Veterans react to Supreme Court's military funeral ruling

Full story: York Dispatch

Spring Grove's Bob Zeigler was worried last weekend what Westboro Baptist Church supporters would do at the funeral service for Army First Lt.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Mar 11, 2011
Jim Allen

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

"The biggest modern error in understanding freedom of speech comes from viewing it as a right to be heard (or seen) in every imaginable situation. Such was never the purpose of the constitutional freedom."

http://federalistblog.us/2008/10/freedom_of_s...
tim

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

sickening. there will be bloodshed over this.
outraged but not shocked

Etters, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

Asking for the right to be allowed the simple dignity and much deserved respect at the death of one of our own- who died protecting all of our freedoms; isn't really even about free speech. Its about respect in a time that is so heartbreaking for these families. I find the judges to be grossly insensitive in this decision of theirs- and a complete slap in the faces of our military and their families. They remind me of the protesters who spit on the soldiers when they returned from Vietnam. That is exactly what these judges have done with this decision- they are spitting on the families of our own military - whose sons and daughters died while protecting those same damn judges rights.~smh~ bastards.
Tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of Matts death. Mr. Snyder- I am so sorry.
Abide or Change

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Also as a veteran, would you recommend tearing up the present Constitution and start over, thinking present day legislators could do a better job (oh my). If not, it is the law of the land, we gotta' live with it, but we don't have to like it! Love it or leave it!
"Fair Winds and Following Seas"!
Observer -Ex G I

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

A disgusting decision by the supreme court BUT- Considering recent appointments and who did it it's not surprising. Will this country survive till Jan. 20th, 2013?
ladygramm1

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

Fredom of speech is one thing - harrassment and ignorance is quite another. These people have no resect for anything or anyone. THEY ARE A DISGRACE TO WHAT THIS COUNTRY STANDS FOR....THESE MEN AND WOMEN ARE FIGHTING FOR OUR COUNTRY TO KEEP US SAFE - AND THE SUPREME COURT JUST GAVE THEM A PAT ON THE BACK. THE SUPREME COURT RULING WAS A TRAVESTY. GOD HELP US ALL TO WHAT THIS COUNTRY HAS BECOME BECAUSE OF A SMALL GROUP OF IGNORANT PEOPLE...
Ed Kay

Downers Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

We protect the "scum of the earth" to hurt the family of our war dead on the grounds of "free speech", but we deny that a Nativity scene has anything to do with Christmas because we rule it cannot appear on public property at Christmastime! We are one screwed up country--and it comes from the top down--from the top down from all the branches of our government.
Don

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

So let them move to another country. if it werent for these vets they would NEVER be able to hold these unAMERICAN signs. They need to ALL die with their signs in their hands. END OF SUBJECT
Mike

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2011

Judged:

All members of this church should be tried for treason. The court has over thought this, it is not a freedom of speech case, it's a right to privacy. What has happened to a families right to privacy? Political views and right wing groups are allowed to invade a famalies private moments. They do need to go through the cities they protest in for so called permission to do so, and who is the person or persons that grant this? Maybe they purchase a permit to do so and the almighty dollar wins out. Loock these people in an NFL stadium with the terrorists that they are being protected from for a couple days, then open the doors and see who is left.
just saying

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

Judged:

i wanna know why this isnt being tried as a hate crime. If it was people holding and chanting about anyone else it would be. this is disgraceful. no wonder other countries look at us the way they do. You can't yell fire in a movie theatre but you can thank god for dead soldiers and breast cancer. And what kills me is they are not just protesting our young men and women who are dying for us l..they are protesting wwII veterans funerals too . And what makes it worse they are getting a tax status of a church..... I just hope if there is a god when it comes time for them to meet their maker. they get what they deserve. Isn't one of the biggest things in the Bible.....judge not lest ye be judged. I guess they skipped over that part
Andrew

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2011

Judged:

"free speech thing"?! to describe the very first right in the bill of rights merely as a "thing," shows that maybe some of these veterans don't really know what they were fighting for.
Cathy Zechman

Gap, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

My son is in Afghanistan right now. He's fighting to keep us safe. I'm glad he isn't here to hear this. I think we should go to all their member's of that church funeral's and picket at their funeral's! How would they feel is they can't have a private funeral. My son's been in the Army for 7 years and this is not what he's been fighting for.
do something

Baghdad, Iraq

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2011

its time for americans to do something. half of a percent of the population is in actively engaged in this war. for those that are in this war, a lot of them are deploying again and again and again. it is the same families that are making the sacrifice repeatedly for 99.5% of the population to sit around and talk about how great america is. for example, daren hidalgo's family is a family of veterans. his brothers both served overseas and his father is a vet as well.

most americans enjoy the comfortable pleasure of being able to talk shit, voicing their meaningless opinions to each other while they watch the news and eat potato chips. unfortunately i have to say this but at least the westboro baptist church has the guts to actually leave their computer screens or couch and get up and make a statement. if they make you so sick, get off of your lazy ass and do something about it. i'm not condoning violence but i would be willing to bet that if one of those guys got dragged across the street and beat with a stick he would think twice about doing it next time. i guess that most of you are waiting on that .5 percent or their families to do it for you. its disgusting. ok, so maybe you dont have to go to that extreme, but donate some of your precious couch time and actually DO SOMETHING. the soldiers are doing it for you.

its sad watching this jibber jabber about constitution this and constitution that online. what has happened america?

by the way, i'm writing this from Iraq. i'm here with some of the half of a percent that has actually signed up to DO SOMETHING. it would be nice if someone had our backs. and i dont mean by typing some bullshit on a blog somewhere that no one is going to read like i am doing now. i'm doing my part here. what are you doing?
George

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2011

Jim Allen wrote:
"The biggest modern error in understanding freedom of speech comes from viewing it as a right to be heard (or seen) in every imaginable situation. Such was never the purpose of the constitutional freedom."
http://federalistblog.us/2008/10/freedom_of_s...
Yep! You have a right to speak but not be heard!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Manchester Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Manchester Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••