Which candidates will?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Buy Local

United States

#1 Feb 26, 2013
Which mayor candidate will 1) Will bring new and help existing businesses in Manhattan. 2) Develop an industrial park. 3) Establish a viable downtown. 4) Bring to the table a plan to double the size of our town, so that businesses will follow. 5) Provide short term tax incentives to all of the above. As always support your local businesses. Ripping them here does not improve our financial situation.
If we really want to see our taxes drop it's time to stop bickering and move forward. Can any of these current candidates achieve this? Convince me who should get my vote.
big daddy

Chicago, IL

#2 Feb 26, 2013
Buy Local wrote:
Which mayor candidate will 1) Will bring new and help existing businesses in Manhattan. 2) Develop an industrial park. 3) Establish a viable downtown. 4) Bring to the table a plan to double the size of our town, so that businesses will follow. 5) Provide short term tax incentives to all of the above. As always support your local businesses. Ripping them here does not improve our financial situation.
If we really want to see our taxes drop it's time to stop bickering and move forward. Can any of these current candidates achieve this? Convince me who should get my vote.
There's still plenty of old time Manhattan people that don't want this vision. And how would someone be able to pull off No. 5?
Manhattan Resident

Manhattan, IL

#3 Feb 26, 2013
Buy Local wrote:
Should this been the job of the Administrator and Town planner? I bet both these salaries are about quarter mil between the two.
big daddy

Chicago, IL

#4 Feb 26, 2013
Granted the Borgo adminstration is paid big bucks and returns nothing (maybe a few phone calls) in exchange for the compensation, I do not want to return to the Doyle era either. What a quandary. Perhaps leave Borgo in place but give him all loyal to Doyle trustees. And then if Borgo should start to trim administrative costs, then in the 2015 election we might let him have a trustee of his choosing. Might. In the end, such a board composition may just work very well around here and Borgo would be in a place of nuetrality and subject to the superior stand of the collective Village board. And don't look for innovative growth and tax reduction anytime soon. There are many, many old time residents that want to see Manhattan stay just as it is until they take that last breath.
Buy Local

United States

#5 Feb 26, 2013
big daddy wrote:
<quoted text>There's still plenty of old time Manhattan people that don't want this vision. And how would someone be able to pull off No. 5?
The old Manhattan mentality missed the potential growth and tax base that could have been. Same group that complains about higher taxes now. Hopefully we will not miss the next growth in Will County.#5 will keep struggling existing businesses viable and encourage new businesses to invest here.
Been their done that

Manhattan, IL

#6 Feb 26, 2013
I like buy locals views.
Buy Local

United States

#7 Feb 26, 2013
I woild like to hear all candidates respond to all 5 points above. Best plan gets my vote. Don't rip your opponent state your own plan for development and lowering taxes
truth

Bolingbrook, IL

#8 Feb 27, 2013
Buy Local wrote:
I woild like to hear all candidates respond to all 5 points above. Best plan gets my vote. Don't rip your opponent state your own plan for development and lowering taxes
They don't have to rip each other [1]Under Borgo the village staff salaries are higher then ever .[2]Higher property taxes.[3] Every year 5% higher water bill.[4] Put in all the utility taxes that we pay now.[5] And the most important has done nothing to help bring or keep any business in the town. Mr Borgo has had his chance for 8 years, it is time for him to go.
big daddy

Chicago, IL

#9 Feb 27, 2013
You are being quite kind to him - calling him Mister. Lots of people refer to him with unflattering words.
Dude

Manhattan, IL

#10 Feb 27, 2013
All five should have a town hall meeting and answer the voters questions. It is harder to lie when people are looking you in the eye.
Buy Local wrote:
Spanky

Manhattan, IL

#11 Feb 27, 2013
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>All five should have a town hall meeting and answer the voters questions. It is harder to lie when people are looking you in the eye.
I agree. If they really want to get their message across on why we should vote for them I think a meeting expressing their views would be appropriate. I don't think a lot of questions get answered with the door to door or flyers.
Buy Local

United States

#12 Feb 28, 2013
Still waiting for a candidates reply. Perhaps none have a answer. No one has my vote yet. It will take more than a sign to get it.
big daddy

Cicero, IL

#13 Feb 28, 2013
Buy Local wrote:
Still waiting for a candidates reply. Perhaps none have a answer. No one has my vote yet. It will take more than a sign to get it.
I second that.
Buy Local

United States

#14 Mar 1, 2013
Challenge still out there candidates !
Change is gonna come

Des Plaines, IL

#15 Mar 3, 2013
I like Mike! Vote for Adrieansen people! Give the new guy a shot!
cute redhead

Cicero, IL

#16 Mar 3, 2013
Just like at Woodstock.
Hahaha

Elwood, IL

#17 Mar 3, 2013
Has anyone seen a Borgo lawn sign? I just wonder what he's planning to do to get votes. I see plenty of people supporting Doyle, but you wouldn't even know Borgo was running.

This is such a change compared to years past.

The lack of information about the candidates is disappointing. I would like to see a debate and find out what their plans are. I'm certain Borgo wouldn't be interested considering his issues controlling his temper at various village meetings.
blue jeans blues

Mokena, IL

#18 Mar 4, 2013
Okay we know Borgo lacks in the personality department, but you suggest Doyle is somehow charismatic. Not so. I know.
eazee

United States

#19 Mar 4, 2013
Give the new guy your vote, i am. We need a new start, borgo has not done it in 8 yrs.don hunt?? doyle?? By the way, is hunt still in, i herd he dropped out??'I LIKE MIKE ADRIEASEN '.
embarrassed for you

Manhattan, IL

#20 Mar 4, 2013
I'm voting for the white guy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manhattan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald Trump to continue to be paid as executiv... 1 hr 4Real 29
What Happened to Appalled? (Sep '10) 3 hr Appalled 14
Mancrappins New Low 7 hr Wamo2 1
Mobile boiler at LWC 7 hr Truth is 7
SWAT trucks at Target 9 hr Appalled 13
2017 Village election 13 hr Jethro 30
If you can't afford The Creamery Dec 7 wamo2 15

Manhattan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance