and Cheetos. Mo family like that existed, or if it did it had huge dark secrets you didn't see on TV. Considering Ozzie Nelson had been a Big Band leader in the 1940s he was probably doing reefer between shows at the Copacabana and still toking in the 1950s.
The only reason the Cleavers tolerated Eddie Haskell was because he used to score weed for Ward and Fred Rutherford.
changes

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

DUH wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, the link you posted reads as follows "suicide n. the intentional killing of oneself. Ironically, in most states suicide is a crime, but if successful there is no one to punish. However, attempted suicide can be a punishable crime (seldom charged against one surviving the attempt). "Assisted suicide" is usually treated as a crime, either specifically (as in Michigan) or as a form of homicide (second degree murder or manslaughter), even when done as a kindness to a loved one who is terminally ill and in great pain" So how do you get that it is not a criminal act? Perhaps not punishable but investigated by law enforcement and coroner.
I had thought that as well, because it used to be a crime; when this post came up I checked and and over the past several years nearly all states have now decriminalized suicide.
The Irony

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2013

Judged:

changes wrote:
<quoted text>
I had thought that as well, because it used to be a crime; when this post came up I checked and and over the past several years nearly all states have now decriminalized suicide.
Kind of like wiping the injection location with rubbing alcohol prior to administering a lethal injection.
Miranda Rights

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

changes wrote:
<quoted text>
Brings a whole new meaning to the right to remain silent.

Since: Aug 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

ralphy wrote:
All these young men and women know what the risks are. This is bad but no one had a gun pointed at them to enlist or reenlist. It is part of the culture of today.
Your right it is their choice to serve and it's your choice to dismiss their service whether you think you are or not.

Swearing an oath to serve is not the same as filling a application for McDonalds. You just can't go home and wash the onion smell out of your fatigues. The military and all the baggage that comes with it stays on your person and it don't wash off! Sooner or later the aroma will fade, but you can be dam sure that stain ain't going away, ever.

Most who have served since time and memorial are the poor and least respected in society. That hasn't changed before and after the draft.

So please have a care, VETs served not for glory and not for cash but for the greatest people on the planet. We take care of our own and we dont dismiss their reasons for serving.
more care needed

Junction City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

estilusti wrote:
<quoted text>

So please have a care, VETs served not for glory and not for cash but for the greatest people on the planet. We take care of our own and we dont dismiss their reasons for serving.
A real tragedy is Vets suffering from chronic, debilitating pain who live in one of the 25% of States that have medicinal marijuana, yet are unable to access it, due to the Feds suppressing that access. It`s just another slap in the face to those who sacraficed for the other 99% of the population that doesn`t serve, because they don`t have to. Those who do choose to serve deserve the very best, including access to whatever medicine can improve their quality of life.

Since: Aug 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Judged:

more care needed wrote:
<quoted text>A real tragedy is Vets suffering from chronic, debilitating pain who live in one of the 25% of States that have medicinal marijuana, yet are unable to access it, due to the Feds suppressing that access. It`s just another slap in the face to those who sacraficed for the other 99% of the population that doesn`t serve, because they don`t have to. Those who do choose to serve deserve the very best, including access to whatever medicine can improve their quality of life.
Amen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Manhattan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KS Who do you favor in the Kansas governor's race? 15 hr response 188
KS Kansas Voting Disqualification Amendment - Ment... (Oct '10) Mon erdiclary 205
Cost of living in Manhattan, Kansas (Jan '07) Aug 20 Sunny Sunflower 37
Dustin Joseph Smith (May '12) Aug 14 Loretta 5
KS Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutio... (Oct '10) Aug 7 Brownback Mountain 6,001
Nichols Set for Arraignment Jul '14 Abc 1
Review: Brookfield Residences (Sep '09) Jul '14 Abc 16

Search the Manhattan Forum:
•••
•••
Manhattan Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Manhattan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000