Budget meeting
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
TSM

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 25, 2011
Ok, next Tuesday is the finial read of the new budget. Yet none of you whiners seem to be at any of the meetings, nor talking about them. Time to put up or shut up.

Did anybody look at this months agenda? Looks like we are going to have a agency to "promote convention and tourism business". Now this is just speculation, but I'm sure it's not free.

Stop whining about your hoa assc.( the one you knew about when you bought) and come to a meeting and speak about what really matters and what you can do something about.

I assume nobody saw there will be an award for snow plowing, yes an award for doing ones job.

Does anyone know what an ordinance authorizing "the ceding of private activity bonding" is?

Or do you all want to just whine about it after the fact.

Anyone going to take the major up on his invite to discuss your concerns in person, or do you wish to still hide behind your keyboards? And no I don't agree with 95% of what takes place.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, did you all see the land is being set aside for the new library? I have a feeling you will get it whether or not you want it. Are we going to speak up or just whine?
Huh

Manhattan, IL

#2 Feb 25, 2011
WTF are you talking about? Do you go to meetings? I watch them on tv and it looks like no one is there.
Is this legal

Addison, IL

#3 Feb 25, 2011
TSM wrote:
Ok, next Tuesday is the finial read of the new budget. Yet none of you whiners seem to be at any of the meetings, nor talking about them. Time to put up or shut up.
Did anybody look at this months agenda? Looks like we are going to have a agency to "promote convention and tourism business". Now this is just speculation, but I'm sure it's not free.
Stop whining about your hoa assc.( the one you knew about when you bought) and come to a meeting and speak about what really matters and what you can do something about.
I assume nobody saw there will be an award for snow plowing, yes an award for doing ones job.
Does anyone know what an ordinance authorizing "the ceding of private activity bonding" is?
Anyone going to take the major up on his invite to discuss your concerns in person, or do you wish to still hide behind your keyboards? And no I don't agree with 95% of what takes place.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, did you all see the land is being set aside for the new library? I have a feeling you will get it whether or not you want it. Are we going to speak up or just whine?
Please in layman's terms explain what it means to cede private activity and bond such activity.
FYI

United States

#4 Feb 26, 2011
cede (sd)
tr.v. ced·ed, ced·ing, cedes
1. To surrender possession of, especially by treaty. See Synonyms at relinquish.
2. To yield; grant: The debater refused to cede the point to her opponent.
What The F

Harwood Heights, IL

#5 Feb 26, 2011
TSM wrote:
Eating the yellow snow again aren't you?
Urpoint

Bolingbrook, IL

#6 Feb 26, 2011
Huh wrote:
WTF are you talking about? Do you go to meetings? I watch them on tv and it looks like no one is there.
Ah, I think that is the point? If you don't attend the meetings, "they" will do whatever they want, because you demonstrate that you don't care!?

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#7 Feb 26, 2011
I just heard they raised the gasoline tax again in
Manhattan.
The WHOLE town should show up to a meeting, maybe then they would understand that we can't afford more taxes.
Huh

Chicago, IL

#8 Feb 26, 2011
4info you are an idiot. They did not raise the gas tax. Get your shit straight b4 u starting posting.
Urpoint

Bolingbrook, IL

#9 Feb 27, 2011
They raised the natural gas 5%, Telecommunications 5%, Water 5%, electric 5% tax recently.

In the 2010-2011 budget they raised the gasoline tax .02. That's the truth.
Huh

Chicago, IL

#10 Feb 27, 2011
But they did not raise the gasoline tax again. Thats the truth!
Intrested

United States

#11 Feb 27, 2011
So why is the budget not online?
TSM

United States

#12 Feb 27, 2011
Yes we do monitor the agendas and attend the meetings that have any items of concern to us.
We respectfully speak our mind and make our concerns known, while the board doesn't see things our way most of the time, we at least made the effort, and are then justified in our complaints, but yes youbare correct it's a ghost down in the seats, especially after the families of the award winners of the month leave.
Urpoint

Bolingbrook, IL

#13 Feb 27, 2011
Huh wrote:
But they did not raise the gasoline tax again. Thats the truth!
Oh, okay... they haven't raised it in the last month... just within the last year.. So, your right? Let's all thank the board for not raising the gasoline tax AGAIN this month!
Huh

United States

#14 Feb 27, 2011
Why don't we thank all the a!!holes over seas for driving up the price of gas.
Urpoint

Bolingbrook, IL

#15 Feb 27, 2011
Huh wrote:
Why don't we thank all the a!!holes over seas for driving up the price of gas.
Because this forum is about a village budget meeting? Where a board you support keeps raising our taxes. Start a different forum if you want to talk about the A-holes overseas and jacked up gas prices! This is about the ones here and increased TAXES, that the majority of the board recently voted yes to.(and let me clarify, "Within the last year for the gasoline tax," so not to hurt your feelings).
Huh

Manhattan, IL

#16 Feb 27, 2011
U also fail to mention about the property tax decrease. Oh but that would be something positive so why would that ever get posted on Topix?
Urpoint

Bolingbrook, IL

#17 Feb 27, 2011
Huh wrote:
U also fail to mention about the property tax decrease. Oh but that would be something positive so why would that ever get posted on Topix?
It has already been discussed. Please attempt to contribute to the conversation? I will re-post an old explanation of the "boasted" whippy property tax reduction. Please see below:

But you also fail to mention what else the paper said. The property taxes were decreased .25 cents per 100 assessed value. Those are to make up the difference. It is a big movement of money is all it is. Instead of taking it straight from property taxes they are pulling a little from everywhere now. It should be the same amount regardless. Just tell the whole story when you complain instead of only the half that YOU want people to hear.

Okay, let me make it simple for you.... They dropped the property tax, because all of our properties have decreased in value! Hence, with lower property values and foreclosures, they are not getting the $ they want and they’re too lazy to cut spending. Don't think for a second, it was because they were concerned for Mr. & Mrs. Manhattan or your wallet! So to tell the whole story, the majority of us will be paying more out of our pockets with the "decreased" property tax included. If you really believe "it should be" about the same amount... Okay? However, I can guarantee they've already figured out that the majority of us will pay more! So you keep dreaming
Beenthere

United States

#18 Feb 28, 2011
I've been to a few of the meetings before, heard several people get up there and stand up for themselves and us, the board just did what they wanted to do what they had planned anyway. They are crooked beyond belief! It is so sickening to go to them! I was so frustrated when we left! Sooo many people just walk out early. They suck and dont care what we feel about ANYTHING!
Urpoint

Bolingbrook, IL

#19 Feb 28, 2011
Beenthere wrote:
I've been to a few of the meetings before, heard several people get up there and stand up for themselves and us, the board just did what they wanted to do what they had planned anyway. They are crooked beyond belief! It is so sickening to go to them! I was so frustrated when we left! Sooo many people just walk out early. They suck and dont care what we feel about ANYTHING!
That is why I am NOT voting for Biscan or Naughton! They both voted yes to all of these increases and then act like they are for the people. I have taken three signs out of my yard from that Biscan and he keeps putting them back in!
In The Know

United States

#20 Feb 28, 2011
If he does it again, call the police. He is tresspassing on your property! I have heard from several people that they didn't ask for his sign in their yard, it just showed up. The police will tell him that he has to get permission from the property owner to place a sign in their yard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manhattan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2017 LW BOE elections 48 min Example 45
2017 Village election 13 hr Orange like 9
Front Street - Mokena,Ill. 15 hr sue 63
Link Card? (Feb '13) 17 hr Bella 23
Mike Bartos laughs at Mokena Park District (Oct '15) 17 hr DaBartfart 16
Entire Park Board should resign (Jan '16) 20 hr Mokena Cares 10
Mike Bartos Writes Gay Slurs on Employee Car (Nov '15) 20 hr Jowermer03 14

Manhattan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance