Are wine, liquor costlier in Pa.? Yes...

Are wine, liquor costlier in Pa.? Yes and no

There are 9 comments on the York Dispatch story from May 27, 2011, titled Are wine, liquor costlier in Pa.? Yes and no. In it, York Dispatch reports that:

It pays to pick up a bottle of rum or wine for that summer barbecue party while vacationing at the New Jersey shore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.

Bro1856

Cockeysville, MD

#1 May 27, 2011
Maybe the service is better in the non-union stores.
Mozilla

Pflugerville, TX

#2 May 27, 2011
The State where Rye whiskey was born....has a horrible selection of whiskey. Go figure!

Pa LCB will bring in a new item...only when you order a case of it. How many people buy by the case?
Or, they bring a label in....and six months later....when it hasn't caught-on, like wildfire, they put it on 'Close-out' and slash the price. Then it never comes back.

What they are doing in Pa. regarding whiskey...is, narrow your choices till you only see about 10% of the options that another state has available. Then, with a low number of choices to the consumer....they can force consumers to the labels that 'they' want to sell you(which I'm sure they bought in bulk and are making a good profit margin on). I don't think what they are doing...goes along with the free market system. They also, don't want you to go to another state and purchase liquor there, and bring it back home with you. They outlaw that option.

I could understand the Pa Govmt's decision to operate like that on a store to store basis....but, to lump the whole state in to that system really curtails the available options to the consumers, for whome the LCB is set up to help.

This type of 'over-reaching' Govt arm has really become unaffordable in todays economy.

I heard that the LCB was allowing consumers to mail order liquor(from other states)...but, am uncertain if that still is being overlooked/allowed.

I hope the current climate for change brings some needed relief to Pa's whiskey lovers. Live Free or Die. Oh, sorry.....that's Connecticut.
Unions out

Lancaster, PA

#3 May 27, 2011
DC liquor prices are 35% cheaper than PA. Buying power can't overcome the cost of overpaid union employees.
TaxNoMore

United States

#4 May 27, 2011
DUMP THE 3,600 UNION PIGS

DUMP THE “Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board”

Buy wine and beer any day of the week.

Let freedom ring!!!
spud

Dallas, TX

#5 May 27, 2011
Learn to make your own wine and the problem will be solved. We can't really depend on government to do anything well, can we?
Eric

Exton, PA

#6 May 28, 2011
Mozilla wrote:
What they are doing in Pa. regarding whiskey...is, narrow your choices till you only see about 10% of the options that another state has available. Then, with a low number of choices to the consumer....they can force consumers to the labels that 'they' want to sell you(which I'm sure they bought in bulk and are making a good profit margin on).
Like the article says the profit margins are 30% mark-ups on everything, that being said it's a 30% markup from the regular price, as you said they but certain things in bulk and that becomes a higher mark-up, at the same time there are regulations that basically say that if there is a certain amount of a product in the warehouse it has to go on sale so the mark-up really doesn't always go up much, if at all.

I wouldn't mind if they marked up based on popularity and bought low, and didn't put things on sale just because of they have a lot of it. What I mind is that they manage to LOSE MONEY on liquor sales. How do you lose money on alcohol ... especially when bars have to buy through LCB as well ... they can't buy out of state and they are closely watched ... just on that they should stay in the black but don't. Privatizing would mean a company would take all the risk and even when they fail PA gets all the reward (taxes) without being able to lose any money.
Mozilla wrote:
I heard that the LCB was allowing consumers to mail order liquor(from other states)...but, am uncertain if that still is being overlooked/allowed.
It is not being overlooked, PA has taken multiple online retailers to court over shipping liquor into the state, even if that liquor isn't available in the state. Because of this most US online liquor retailers have stopped shipping to PA and will not accept orders.
Eric

Exton, PA

#7 May 28, 2011
Unions out wrote:
DC liquor prices are 35% cheaper than PA. Buying power can't overcome the cost of overpaid union employees.
I agree that unions increase the cost, but some of the private store will have unions and be just as powerful. The problem comes from the fact that the stores are badly run. BUT part of the reason they are badly run is there hands are tied .... lets be realistic, REPUBLICANS want to privatize so they will never allow the price changes/increased services the head of stores wants ... that autonomy would increase viability and that would stop privatization efforts, or at least slow them. The DEMOCRATS will forever hold changes like these off until privatization gets close and then say "wait wait we have an idea, lets do a study and then implement and another study". By the time thats done privatization is forgoten for another 10 years.
Seriously

Bowman, SC

#8 May 29, 2011
spud wrote:
Learn to make your own wine and the problem will be solved. We can't really depend on government to do anything well, can we?
The "government" is making wine?
spud

Chicago, IL

#9 May 29, 2011
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
The "government" is making wine?
The government is selling it. If you made your own you wouldn't have to pay their price.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Manchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police log: Boy, 11, in critical condition afte... (Nov '08) May 25 NoQuarter 36
News York man arrested for DUI twice in one day (Nov '10) May 15 Real Adam chirico 35
News Zach Witman: 'Take a second look' (Dec '10) May 11 Concerned Parent 545
Church revival May 9 Shawn 1
News Prison for York heroin dealer who sold deadly dose May 4 Justellnthetruth 1
News Police: 33 cited, 9 arrested at 'illegala Apr 30 Justellnthetruth 1
News Obama kicks off six-day European tour in Ireland (May '11) Apr '17 R12 Freon 40

Manchester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Manchester Mortgages